• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

How does it feel to be a Aspie?

clg114

Still crazy, after all these years.
V.I.P Member
My youngest grand daughter has a lot of Aspie traits that I've seen for several years. She started school this last year and had some problems. The consular at school has suggested that she might have Aspergers Syndrome. Her parents are trying to get a diagnosis for her. Since the school has said something, I have had a few discussions about AS with our daughter. Like all NTs, she is having trouble understanding what this is all about. One of the things that I have been asked is "How does it feel to be a Aspie?". I explained how it is for me and how it has been in the past for me. However, how it is or was for me is probably very different from other Aspies. So this poses a good question. How does it feel to be a Aspie?

So I was just thinking about this, in a way. My response is going to be disjointed, because that is how I feel.

In a word: Alone.

When I look at others, say co-workers, I get this sense of total mystery about how they operate. I watch them talking easily with each other, in pairs and in groups and I just don't get it. Social interaction.

I also get an overwhelming feeling that I can't describe from knowing that these people feel pain, embarrassment, happiness. etc. yet I can't see how they manage to deal with their emotions/sensations/feelings and function so well. It ties me up in knots, as in I want to solve this mystery yet know I'll never get the clues, even if I were to ask, which I wouldn't be able to do anyways. This is part of why I try not to interact too much with others, I get overwhelmed by the chasm between me and others.

In a few other words: overly observant.

I get overwhelmed by visual stimulation. I have trouble in busy environments, lots of people, lots going on, unless I can just watch and observe. If I need to do something complex, or carry on a conversation, I'll get too agitated. But if I can just observe, find a rhythm, pattern, sense of order in chaos, I can often become quite at peace.

Unfocused. This may be from ADHD, not AS, but I have a very hard time maintaining focus, especially on things that I'm not interested in or find compelling. If I'm interested, and I don't need to be doing anything else, or responding too much to others (as in conversation) I'll go on for hours at something.

That brings me back to disjointed. I know intellectually that it is up to me to make sense of all this, yet I can't seem to. Something always comes along to stir things up and thicken the plot, nothing gets resolved, at least to my satisfaction. It's like I'm trying to write a book, but feel I need to explain so much, give so much back story, introduce so many plot lines that I don't know where to start, and don't know how to finish.

Then at times I just feel like I'm simply overreacting, things would be fine if I could just stop over-analyzing things, things aren't that complicated, I think too much. Then, eventually I start thinking again, and the cycle continues.....

I know that this is an adult perspective, and I don't know how it relates to a child. I think I have always felt this way, but as I've gotten older, that chasm that I mentioned earlier has widened, and I feel I relate less and less to others. I think I was more at peace with that when I was younger.

Hope this helps, this is an interesting but difficult question, should bring out some interesting responses.

Last edited:
Frustrating and liberating and scary and interesting and safe and frightening!

I chatted with my friend today ( but hey, we chat every day lol) and she related how she went to a funeral and the woman who died has left her son behind who has aspergers and that she was the only one who "got him"; I suggested he join aspie central. Anyway, my friend said that aspergers has ruined his life and I responded: no, people around him, ruin his life because they refuse to get to know him.

I feel frustrated because I am expected to confirm to how nt's think but they will not try to give me the compliment back!

Social interaction is the worst trait for me; it is like I am this completely different woman and I do not like her very much!

To me, its about living in a world where I don't get others and they don't get me because I communicate differently than others. A lot of people don't like the way I communicate(lack of eye contact is seen as rude for example) and I don't feel comfortable with the way a lot of people communicate with me(unexpected hugging, looking into my eyes a lot, lack of respect for personal space etc). So it's like constantly trying to keep myself comfortable in a world where the way I feel comfortable is seen as rude.

How does it feel to be a Aspie?
Since one is an aspie their entire lives "feeling like an aspie" would encompass ones entire emotional and sensory experience. To generate any useful answer one would have to contrast that experience with what it is like to be NT, an equally complex question at which we can only guess an answer.

Furthermore, a couple of individual answers are inadequate. One would need to tabulate myriad subjective life experiences and search for patterns. Not impossible, but much more difficult than one might initially think.

