• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

HOW DO YOU RELAX?

I'm not entirely sure I do...! I can't think of a single instance. I switch off when I read a book or something, I say "oh this is relaxing", but really, I've never ACTUALLY been relaxed!

By listening to music or watching a documentary, or having time to myself to do what I want to do, rather than work or all the chores I feel that I'm obliged or forced to do.

My relaxation time is about doing things I chose rather than the things I'm obligated to do.

Work is NEVER relaxing. Household chores aren't either, although I do get a sense of relaxation post chores as a clean house represents peace to me.

Taking time out to read, watch TV, listen to music, go for a walk, mindfulness meditation, go to yoga class or just sit staring into space if that's what I want to do - all forms of my relaxation time. I factor a combination of the above in every single day. If I don't, meltdown is close by.

That's a hard one for me too. If I'm not occupied then I'm twitching away or making lots of sounds most of the time.

I have sort of built myself a bit of a sensory kit though. I've got essential oils in little sniffing tubes I can stick up my nose every now and then for example, almond is my favourite one. I've also got a pressure vest I can put on.

But I have to do my best to keep myself occupied otherwise the ruminating thoughts start, the tics come back. I mostly try to get lost in a good computer game or do a bit of 3D modelling on my PC or watch some of my favourite documentaries.

Going out in the woods, camping, watching the sun set or rise, laying down looking at stars,
music (lots and lots of music)... I love to read but usually fall asleep about 5 minutes into that unless I'm deeply involved on researching something.

Just soaking up anything NOT people related mostly... which means its really hard sometimes. : )

I get the hell away from people, since people are usually the ultimate root cause of whatever's stressing me enough to create a need for relaxation. [Insert something arrogant-sounding about monkeys throwing their poo at each other and you have my conception of what society boils down to]. Because sometimes, when you're getting poo thrown at you from all directions, you just need to get away.

I get the hell away from people...

Just soaking up anything NOT people related mostly...

That sums it up for me. When I get tired of primitive behavior under the guise of "socializing", I need time alone to decompress, which is pretty often.

People need a break from me? I can live with that. People: can't live with them, can't live without them...

I get the hell away from people, since people are usually the ultimate root cause of whatever's stressing me enough to create a need for relaxation. [Insert something arrogant-sounding about monkeys throwing their poo at each other and you have my conception of what society boils down to]. Because sometimes, when you're getting poo thrown at you from all directions, you just need to get away.

Sadly I have seen the monkey poo throwing in action... My dad used to chew tobacco and we were at Fort Worth zoo with family (one of the calmer days of my life) and my dad gave this monkey his tobacco...

The monkey spit out, wiped his mouth, pooped in his hand, and his aim was dead on... It hit my dad right in the chest... It was gross, but also so Karmic that even as a child I thought it was a great day!!! : )

...The monkey spit out, wiped his mouth, pooped in his hand, and his aim was dead on... It hit my dad right in the chest... It was gross, but also so Karmic that even as a child I thought it was a great day!!! : )

That's a Copenhagen capuchin. They're pretty common here in the Southern US, seen plenty of them in my lifetime. Long cut or fine cut is fine with them :)

I'm always in a state of stress / anxiety and can never relax.

Exactly. Me too. ;) :oops:

More often than not, the harder I attempt to "relax", the more agitated I can become. :eek:

In the end on a regular basis I simply settle for about seven hours of interrupted sleep. o_O

In the end on a regular basis I simply settle for about seven hours of interrupted sleep. o_O
Oh yes, I LOVE sleep. And most of the time I sleep pretty well. Sleep if probably one of the things I most look forward to.

Only problem is, lately, when I do wake up, I start worrying again before I even get out of bed.
:(

I have like two relaxing modes kind of, there's the "I'd like to destress a little" relaxing and there's the "I'm gonna freak out soon" relaxing. One is obviously a little more urgent than the other. For the former I engage in one of my interests, listening to music or playing music, computer programming, writing, making up writing systems, figuring out a route I can walk outside that will take me past no people and then walking it, reading about the different types of bread clips, etc. If I know I'm on the verge of losing it I have pretty limited options being 1. Playing piano and singing very loudly and 2. Listening to music with my specific headphones at maximum volume. Those tend to bring me down from being hyper agitated about 60% of the time. If I don't play piano for more than a few days I get real weird.

Only problem is, lately, when I do wake up, I start worrying again before I even get out of bed. :(

You aren't alone. ;)

I liken my own brain to that of a computer's hard drive. That once I awaken, even when unintended it's like my mind boots up, goes through a "hand-shaking" process and then goes into overdrive.

A process that is often difficult for me to intervene with sufficiently to go back to sleep. Sound familiar? o_O

Making how one truly relaxes a good question. But for some of us, a complex mystery that remains unsolved as well. :confused:

Last edited:
snuggling with my cars <3
Like this?

36390213-smiling-man-hugging-a-white-car-at-new-car-showroom.jpg

Sadly I have seen the monkey poo throwing in action... My dad used to chew tobacco and we were at Fort Worth zoo with family (one of the calmer days of my life) and my dad gave this monkey his tobacco...

The monkey spit out, wiped his mouth, pooped in his hand, and his aim was dead on... It hit my dad right in the chest... It was gross, but also so Karmic that even as a child I thought it was a great day!!! : )

Your father sounds quite advanced for rural Texas..

New Threads

Top Bottom