• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hello there

Nyxem

Hi there. Call me Nyxem, or Nyx, whichever you prefer.

I stumbled across this forum right around Christmas time. I spent some time looking around and saw this looks like a nice and accepting community, so I figured I'd sign up.

I'm a 20-something on the Autism spectrum; officially diagnosed when I was 5 years old. I was very noticeably autistic when I was younger but over the years I have outgrown a lot of my autistic habits and behaviours, but I still have a neurodivergent mind and I experience the world very differently to the majority of people around me.

I struggle a lot with social isolation, anxiety, depression and low self-esteem, and I find it hard to relate to others. Throughout my life I have had very few friends. In my real life right now I am in a steady relationship which I am extremely happy and grateful for, I have one friend, and half-a-dozen family members who currently I am somewhat distant from, and that's it. Unfortunately I have had to drift through most of my life alone as an outcast.

Regarding my interests and hobbies, I am obsessed with music and for a few years now I have been fixated on listening to as much music as possible, usually listening to several new albums a day. I'm alone almost all of the time and I'm hardly required to speak to anyone at my job so that's the only way I am able to listen to as much music as I do. I pretty much listen to music from the moment I wake up to the moment I fall asleep. I listen to all sorts of music ranging from the most popular artists to the most esoteric sound art imaginable.

I also enjoy watching cartoons (I'm more of a cartoon person than an anime person, but I also watch anime on occasion), playing video games (especially platformers and puzzle games), reading about mysterious things, and obsessing over the 90s/2000s and the early Internet. I'm a bit old-fashioned and I'm pretty avoidant of things like social media (TikTok, Reddit, Instagram, etc).

And that's about it. I'm hoping I can settle in nicely and find others who are like me, and maybe even find some new friends here.

Peace, and Happy New Year's everybody. ✌️

1704125218632.png

Welcome, @Nyxem

Everyone is different with diagnosis. Some get it like you did. Others later in life, or never. I'm one of the latter ones. But it's unique, like all us wonderful individuals on the spectrum.

I personally not frequent listener to music, but I have a select few I go back to. I have always been a cartoon fan myself. (Maybe not so much with recent stuff, though.) Even though I am taking a hiatus, I am quite the gamer myself. (Alot of fantasy, action/adventure, and platformer games for me)

I'm a bit old-fashioned and I'm pretty avoidant of things like social media (TikTok, Reddit, Instagram, etc).

This is something that alot of us agree is not a good idea to be apart of. Too many people have polluted thier minds with that trash. And then add on the fact those like us that can be prone to addictions easier messing with that... it's a recipe for disaster.

Last edited:
Hi there too

I was offically diagnosed with ASD2 in early 2019 and I also listen to music from the first thing in the morning to just before I go to bed. I hate silence, but strangely enough, prefer it when I want to sleep.

Despite my age 54, I am considered a modern girl but not at all into all those social plateforms. I do however, use Facebook and Whatsapp.

My current obsession is Korean things, since I got into Korean dramas.

You will fit right in here, I can tell from your post.

I think you are right about this forum being nice and accepting :)

I also like music and puzzel games - I tend to stick with my safe Playlist thou, and can listen to the same song on repeat for days sometimes :) We are all different and yet have similarities, welcome to the forum @Nyxem

Hello, welcome the forum. We are happy to always have new people. I love music too. I got new JBL headphones this Christmas, and I’m loving them. I love a lot of different music and sound.

Hello and welcome Nyx.
I hope you enjoy it here and find some new connections and friendships. Many of us have had good luck with that here even when it seemed impossible elsewhere.

Hi Nyx. :)
You sound like my youngest son re the music obsession and me too when I was younger. I became a musical artist and my son is now too.
I hope you find what you want, and maybe also what you need, here.
It is a very diverse bunch here, as you can imagine.
I'm sure you will find folk you have stuff in common with, if you stick around.

Thanks for the welcomes, everyone! Apologies for taking nearly a whole day to reply - I fell asleep right after I made my intro post.

Welcome to the forum, glad you found us. What sort of music are you 'currently' into?
I listen to a bit of everything, but lately I have been listening to a lot of ambience. It's put me in a very reflective mood going into the new year. Also in the last week I have been enjoying some electronic music from artists such as Devo, Orbital, and Underground Resistance.
Welcome, @Nyxem

Everyone is different with diagnosis. Some get it like you did. Others later in life, or never. I'm one of the latter ones. But it's unique, like all us wonderful individuals on the spectrum.

I personally not frequent listener to music, but I have a select few I go back to. I have always been a cartoon fan myself. (Maybe not so much with recent stuff, though.) Even though I am taking a hiatus, I am quite the gamer myself. (Alot of fantasy, action/adventure, and platformer games for me)

This is something that alot of us agree is not a good idea to be apart of. Too many people have polluted thier minds with that trash. And then add on the fact those like us that can be prone to addictions easier messing with that... it's a recipe for disaster.

