• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I can help some of you

Duane Wyatt

my morse exhibit at events
V.I.P Member
If anyone here wants to try amateur radio but does not know how to start, I may be able to help. If you would tell me your nearest major city by private conversation here, I will contact local amateur radio club officers in that city and perhaps they will be willing to give you a free amateur radio, mentor you in the use of it and mentor you with licensing issues.
I will contact them and see if this is possible. If they reply positively, I will send you a private conversation here with the contact information for them-- so you can contact them yourself.
I feel badly for lonely, low self esteem people here. I was that way for years and years.They don't have to stay that way. Internet use is dangerous for many autistics who are socially naïve and trusting.
Amateur radio is stress diverting, self esteem elevating, safe, wholesome, non violent, loads of fun and a good way of meeting people without leaving home and having to look at the person. I do lots of listening over the amateur radio shortwave bands. There are also yearly amateur radio conventions one can attend to meet personally your on air friend(s).

Last edited:
That's a great idea Duane Wyatt. I'm not interested in setting up a station for myself though. I've got too many other projects going on that need my time and attention. I'm also not one of those low self esteem people and, I could afford a station if I wanted one.

You might also want to get involved with other anti-bullying, anti hate groups that might offer assistance in their areas. Anti Bullying for Fandoms, Glabber, Straight But Not Narrow (site is migrating so down now but, SBNN Twitter is up and, Avan Jogia, the founder, is quite active on his social networking sites so, he could give you more information on SBNN if you ask him, I'm sure.)

Your idea is also good for people in more remote, rural locations that can't afford internet where they live. Where I live for example. No cell service, no cable, can't even get off air radio without relying on satellite. Internet ranges for 50.00 to 180.00 per month plus a 150.00 installation fee and, that is still metered (limited bandwidth) service. A lot of people can't afford that but, if they could get a station going, they would have more contact with the outside world without the expense of internet in such areas.

Thanks, Beverly. Yes, aspiescentral is made for this type of help. Simply send me a private conversation with your nearest big city and I will use my amateur radio resources available to me to find amateur radio clubs in that city and ask them for help. If they say, "yes", I will then send a private conversation back to you with their contact information for you to contact them yourself. I would be glad to help people.

If anyone here wants to try amateur radio but does not know how to start, I may be able to help. If you would tell me your nearest major city by private conversation here, I will contact local amateur radio club officers in that city and perhaps they will be willing to give you a free amateur radio, mentor you in the use of it and mentor you with licensing issues.
I will contact them and see if this is possible. If they reply positively, I will send you a private conversation here with the contact information for them-- so you can contact them yourself.
I feel badly for lonely, low self esteem people here. I was that way for years and years.They don't have to stay that way. Internet use is dangerous for many autistics who are socially naïve and trusting.
Amateur radio is stress diverting, self esteem elevating, safe, wholesome, non violent, loads of fun and a good way of meeting people without leaving home and having to look at the person. I do lots of listening over the amateur radio shortwave bands. There are also yearly amateur radio conventions one can attend to meet personally your on air friend(s).

Just curious, Duane, who are you and why will local radio club officials across the world be aware of you?
And, how do you benefit from this?

There have been quite a few people making offers for promotional efforts, and we've learned to be a little bit careful about things that sound too much like things we might want to hear.

You are wise to be wary of this.There are too many dangerous people out there -- this world is a dangerous place. I am happiest when I am helping people who need some help. It is why I was a financial failure as a veterinarian. I like thissite because I don't want to know who you are--your real name.
Qrz.com has a worldwide database of ham radio clubs and d contact info. I am simply an insider who knows what to say to overstep these club offi ers.

That's so nice of you Duane, I have my Grandfather's ham radio and also have his license from the 1930's. The radio does not work any longer, but I still keep it to remind myself of him. It's not really my thing, but I can understand how people would like it. Thanks for your offer.

Very nice. Watch the movie "Frequency" sometime! You would relare to it. Yes, there are a few good people in this world spending four thousand dollars so a destitute pet owner can take nicki to university for clinical trials doesnt allow for financial success for my career.

I got a license about 25 years ago and I never renewed it. Ham never really caught on with me. At first, I thought it was simply because I couldn't afford a radio. But now that I look back on it. I just couldn't really engage in any conversations. I was borrowing a 2-meter radio at the time and I just got board, gave the radio back and never looked back. Today, I got a bunch of mobile VHF and UHF radios in my electronics bins and the software to program them. Sometime, I will whip out one of those mobiles and try to talk to other hammers on the 2-meter band(using my expired callsign of course.). There are 3 2-meter repeaters and one 70cm repeater in my area, so there still is a lot of amateur radio activity in my area. I just wish i could be more social. But I guess that why thy call it "asperger's" and why I'm here on this forum

Okay, I am an aspie, microphones intimidate me and morse code is fun for me. It is non threatening, challenging and gives me time to think of things to say. Plus, the sending part of morse is SO much fun!!
But, I do listen to voice conversations. High Frequency use is more fun to me than VHF or UHF use.

