• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I hate the pool

Table

I know how to swim and all but actually going swimming is so stressful.
It needs to be hot enough outside in the first place for me to want to swim in an outdoor unheated pool (like my family has), and that’s like 90 degrees.
I also suffer from body dysphoria so even in a male swimsuit and a swim binder it can be somewhat dysphoria.
I’m also not one to roughhouse. My niece wants to swim with me but I know she’d want to play and splash and I hate that. I need to be in a pool with calm people who aren’t going to splash or roughhouse.
People are always asking me to come swimming but it stresses me out so much. I literally would rather sit inside and do my AP Chem work than go swimming with my entire family in the pool.

I completely understand this one, I said the same thing last night to my wife. I’m ok if no one is splashing around and stuff but if there’s horse play then forget it I’m done.

So do you stay inside and do your AP Chem work and everyone is happy or is something else implied here?

I'll wade in the water but I don't like swimming. Or even sitting in a hot tub that's up to my chest or more. Whenever I'm in the water and it's on my chest the buoyancy feels like it's holding the air out of me and it's very difficult to breathe.

I can see how it could be stressful, but for me it's a good thing.
I need a certain level of conflict or I lose drive and become depressed.
The pool is good for me because it's low level conflict - all in good fun and easy to control/defuse once I've had enough.

Sorry you don't enjoy it.

I'll wade in the water but I don't like swimming. Or even sitting in a hot tub that's up to my chest or more. Whenever I'm in the water and it's on my chest the buoyancy feels like it's holding the air out of me and it's very difficult to breathe.

That feeling is just the pressure on your chest, strengthening your diaphragm and intercostal muscles will reduce the discomfort - core muscle groups and aerobic exercise will do the trick.

I had this problem when I was a kid.

I like swimming, but don't like the cold sensation of the water when you first enter. Also, my feet are sensitive, so walking on sand and pebbles (on beaches) is extremely uncomfortable. Pools and beaches are often noisy places, too, with screaming kids and awful music.

I enjoy swimming occasionally.
We have our own pool so I don't have anyone to annoy me. I like to swim alone.
No swimsuit required.

One time I took a cup of pool water to the bathroom and peed in it to see if it would turn blue. It didnt.

yeah you can tell if there's a lot of pee in the pool by the smell - if it has that "chlorine" smell that's not chlorine.
Like natural gas, chlorine doesn't have a scent - part of why it's so deadly - you don't know you're in danger until you can't breath.

:eek: My doctor husband has always called swimming pools "public urinals". LOL

Did you write this post 100% correctly? Implying that your husband (who is a doctor) calls them public urinals? Or did you mean your doctor's husband (meaning your doctor has a husband, who calls them public urinals)?
Or... did you switch things around and actually mean your husband's doctor?

The grammar sensitivity of this sentence just tickles me... please tell me... which is it?!

To me they are not just public urinals, but public toilets. It's nothing but beaches for me. I don't actually mind the noise that much, beaches are surprisingly relaxing for me even when busy because there are no bums, drunks or drug addicts on the beaches.

yeah you can tell if there's a lot of pee in the pool by the smell - if it has that "chlorine" smell that's not chlorine.
Like natural gas, chlorine doesn't have a scent - part of why it's so deadly - you don't know you're in danger until you can't breath.

This actually isn't 100% true. The smell comes from any and all organic materials. I remember swimming in a pool abroad. In winter. Outside. There was zero smell. Either there's no chlorine in that water (I was told there about how infamous the pools there are for their filth) or it's simply because nobody was there. One pattern I have seen is that the more people there are at a pool, the stronger the smell. So this smell really doesn't say anything, unless you got a really strong smell at an empty pool. In which case something went terribly wrong. Or no smell at a busy pool. That might mean there's no chlorine in there whatsoever... which means you get a package deal.

Did you write this post 100% correctly? Implying that your husband (who is a doctor) calls them public urinals? Or did you mean your doctor's husband (meaning your doctor has a husband, who calls them public urinals)?
Or... did you switch things around and actually mean your husband's doctor?

The grammar sensitivity of this sentence just tickles me... please tell me... which is it?!

To me they are not just public urinals, but public toilets. It's nothing but beaches for me. I don't actually mind the noise that much, beaches are surprisingly relaxing for me even when busy because there are no bums, drunks or drug addicts on the beaches.

This actually isn't 100% true. The smell comes from any and all organic materials. I remember swimming in a pool abroad. In winter. Outside. There was zero smell. Either there's no chlorine in that water (I was told there about how infamous the pools there are for their filth) or it's simply because nobody was there. One pattern I have seen is that the more people there are at a pool, the stronger the smell. So this smell really doesn't say anything, unless you got a really strong smell at an empty pool. In which case something went terribly wrong. Or no smell at a busy pool. That might mean there's no chlorine in there whatsoever... which means you get a package deal.

First part - Mary is referring to her husband who is a doctor - you can tell because of the syntax "doctor husband" as opposed to "Husband's doctor"

Second part -
you miss understand my statement.
the smell people associate with chlorine doesn't come from chlorine - it comes from chloramines, chemical compounds that build up in pool water when it is improperly treated - a combination of chlorine, perspiration, oils and urine.

There are smells that come from pools that are not chlorinated are different, but I wasn't talking about these.
These would smell more like stagnate water - like a pond with no outlet mixed with a dirty locker room.

Last edited:
I know. First option is correct due to the grammar, but I want to make sure that is what she meant and need her to confirm. It's very important to me.

I've seen all sorts of garbage at the bottom of public (and not so public) swimming pools, and in retrospect I should have totally vomited the contents of my stomach right then and there.

A sparkling clean swimming pool would be nice for a change.

New Threads

Top Bottom