Thanks @Xinyta :) You're right in that being on the Autism spectrum is a different and unique journey for all of us.
Hm, any cartoons and games in particular that you're into? I've seen a lot of cartoons in my lifetime so there's a good chance we may have watched some of the same shows, same goes for a lot of video games from the 90s.

Yeah, most social media is trash in my opinion. Twitter and Reddit in particular are dumpster fires. I tried to get into Twitter years ago and had a disastrous time dealing with terrible people and being made fun of. I lasted less than a month before I nuked my account and never went back. I recently quit Reddit - easily 90% of my time spent on that site has consisted of bad encounters and being stuck in excessively negative and toxic environments. Very rarely will you ever find any helpful resources or insightful, meaningful discussions there. I also hate how centralised the Internet has become largely thanks to Reddit. Not many stand-alone forums are around these days, instead they are all compacted into "Subreddits" with terrible UI and a plethora of other issues. Would be happy to talk more about this another time if you like, but for now I'll leave it here.

Hi there too

I was offically diagnosed with ASD2 in early 2019 and I also listen to music from the first thing in the morning to just before I go to bed. I hate silence, but strangely enough, prefer it when I want to sleep.

Despite my age 54, I am considered a modern girl but not at all into all those social plateforms. I do however, use Facebook and Whatsapp.

My current obsession is Korean things, since I got into Korean dramas.

You will fit right in here, I can tell from your post.

Thanks for your reply. :) Glad to hear there are others out there who listen to music for most of the day! I tend to struggle as well when I'm not listening to music unless I'm going to sleep.

I think Facebook and Whatsapp can be okay especially if keeping in contact with family, friends, and loved ones. I find other social media where that connection with people in real life is absent to be more troublesome overall so I tend to avoid those.

Any K-Dramas you could recommend for me to watch? I've only seen a few but a lot of them tend to be well made with a lot of passion put into them.

I think you are right about this forum being nice and accepting :)

I also like music and puzzel games - I tend to stick with my safe Playlist thou, and can listen to the same song on repeat for days sometimes :) We are all different and yet have similarities, welcome to the forum @Nyxem

Thanks! I'm liking it here so far. :) Do you have any favourite songs/genres? I usually like anything that sounds electronic. I also love listening to ambient soundscapes, they can be very calming.

Hello, welcome the forum. We are happy to always have new people. I love music too. I got new JBL headphones this Christmas, and I’m loving them. I love a lot of different music and sound.

Thanks for the welcome, @DaisyRose. Happy to be here. I got some new earbuds this Christmas too that I have been enjoying.

Hello and welcome Nyx.
I hope you enjoy it here and find some new connections and friendships. Many of us have had good luck with that here even when it seemed impossible elsewhere.

Thanks. ^^ Here's hoping! I do want to meet new people and chat... though I do struggle with finding free time and I am juggling quite a bit in my real life which leaves me with little free time. Working full-time and long hours tends to drain most of my time and energy, but I'll try my best to make time to chat to others.

Hi Nyx. :)
You sound like my youngest son re the music obsession and me too when I was younger. I became a musical artist and my son is now too.
I hope you find what you want, and maybe also what you need, here.
It is a very diverse bunch here, as you can imagine.
I'm sure you will find folk you have stuff in common with, if you stick around.

Hello @Neri , thanks for welcoming me. I have heard some people on the Autism spectrum can be obsessed with music, and in many of those cases I've noticed it's more of a fixation on a specific song or set/type of songs. In my case I'm fixated on discovering new music all the time, but I also have plenty of choice favourite songs I love to relisten to as well. What kind of music do you and your son make? I'm liking this forum already!

Hm, any cartoons and games in particular that you're into? I've seen a lot of cartoons in my lifetime so there's a good chance we may have watched some of the same shows, same goes for a lot of video games from the 90s.

Well, starting as a young child. I use to watch Hey Arnold, Ah Real Monsters, and Rugrats. I can't remember much about any of those cartoons anymore, barring a few characters from each.

I remember watching Bettlejuice the Cartoon, but at what age eludes me.

Towards my pre-teens and teens, I watched stuff like Tom and Jerry, Looney Toons, Dexter's Laboratory, Powerpuff Girls, Johny Bravo, Scooby Doo Where Are You, What's New Scooby Doo, Grim and Evil, Evil Concarne, Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy, Kids Next Door, Samurai Jack, Ed Edd and Eddy, Courage the Cowardly Dog, Teen Titans, and Chowder.