This reminds me of when I first came out and somebody asked me "What's it like to be trans?" I had to explain that as it is all I have ever known I have no reference point and could not possibly answer the question.

"How does being ____ make you feel?", seems, to me, a much more reasonable question, and the one most people end up answering.

I feel frustrated because I am expected to confirm to how nt's think but they will not try to give me the compliment back!

This.

I don't expect most people, like distant family or coworkers or acquaintances who are not quite friends, to put in much effort.

But I'm always hearing from those I am close to (or should be close to) how I need to try harder. And I wish they could see how hard I do try; how much effort it takes to hold back my anxiety so that I can be around them in the first place and how much time I spend analyzing every word they say to try to understand them and their perspectives and how, all the while, I have to maintain this facade of normalcy, pretend to be a completely different person, the kind of person they find acceptable.

It would be nice if they would recognize all that and maybe try to meet me halfway.

Last edited:
For me, it feels normal - that's all I know so, to me that's normal. Asking that question is as bad as asking what chicken tastes like - it tastes like chicken. There just isn't a suitable, simple, concise answer other than normal if you are asking an Aspie because we don't know what being NT feels like so can't make accurate comparisons without a lot of research and test groups of both NTs and NDs.

For me, it feels normal - that's all I know so, to me that's normal. Asking that question is as bad as asking what chicken tastes like - it tastes like chicken. There just isn't a suitable, simple, concise answer other than normal if you are asking an Aspie because we don't know what being NT feels like so can't make accurate comparisons without a lot of research and test groups of both NTs and NDs.
I tend to agree,each case of autism has too many variables associated with it to nail it down in just a few statements.
Normal is a definition placed by those who have an opinion of what is normal to them. I know no other life than that of an autie,so that is normal to me.I also know that there are no two people ever alike,no matter what operating system they are running. Neurodiversity exists in ever human being,not just a select few that some have placed in their pigeon holes. ;)

I no longer have olfactory/taste function from my trauma. When asked if I can taste something,I always reply that it tastes just like chicken :p

Last edited:

I agree, in fact one of the things I said was that how I am is normal for me. This was a question that was asked by my NT daughter who is trying to understand her AS daughter. She just wanted to know what it is like from someone who has lived it. There's no doubt that one understanding the other is a very complex issue. She wont ever be able to completely understand, but with further information she will be able to better help her daughter. Who knows? Maybe I'll even learn a little about the NT ways.

Everything On the Inside said.

I feel like an alien. Like I belong to a different species, or perhaps a different physical universe altogether. However, I don't know what that would look like or anything - I don't know what kind of world would be "right" for me, I just know that this one feels "wrong", no matter how hard I try. I can learn things intellectually, I can rationally analyze human behaviour and experience to my wit's end but there'll always be an essence, an understanding and resonance on the psychic level that is elusive to me when it comes to relating to this world and feeling like I belong in it, like it makes sense for me to live and participate in it.

Being an Aspie feels AWESOME! :grinning:
1.) Holodeck inside your head! Active adventures in the deepest, steamiest jungles of the Amazon basin, plunge into the icy depths of a Scottish loch, come with all the sensory sensations as if you're there.. because you are. I have never-- not ever-- been bored.
2.) What peer pressure? Aspies do as they please, and we have nobody to impress but our own pleasures. Plaid with stripes? Rock that nerdy!
3.) Bombastic, fantastic special interests rule! Happy-geeky-nerdy passions like this make life so fulfilling!
4. When we enjoy something, we really enjoy it! Few others can lose themselves in music, the delights of movement, the flavor of a savored snack, or whatever we are enjoying to such an intense degree of pure enjoyment.
5.) Our Inner Child isn't all that inner! Many of us delight in Pixar therapy, rock at computer games, and lose ourselves in play with our toy cars, rocket ships, dinosaurs, model trains! We adults happily swing, bounce, climb, spin, tumble, and bounce. GO sensory breaks!! :cool: For noms, we love tater tots, juiceboxes, mac & cheese, chocolate milk, pizza... the good stuff. :D
6.) We sense things others can't, and we know it. If we like you, we may not always understand everything in our interactions, but while you're gabbing at us, we are busy appreciating very special qualities about you that others may miss. Sensitivity can be good.