It just so happens I know who Duane is but that is because I too am a radio ham operator.

Duane and I have had PM conversations about the radio hobby.

There is so much to the hobby other than talking to people that most people don't know about. Morse code for one, data transmissions,. collecting cards from radio amatuers in different countries, direction finding as a sport.
Also satellites, antenna building, electronics construction, semding TV pictures, there is so much diversity it is truly a wonderland of exploration.

:D:cool:

It just so happens I know who Duane is but that is because I too am a radio ham operator.

There is so much to the hobby other than talking to people that most people don't know about. Morse code for one, data transmissions,. collecting cards from radio amatuers in different countries, direction finding as a sport.
Also satellites, antenna building, electronics construction, semding TV pictures, there is so much diversity it is truly a wonderland of exploration.

Thanks steph, you said it well

Add the other fun parts like contesting. There are ham radio contests--competitive events with other amateur radio operators. These occur weekly--usually on weekends. Check out ham radio on youTube to see how much fun it is. Fiddling with different, impressive looking electronics usually lifts my spirits.
There are lots of high school and college amateur radio clubs. Plus, there are awards given for amateur radio accomplishments, such as DXCC award for contacting hams over the air in 100 or more countries.
I am a cancer survivor. I had a deadly cancer and was sure I would die soon. Ham radio helped me through that period in my life

Last edited:
I received an email message today from an ASD research institution manager, coldly denying my request for an appointment to discuss morse communication. She gave the excuse that it is outside their research, however, they facilitate several ASD meetup networking groups. Very disappointing for ASD pts who might be helped mentally by this method to network socially. Simply another rejection letter, at least she was kind enough to reply to my appointment request

I received an email message today from an ASD research institution manager, coldly denying my request for an appointment to discuss morse communication. She gave the excuse that it is outside their research, however, they facilitate several ASD meetup networking groups. Very disappointing for ASD pts who might be helped mentally by this method to network socially. Simply another rejection letter, at least she was kind enough to reply to my appointment request

Did she deny it because she was being a jerk or did she simply not know what morse code is? If someone came up to me about ASD's and told me that teaching them to speak "Klingon" of "Elfish" would help them with social skills. I too would question the motives behind it as well. Just saying.

Did she deny it because she was being a jerk or did she simply not know what morse code is? If someone came up to me about ASD's and told me that teaching them to speak "Klingon" of "Elfish" would help them with social skills. I too would question the motives behind it as well. Just saying.
They know all about amateur radio and morse code communication. I have sent them several email messages in the past and they probably think I am a pest. However, they are not too busy to spend a half hour talking to me, it is called being nice and caring.

It's not his identity I was interested in so much as his intent; I wasn't aware we had a lot of ham radio operators here. I can see why the appearance of having a lot of people behind the idea would help Duane popularize his special interest. I wonder about the appropriateness of using the whole board to push an idea for a few people: note his comment "aspiecentral would be perfect for this." I'd like to point out that the phrasing suggests the board is being used for the benefit of a few. I get touchy about this because that isn't why the board exists, and it takes a whole lot of other people for granted.

On the assumption that this isn't a commercial venture, I'll stop questioning openly for now. I remain guarded about people who crash the board with the intent to use it--especially when they themselves point this out.

I try to see your viewpoints, but frankly cannot. I am touchy about this because I am an Asperger's afflicted individual, I have seen the help amateur radio has done for me, I see the help it gave my seventeen year old friend and don't understand why people are so cold. I know I am stating another sermon,but I am tired of the rejection. Part of being an Aspie is having obsessive tendencies. The wonderful world of amateur radio and morse communication is my obsession. You, of all people should understand that and not criticize my good intentions. This forum is about discussion of ASD treatments, problems and joys. It is also a free country in the USA, with freedom of speech still allowed. My posting here will probably be deleted for being argumentative- so be it.

I don't think anyone is criticizing your intentions, merely pointing out that HAM radio isn't something everyone is interested in and, it is a hobby that is not exclusive to people on the spectrum is all.

I find music therapeutic and it has helped me learn to communicate effectively but, it's not going to be used as global therapy. It's an interest, obsession, hobby and, in my case career. The fact that it has proven therapeutic for me is a side benefit and,I think that's all people are trying to say.

Respectfully, Beverly, people do not seem to get it. I am fully aware that this is not for everyone. My efforts are directed towards the one ASD pt. life this exposure helps or saves.I was criticized about this by someone e who should understand me and my motive. If one person's life is helped by this exposure my efforts are worthwhile. I am sorry about another sermon.

I think Duane meant well. His hobby (and mine) helped him and he wanted to try and support his fellow aspies in an altruistic manner.

If the offer and the intentions behind it came across somehow wrong please forgive him. After all, having difficulty putting things across socially is a common aspie issue.

New Threads

Top Bottom