• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I hardly watch any TV shows and movies and listen to music

OrangeRock

V.I.P Member
I hardly watch any TV shows or movies.
I watch Wisecrack's analysis of popular TV shows and movies sped up, e.g. 1.5x/2.0x.
I love Wisecrack's analysis -- how they get straight into the meaning.
I'm too impatient to sit for 2 hours straight watching a movie, although I have no problems sitting in front of the computer.

As for music.
I hardly listen to it.
If I listen to music, then I prefer instrumentals, since I used to play piano and clarinet. I played clarinet in marching band and concert band. I got piano tutoring when I was a teenager. I used to play a lot of music. I also used to be in my school district's honors band several times.
When I listen to music, I mostly listen to the jazz or classical radio while driving, or I listen to what my brother suggests for me. Then, I forget about most of the music as I focus on my to-do tasks.
Lately, I've been into some LIVE dark viking music that MotivationMan, a Youtuber, listens to while working out.

Is anyone else like me?

I watch TV shows and I listen to music, I just don't listen to popular shows or music. I rarely watch movies these days.

When it comes to stuff like this, all I care about is if it sucks or not.

And sadly, as far as I'm concerned, basically everything on TV falls into the "suck" category. It's all sex and spectacle. As opposed to good story and character development, or interesting concepts.

I used to watch alot of things such as I Love Lucy, Bewitched, The Munsters, X-Files, Outer Limits, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Friday the 13th: The Series... things along that line. I tend to be a fan of alot of really old shows, or things that fall into the "horror" category (or a combination of horror and comedy, as with Buffy). But they dont really make much like those anymore. The ONE thing I have found in recent times is Supernatural, which is basically a modern Buffy except with way more blood (seriously it's just flying all over the place half the time) and everyone dies alot. I also watched some of iZombie, that I did like. But aside from those two, I've found next to nothing. And it's not like I havent tried searching. But I just dont find anything. It seems to be all sitcoms and reality shows now.

As for movies, well... like you, I have not the patience for them. They just require that I sit still too long, and they have this annoying tendency to take awhile to ramp up and really get to the bloody story. Which is a shame, I know there's LOTS of good horror stuff in movies (though also lots of campy stupid ones) but... ugh. Yeah, I dont have the patience. Granted I also havent actually TRIED any in forever.

However, I'm big on Youtube. It's most of what I watch these days. I'll watch LPs from various people, or sometimes I will find a series like Dont Hug Me, I'm Scared (which I absolutely love) or perhaps Marble Hornets (well, that one in condensed "makes more bloody sense" form on Night Mind's channel).

Now as for music.... bleh. If it's got lyrics, I probably hate it. I usually just have soundtracks from various games I like running in the car. And that's about it for that.

I hardly ever watch anything on TV anymore. I'm too addicted to YouTube as it is. When I do watch TV it's mostly reruns of old sitcoms while visiting my parents at their house. Back then the shows were actually funny. I very rarely watch movies and when I do it's usually the really good animated movies that are supposedly only for kids. Most of the music I listen to now is pretty much anything *not* from this century, or video game music.

Most entertainment has taken a trip swirling down the proverbial porcelain throne since the early 2000's.:angry:

I haven't had a TV most of my adult life. Only during the period when my kids were young. In general I would prefer doing something else. Since computers came along and I could be more selective in what I watch, I do watch films and TV shows in my favorite genre, Sci-Fi. More so as I have gotten older.

Music I have always liked, and frequently have classical or light jazz radio on in the backround. If in an energetic mood I will watch/listen to alternative music. But only in short bursts.

I don't own a TV. I haven't owned one since the early 2000's. I do watch a small selection of stuff on Netflix now, because the selection is big and I can find a couple things worth watching.

I like music mostly for stimming or doing very boring work. But I am careful of my music choices. If it sounds good to me, I'll listen.

I "listen" to TV shows. I need a little background noise to help me focus. I'll put it on my phone or tablet while I'm working on something else. I can get the gist of the episode just by listening, and I occasionally look at the screen to confirm. I've burned my way through probably a dozen TV shows this way.

If a show is too interesting, I can't watch it that way. So, right now I'm listening to Bones. I'm also watching Pushing Daisies and Chuck, but I haven't seen an episode of those all month because I actually want to watch them, but my sit-down-and-watch-a-show time is very limited.

I take weeks to watch movies and almost never watch television!

Just sit there and stare? :mad:

But what do I DO? :confused:

I have a 55' TV in my living room. But all I use it for is a glorified computer monitor. I have no antenna or cable TV hooked up to it. I haven't watch cable or OTA TV in over 25 years. Today's TV is just junk and a massive sensory overload.

No tv. No computer. No internet in the house. I prefer playing the piano to listening to music.

There was a year that we used kerosene lamps and the fireplace.

But then again, I grew up without plumbing and most of our friends didn't have electricity. I wonder how much of it is autism and how much is just my off-grid comfort zone.

I don't know or care about what's on current radio or TV. I have a large music collection that is nearly all pre-Y2K. For TV I watch old shows or other oddball things that I find on my c-band dish. I do enjoy a few channels like History channel, but I can live without those, or watch them if I end up in a hotel room or someone else's house.

I don't know or care about what's on current radio or TV. I have a large music collection that is nearly all pre-Y2K. For TV I watch old shows or other oddball things that I find on my c-band dish. I do enjoy a few channels like History channel, but I can live without those, or watch them if I end up in a hotel room or someone else's house.
I like classic too. You go with what you know!

I take weeks to watch movies and almost never watch television!

Just sit there and stare? :mad:

But what do I DO? :confused:

Yes! This is a good way to put it.

Also brings up another aspect for me: I only watch stuff while eating. Because that's really the only thing to DO while watching, and eating while not having something to look at is boring. (what's that you say, random reader? SOCIALIZE while eating? That is blasphemy, sir!)

But yeah, I cant fathom how so many people can just sit there and stare at screens for so long without actual interaction with the things. I cant do it.

Also brings up another aspect for me: I only watch stuff while eating. Because that's really the only thing to DO while watching, and eating while not having something to look at is boring. (what's that you say, random reader? SOCIALIZE while eating? That is blasphemy, sir!)

But yeah, I cant fathom how so many people can just sit there and stare at screens for so long without actual interaction with the things. I cant do it.

THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT I DO, which is why it takes so long.

I always thought socializing while eating was a good way to choke on food.

I like a handful of movies, but for the most part I have a difficult time sitting and watching something for that long. I like commercial breaks, because it gives me a chance to get up, get a drink, go potty, check the fire, etc. Stretch and refocus.

I use to watch a lot of movies and tv but don’t watch much shows anymore, but music is different I always listen to music on my iPhone and prefer classic 70 and 80s rock over music that is popular now.

New Threads

Top Bottom