Being an Aspie can feel challenging.
1.) Awareness is challenged and variable, so our safety can be compromised. That feels scary.
2.) Sensory overload can overwhelm us when we're out to dinner with you, or meeting you at a café. Fog-out alert!! :eek:
3.) It's ouch-y to be excluded from social group outings, rejected for differences in our behavior. We just don't "get it" socially. Learning social skills is lifelong for us, but the moment we're "ourselves," we often put our foot in it, bigtime. :rolleyes:
4.) Communication challenges mean that often in critical interactions, stuff gets real. Communication is the basis for relationships. Friends, family, lovers, boss, co-workers, children, therapist, loan officer at the bank, landlord all need us to listen and speak well. When we miscommunicate, the consequences can be epic.
5.) It feels risky & odd to need to surround ourselves with those who are especially understanding. Patient, understanding, "forgiving" people who can understand that we didn't mean to be inappropriate, make our lives better.
6.) "Social burnouts" can be painful and sideline us. Few understand our need to recover/recharge in solitude. We must carefully budget our social energy, in order to function. :cherryblossom: We're thinking of you-- I promise.
7.) It feels "alone" to be locked in with our emotions, wishing someone would take the time to respectfully connect with us. We are waiting for you to enter our world.

Overall, I love being an Aspie! :) Let's hear it for our groovy neurology!
Challenges notwithstanding, Autism isn't just a "disability," it's also an extra ability!

Last edited:
i've really enjoyed watching this thread throughout the day, and i hope everyone continues to populate it with their responses and insights. the initial question is, of course, phrased in a very NT sort of way... it's the sort of question I might have asked before spending so much time here on AC. it reflects, i think, a common NT approach to the spectrum--an approach that presumes that Asperger's can be isolated and analyzed as a "feeling," rather than as an all-encompassing mode of being and living in the world.

as always, everyone here has been able to articulate this much more eloquently than even the most well-intentioned literature, and i think clg114's daughter will find it very illuminating and helpful :)

clg114: Perhaps you could see if your daughter has a few more specific question we could give our individual perspective on. That might prove even more useful or encouraging to her.

Heh, reminds me of when I get asked "what's it like to see the world as an artist?"

In a word: Aware.

I don't know if my brain isn't as good at blocking things out like a normal brain or if normal brains are very limited and my throttle is wide open. And I'm definitely prone to overload. It seems like I'm bombarded with details all the time, and I see patterns and correlations everywhere. Makes driving rather interesting, all those little lines all over the place showing the height ratios between the trees and buildings to gauge distance and that little invisible Pacman sitting on my dash gobbling up road reflectors like pac dots.

In another word: Entertained.

Like Warmheart said, there are so many neat things out there! As one of my other coworkers said "if you learn to appreciate the simple things in life, you'll never be discontent". Shiny things, wiggly things, crunchy things, all can provide endless hours of entertainment just by exploring its properties or enjoying properties you already know of.

This.

I don't expect most people, like distant family or coworkers or acquaintances who are not quite friends, to put in much effort.

But I'm always hearing from those I am close to (or should be close to) how I need to try harder. And I wish they could see how hard I do try; how much effort it takes to hold back my anxiety so that I can be around them in the first place and how much time I spend analyzing every word they say to try to understand them and their perspectives and how, all the while, I have to maintain this facade of normalcy, pretend to be a completely different person, the kind of person they find acceptable.

It would be nice if they would recognize all that and maybe try to meet me halfway.
That is like telling someone who is color blind to try harder to discern colors. Maybe if the NT were told this, and he/she actually cared about you, that person might develop a glimmer of understanding.

clg114: Perhaps you could see if your daughter has a few more specific question we could give our individual perspective on. That might prove even more useful or encouraging to her.

I told her about AspiesCentral and how she could learn about the personalities of AS. I think this could help.

New Threads

Top Bottom