• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

How do you cope in the outside world?

I don't hide who I am... Most of the time I will go around town just being myself, most people are very accepting. There have been instances where people were mean to me but usually they get immediately told off by bystanders for being mean to me. Most places I go to people go out of their way to be nice to me because in South Georgia in the United States of America it is drilled into people to always be polite especially to people with disabilities

How do I cope outside I be myself I don't mask anything. If people don't accept me there loss. However the people I hang out with accept me.

Last edited:
After a breakdown (?) five years hence,
I reduced my 'world' to my home and back yard because that's all I could cope with.
Easy enough to control.

The definition of my 'outside world' is a third of what it used to be.
Slowly building thresholds back up.

I've swapped offices, retail, customer service...peoply-jobs, for the great outdoors.
In essence I get paid for walking. :)

Minimal interaction with anyone, routine, clear set task, plenty of exercise and left to get on with it.
(perfect, for now)

Am discovering benefits of being focused on breathing correctly when out and about too.
Particularly in previously overwhelming situations.

Haven't tried the big challenges by myself yet,(social functions, interest groups etc) try to work on the small functional stuff first, build on that.

Have a pretty big assessment tomorrow, smack bang in the middle of my work day.
I guess I'll utilise the adrenaline created to get through work load twice as quickly then dash off to assessment.
(I'll require a day or two to recover)
But that's how I'll 'cope', at the moment.

I don't hide who I am... Most of the time I will go around town just being myself, most people are very accepting. There have been instances where people were mean to me but usually they get immediately told off by bystanders for being mean to me. Most places I go to people go out of their way to be nice to me because in South Georgia in the United States of America it is drilled into people to always be polite especially to people with disabilities
Wow! That sounds like a fantasy place!

I forgot to mention humour - finding odd things amusing as opposed to confusing.

And not taking things quite so seriously, in connection to self.
Small change in perception, expectations.

Not always easy to do in the middle of a stressy situation,
But not impossible.

The really big case of mimic-failure is in jocular, insulting humor - the kind that guys typically do on guy TV shows where they insult or take jabs at one another for fun. I never get that right, and I've hurt and offended people because I crossed the line.

I made that mistake as a child. I copied the way my Mum joked with a male friend and I got in big trouble. I still feel embarrassed thinking of it today (40+ years later). As far as I can recall I wasn't particularly self-conscious child prior to that...but ever since I have been.

Kindness is often a good way to go, too.

New Threads

Top Bottom