• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

HOW DO YOU RELAX?

Anything, from playing video games to 3D modeling, to reading books, holding my guinea pig or sitting on the couch with my dogs, or drawing, or taking a walk. I find it kinda hard to relax, however, because I've been twitching alot and feeling under the weather and fatigued.

Your father sounds quite advanced for rural Texas..

As a fellow Texan, I'd have to reluctantly agree with this. We're not known for our grammar or booksmarts, but we have plenty of steers and queers ;)

Not that y'all would understand on the other side of the pond though...

I sleep.

Literally an explosion couldn't wake me up once I take my hearing aid out and my head hits the pillow.

Also, when I'm stressed, I listen to banging rock tunes on Alexa, or play fighting games on Xbox, to beat the crap out of virtual instead of real people :D

Tell me how you relax!
I'm always in a state of stress / anxiety and can never relax.
Xxx
I know how you feel , if you have a hobbies that you like to do or have something a fav show or songs etc try useing those of that don't work and the problems are still around you , what i do is i would walk forest down here Oklahoma alone seeing the beautiful form of nature clams me down some but this could help you as well , if ya live in a big city I don't know where yall be able to walk alone but i bet there's places down there and maybe there might be a nature trial some where close to ya , this is just some stuff I do to help but i do hope it helps ya to

Cooking dinner relaxes me.
Reading a book, listening to music or going for a walk helps me too.
None of those help when I’m really anxious though. For severe anxiety or anxiety attacks I try breathing exercises and otherwise just ride it out.

You aren't alone. ;)

I liken my own brain to that of a computer's hard drive. That once I awaken, even when unintended it's like my mind boots up, goes through a "hand-shaking" process and then goes into overdrive.

A process that is often difficult for me to intervene with sufficiently to go back to sleep. Sound familiar? o_O

Making how one truly relaxes a good question. But for some of us, a complex mystery that remains unsolved as well. :confused:

Sadly, much of what I call relaxing involves some extremely hard work (on purpose)... What you stated above, is why that takes place. If I can beat my brain to the place where it jumps off "the cliffs of worry", I can often outwit the hidden mechanisms that seem to crank it all off.

So when I wake up I shoot out of bed... If not, I will start worrying about all kinds of stuff and imagined problems that aren't even a reality yet, or very real problems that are chewing on me. I grab the Ipad put on something positive, or some great music and hit the shower, jump from there to breakfast. Then I set out a clear DOABLE plan for what I truly need to get done that morning, and after lunch... IF I get that done... USUALLY I feel good about my day, and for some reason things can allow me to settle down some. IF NOT... and I get behind like how the last 3 weeks were... Well my past posts deeply explain how messed up I get and it's like living in hell only still alive... But things are giving me a small break for now, and I am very grateful for that... : )

Last edited:
Cooking dinner relaxes me.
Reading a book, listening to music or going for a walk helps me too.
None of those help when I’m really anxious though. For severe anxiety or anxiety attacks I try breathing exercises and otherwise just ride it out.

Breathing exercises - sort of meditation?
I've been trying it the last couple of weeks.
Sort of breathing and sort of forgiveness, I'm finding.

Hot bath, music, candlelight, incense. The music will depend on the mood and what I have on repeat that particular day/week.

At the moment its David Bowie; Ashes to Ashes, Space Oddity, Life on Mars and Starman.

I do this every evening to try and wind myself down.

Breathing exercises - sort of meditation?
I've been trying it the last couple of weeks.
Sort of breathing and sort of forgiveness, I'm finding.

My breathing exercises begin when I didn't realize I have been holding my breath or breathing very shallow... I tend to do that when I get really pissed and I never notice until I'm about to go lights out.
Its actually really scary to think that I might not breathe sometimes... But so far so good... : )
That just made me take a deep breath bye the way...

My breathing exercises begin when I didn't realize I have been holding my breath or breathing very shallow... I tend to do that when I get really pissed and I never notice until I'm about to go lights out.
Its actually really scary to think that I might not breathe sometimes... But so far so good... : )

Seems to work for making things stop.
Tried 'headspace" app.
Meditation app.

They also need to have a nice sounding voice.
Loads of apps out there.

Pretty hard for me to relax as well, sometimes if my dreams aren't too funky, I can relax while sleeping.

I know how you feel , if you have a hobbies that you like to do or have something a fav show or songs etc try useing those of that don't work and the problems are still around you , what i do is i would walk forest down here Oklahoma alone seeing the beautiful form of nature clams me down some but this could help you as well , if ya live in a big city I don't know where yall be able to walk alone but i bet there's places down there and maybe there might be a nature trial some where close to ya , this is just some stuff I do to help but i do hope it helps ya to
I'd love to have a forest near me. I live in a city which sucks. But I will try to listen to my old fave songs and films and see if that works

Hot bath, music, candlelight, incense. The music will depend on the mood and what I have on repeat that particular day/week.

At the moment its David Bowie; Ashes to Ashes, Space Oddity, Life on Mars and Starman.

I do this every evening to try and wind myself down.
I also do this as it helps me shut down ready for sleep! If I don't do this then sleep isn't great! I can relax in the evenings better but in the day it's so difficult:(

I do this too. I forget to breathe. Or I'll be holding my breath due to stress or something, it's not great haha

Going out in the woods, camping, watching the sun set or rise, laying down looking at stars,
music (lots and lots of music)... I love to read but usually fall asleep about 5 minutes into that unless I'm deeply involved on researching something.

Just soaking up anything NOT people related mostly... which means its really hard sometimes. : )
I used to always look at the stars and the sunset as a kid:) need to do that more again x

I used to always look at the stars and the sunset as a kid:) need to do that more again x

This is not only one of my most favorite songs... It's truly like how I live and unwind...
If you watch it, at the end is a cool thing with what looks like a floating fire over water at night...
I figured out how to do that.
I tied small rope to my drone and a piece of "sparkle flash cord" (burns like a sparkler) from there down... and lit it and it works until it burns to the nylon cord and just goes out so there is no damage to my drone...
It's amazing... But it doesn't take much to amaze me really...: )

I notice every little thing in LIFE and some of it I have to figure out of deep curiosity which can be relaxing or taxing depending on the situation. The film footage is so distinct... It amazes me over and over...

This is not only one of my most favorite songs... It's truly like how I live and unwind...
If you watch it, at the end is a cool thing with what looks like a floating fire over water at night...
I figured out how to do that.
I tied small rope to my drone and a piece of "sparkle flash cord" (burns like a sparkler) from there down... and lit it and it works until it burns to the nylon cord and just goes out so there is no damage to my drone...
It's amazing... But it doesn't take much to amaze me really...: )

I notice every little thing in LIFE and some of it I have to figure out of deep curiosity which can be relaxing or taxing depending on the situation. The film footage is so distinct... It amazes me over and over...

Oh wow that video was so relaxing and beautiful! It makes me want to film my own version!!

New Threads

Top Bottom