• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

How do you deal with a lot of thoughts before sleeping?

Annaa

I can’t sleep until 3 am or at least 2 am, it’s not even because I wake up late I wake up pretty early but at night I feel very weird and I can’t stop thinking about random unnecessary things even if I am really tired it feels like I have forgotten how to sleep and it really stresses me out I hate not being able to sleep, so pleasseee Someone tell me how to finally learn how to sleepppp or at least how to fall asleep faster, it’s not something new I have been struggling with this forever but lately it has gotten worse because I started making plans with people and going out more and I Kind of feel really anxious aswell and it’s just really annoying.

These are just some ideas:

Meditation and a cup of camomile tea to clear and calm the mind while winding down, before bed

Listen to calming music, before and while falling asleep

Listen to the sound of waves gently breaking on the shore, or, birds quietly singing in the distance, or other nature sounds, of which you can find online, or, you tube, etc

A breathing technique a therapist taught me, that I have found to be very effective -

Inhale while counting to 7
Hold breath for 5 seconds
Exhale while counting to 8
Keep your focus on counting and your breathing
Repeat until your mind is completely relaxed, or you've fallen asleep

~Best wishes to you

Last edited:
Valerian root
Lemon Balm
Skullcap
L-theanine
Gaba
Alternative: Drugs (I take the lowest dose of pregabalin)

I take all of the above and consistently sleep great, except I often wake up around 5:00am for about a half hour. Don't know what that's about.

When I lay down to sleep, I imagine scenerio in my mind. Make up a story. Always more or less the same one. It is interesting to me, but because I do it every night it becomes routine, and occupies my mind till I drift off. Not 100% effective but very reliable, like maybe 80% for me.

Last edited:
I find it effective to focus on different parts of the body and notice how they feel. I have a tendency to be a bit disconnected to how my body is feeling. Most likely due to the vagal nerve theory and how the mind and body are not communicating effectively with each other. I will start with my toes and feet and then move up the legs and then move to the hands and arm. Also the neck and shoulder are big. Just focus on how they feel which seems to allow the mind to relax and perhaps allows it to receive more clear signals that the body is tired and needs rest. That's my theory at least. With that being said, I often times forget to use this technique and follow my own advice some nights which results in poor sleep. Maybe because this technique takes more energy and focus than just letting you mind wander off to your worries.

When l work, l will run thru things over and over at nite in my mind especially if employees clique and bully others.

I wonder if l handled things correctly. Then l fall asleep.

In the military, they have a very particular way they put themselves to sleep. You need to sleep in a combat situation, or you could get yourself or others hurt or worse.

So what you do, is you put the tips of your toes to sleep, and slowly, moving up your body, imagine each body part falling asleep. By the time you get to the top of your head, you will be asleep.

I cry out to my God, Jehovah and when I wake up, the first thing I think of is that: ah, He answered me, because I sensed I slept without the anxiety that was hovering over me or the horrible random useless thoughts that actually hurt my brain.

I don't get racing mind much anymore but putting something you are familiar with on tv, like How The Universe Works or The Back Death series by Dorsey Armstrong in my case, can act as white noise to prevent annoying thoughts from coalescing into a cacophony of sleep disrupting BS.

I can’t sleep until 3 am or at least 2 am......
i listen to white noise (air purifier) and focus on that sound every time a thought comes i quickly put my attention back to the sound of the fan, this works most of the time where i just drift off. I dealt w/insomnia for 5 months and might understand what you're going thru a bit, i felt i 'forgot' how to sleep. But i realized i was in a very heightened stress time (though at the time i just pushed forward not understanding that). Turning off electronics is said to help (few hours before bed) and exercising first thing when you wake up helps the cortisol/melatonin levels so you release melatonin to sleep at night. Before sleep I talk into my phone recorder and get out all that's on my mind (in the morning I listen back while i go for a walk), this has helped. I also have the Libby App for audio books from library, i put the timer on 15 or so minutes & fall asleep by relaxing my body from head to toe while the story plays (a boring book on some level). Sometimes if i wake up in the middle of the night, i have to eat something, just a bite of food and it will help me to fall asleep. Also don't take the tylonol-pm it's really benadryl w/aspirin.. so i take 1/2 benadryl sometimes if i cannot sleep... esp during allergy season. Just remember to be easy on yourself, nurture yourself, journal, do things you love the bring you joy ... sending you my best :)

Having a routine at night to unwind can be helpful.

Mine: Drink herbal tea or water in the evening. Stay away from devices an hour or two before bed. Meditate for 30 minutes. If mind is active write out thoughts in a journal and let them go.

I design my "perfect home" in my mind. I've been doing that for decades to help shut up my mind and focus on something harmless and calming. I have a beach home and a mountain cabin in my head. :)

I used to have trouble going to sleep at night. I was thinking about work. My job involved a lot technical work and this "thinking in pictures" thing kept me awake. It was a good thing during the day while I was working, but at night it kept me awake. I told my doctor about this and he prescibed a medication to help me sleep at night. Since I have retired it is a lot different. I get enough sleep because I go to bed when I get tired and get up aroud 8 or 9 (unless my wife gets me up sooner). The big thing is the fact that I do not go to bed thinking about projects that I have to do the next day.

I usually fall asleep pretty quickly. I drink a cup of chamomile tea and I put on a podcast with a sleep timer. I generally fall asleep best while listening to someone else speak (but only something I’ve listened to before, otherwise trying to listen keeps me awake). If it’s silent in my bedroom, my racing brain keeps me awake.

However, when my head is too noisy, I often use guided meditation to get myself to fall asleep. I generally use the Calm app for this. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t. If I suspect I’ll have trouble sleeping I usually do some light yoga and take a shower before bed, which also helps.

My method is much like @Tom's and @Mary Terry's - I deliberately pick something to think about as I go to sleep. For me, it's always a mildly interesting math problem, but you will have to pick your own topic. Having something that can keep my attention, but which is comfortable and comforting, helps keep all my other spiraling thoughts away.

My method is much like @Tom's and @Mary Terry's - I deliberately pick something to think about as I go to sleep. For me, it's always a mildly interesting math problem, but you will have to pick your own topic. Having something that can keep my attention, but which is comfortable and comforting, helps keep all my other spiraling thoughts away.

Believe it or not, ever since my teens I have played out an imaginary apocalypse. Sometimes war, mostly zombies. But I rarely get past the preliminaries deciding what I will wear and what equipment I will have, etc. :D

Believe it or not, ever since my teens I have played out an imaginary apocalypse. Sometimes war, mostly zombies. But I rarely get past the preliminaries deciding what I will wear and what equipment I will have, etc. :D
Fascinating story though :D

I only get in bed once I'm about to fall asleep and no sooner. If I ain't dozing off at my desk or book I won't bother. Making sure the thought machine is out of fuel so I can sleep in peace.
no_thoughts_head_empty.jpg

New Threads

Top Bottom