• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I really like Goodwill .... well, mostly

wanderer03

One of the distinct advantages of living in an affluent area is that the wealthy rarely keep things for very long. I've recently found all kinds of little gems. I needed a new toaster oven and found one in perfect working order for 22.95. It's a KitchenAid and all it needed was a light cleaning. On occasion, you find something that was discarded legitimately. This happened to me with a Cuisinart coffee maker. Sadly, there was a distinct reason this one was discarded: it leaked water out of the bottom. Thankfully, I'm still within the return period so back she goes.

I know some IT people who go to Goodwill and root around for routers and other things that they can get for super-cheap and play around and experiment with.

I've only recently come across thrift stores and I quite like them. Usually all I buy are clothes though. They're already broke in and I don't have to pay $20+ for a shirt or $30+ for a pair of pants. If I can find my size, anyway.

Flea markets are a lot of fun too! I've come across a few vendors that sell nothing but old Nintendo and Sega cartridges. If only I had a game system for it!

I actually went into Goodwill for the first time the other day and loved it. I got a bunch of name brand clothes for a fraction of the cost. I even found a Portland Timbers shirt that can run up to $70 for $10. The only thing I was bummed about was that I couldn't find a good pair of running shoes, but then again, I have weird feet, so I'm not that surprised. I'm going to try a different Goodwill across town and see if I can find some.

Goodwills aren't as much fun as they used to be, around here.
They are over priced and trying too hard to look like 'real stores.'
Also they are bringing in too much new material (not donations that
were owned by anyone.)

Some things in the Goodwill cost more than they do in a
store that has all new items.

Goodwills aren't as much fun as they used to be, around here.
They are over priced and trying too hard to look like 'real stores.'
Also they are bringing in too much new material (not donations that
were owned by anyone.)

Some things in the Goodwill cost more than they do in a
store that has all new items.

Goodwill Goes Upscale With New Boutiques - LA Times

I just saw this on Digg and you reminded me of it. It seems like they're trying to desperately gain more of a wider consumer base.

Honestly, if they are to do that, they need to break misconceptions. I grew up thinking they had a bunch of crappy products; stains and holes in clothing, books covered in who knows what, broken toys, and those sorts of things. It wasn't until I was poor and in desperate need of clothes did I walk into a store just to find they had a bunch of barely worn name brand clothing for a fraction of the cost. It was nothing like I imagined.

Goodwill is alright, but as far as clothes are concerned, I prefer Salvation Army. They have more deals going on instead of the colored barb/sticker sale that Goodwill does. Sometimes Salvation Army will do a sale where everything except one or two colors is 50% off. They also have weekly 50% off furniture. I don't mind either store--as long as they're not crowded!!

I like thrift shops too but, I'm on the other side of things. I like them because I can give them the things I no longer need or want but that are perfectly good, often near new condition and, those things will be affordable to someone who doesn't quite have my income.

Sent of two Keurig Coffee makers and two large boxes of clothes last week. I got a new wardrobe and, an newer Keurig. the old stuff was fine, worked perfectly, clothes not stained, torn or faded at all but, I don't need them and someone out there probably does need or, at least want them.

The Shop I took my stuff to will sell the Keurigs for 20.00 each and the clothes for 1 to 5.00 each piece. needless to say, I paid a lot more for them (mostly designer label clothes) but, that's the whole idea, others can enjoy a bit of luxury because things I consider everyday items are now affordable to them.

I used to like Goodwill until I discovered that the CEO makes 7 figures.
Think about it. They get the donations for free, and then sell them. And most of their laborforce is also unpaid. I don't remember if sheltered workshops were actually made illegal, or if it was just some sort of symbolic "executive action" by Obama, but they have also been big into those.

I used to like Goodwill until I discovered that the CEO makes 7 figures.

The average salary for a non profit CEO in the USA is $103,000.00 and, that doesn't include bonuses, the cost of insurances for the CEO pain by the non profit organization or any other things that may supplement their income. Add those and the average goes to well over $200,000.00 annually per CEO.

Goodwill is on the high end, but no worse than many others for having well paid CEOs. Remember, paying your CEO is an expense so, if it looks like the year is going to a profit, raise the CEO's Salary, spend the profits. I know that isn't what most hope a non profit does but, it's the reality of what happens. They have a set budget for whatever they provide, once that is done, they have to spend any profit somewhere and, in most cases that is on the management of the organization's salaries.

I don't remember if sheltered workshops were actually made illegal, or if it was just some sort of symbolic "executive action" by Obama, but they have also been big into those.

To my knowledge section 14 c of the Fair Labor Standards Act of 1938 still applies:

This Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) Section 14(c) Advisor provides guidance on Section 14(c) of the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA), which authorizes employers, after receiving a certificate from the U.S. Department of Labor (DOL) Wage and Hour Division (WHD), to pay special minimum wages - wages less than the Federal minimum wage - to workers who have disabilities for the work being performed. The certificate also allows the payment of wages that are less than the prevailing wage to workers who have disabilities for the work being performed on contracts subject to the McNamara-O'Hara Service Contract Act (SCA) and the Walsh-Healey Public Contracts Act (PCA). The Regulations applicable to FLSA Section 14(c) are contained at 29 CFR Part 525.

http://webapps.dol.gov/elaws/whd/flsa/14c/

Area Goodwills are separate entities. They pay employees a fair wage in my area, and over 90% of profit goes back to the community. The reason they are separate is to focus on specific needs in the local community. In my area, the main focus is on disability services and housing.

New Threads

Top Bottom