I'm sure I missed a few. But this is what I do remember at this moment.

recommend for me to watch.
Just finished one: I'll find you on a beautiful day. 16 episodes. Also have a few on the go, which when I first started to watch them, I would not have been able to do. Live your life. Maestro - strings of truths. Welcome to Samdali. Tell me that you love me.

Have you seen: Extroadinary Attorney Woo?

Thanks for the welcomes, everyone! Apologies for taking nearly a whole day to reply - I fell asleep right after I made my intro post.

I listen to a bit of everything, but lately I have been listening to a lot of ambience. It's put me in a very reflective mood going into the new year. Also in the last week I have been enjoying some electronic music from artists such as Devo, Orbital, and Underground Resistance.

Thanks @Xinyta :) You're right in that being on the Autism spectrum is a different and unique journey for all of us.

Yeah, most social media is trash in my opinion. Twitter and Reddit in particular are dumpster fires. I tried to get into Twitter years ago and had a disastrous time dealing with terrible people and being made fun of. I lasted less than a month before I nuked my account and never went back. I recently quit Reddit - easily 90% of my time spent on that site has consisted of bad encounters and being stuck in excessively negative and toxic environments. Very rarely will you ever find any helpful resources or insightful, meaningful discussions there. I also hate how centralised the Internet has become largely thanks to Reddit. Not many stand-alone forums are around these days, instead they are all compacted into "Subreddits" with terrible UI and a plethora of other issues. Would be happy to talk more about this another time if you like, but for now I'll leave it here.

Thanks for your reply. :) Glad to hear there are others out there who listen to music for most of the day! I tend to struggle as well when I'm not listening to music unless I'm going to sleep.

I think Facebook and Whatsapp can be okay especially if keeping in contact with family, friends, and loved ones. I find other social media where that connection with people in real life is absent to be more troublesome overall so I tend to avoid those.

Any K-Dramas you could recommend for me to watch? I've only seen a few but a lot of them tend to be well made with a lot of passion put into them.

Thanks! I'm liking it here so far. :) Do you have any favourite songs/genres? I usually like anything that sounds electronic. I also love listening to ambient soundscapes, they can be very calming.

Thanks for the welcome, @DaisyRose. Happy to be here. I got some new earbuds this Christmas too that I have been enjoying.

Thanks. ^^ Here's hoping! I do want to meet new people and chat... though I do struggle with finding free time and I am juggling quite a bit in my real life which leaves me with little free time. Working full-time and long hours tends to drain most of my time and energy, but I'll try my best to make time to chat to others.

Hello @Neri , thanks for welcoming me. I have heard some people on the Autism spectrum can be obsessed with music, and in many of those cases I've noticed it's more of a fixation on a specific song or set/type of songs. In my case I'm fixated on discovering new music all the time, but I also have plenty of choice favourite songs I love to relisten to as well. What kind of music do you and your son make? I'm liking this forum already!
My son likes a lot of different stuff. He likes angsty teen music (he is one) but he's also learning that Elvis song, can't help falling in love, because it's in a good range for him. He loves Radiohead. He has written a song, or two, at least he's working on them and he has recorded some electronic music. I did a little recording with him, it is very different to any thing you would ever hear, a little classical sounding, with piano, and interesting drumbeats and then I did some kind of shamanic vocal melody over the top. He is teaching himself guitar.

We are practising the phantom of the opera together because it is a challenging vocal in both our ranges that we can sing as a duet.
We like putting on Youtube songs and singing along. He wants to be a solo artist. Make game compositions, movie scores, write songs, play guitar and bass, sing (he is a bass baritone).

I used to be a reggae artist, in bands. I do a lot of on-the-fly composing but I guess I'm too much of a musical "savant" (my son called me that) because I don't have the tech skills and my abusive ex destroyed all my original reggae songs I wrote and recorded, so I have no recordings.

I have done a LOT of jamming and quite a lot of live performance. I guess I am a soul artist with a lot of folk feels these days, whatever that means. I want to learn guitar and do my own thing. But too autistic and reclusive to be working at the moment.

One lady described a song I wrote as "fairyland reggae" and then I've been compared to Janis Joplin and Bjork as well. I do a lot of different stuff. I really like psytrance as well. I went to a rave festival with my oldest son last year. Absolutely loved it, but I got severe burnout from going. I really love to dance and rave festivals are the best for dancing IMO.

We are glad to welcome you to this forum! you have a cool avatar and I liked what you said about yourself, I would like to see more posts from you in the near future. Happy New Year and Merry Christmas

We are glad to welcome you to this forum! you have a cool avatar and I liked what you said about yourself, I would like to see more posts from you in the near future. Happy New Year and Merry Christmas
You Kityoume have a cool avatar and i like what you said about yourself. I look forward to your new posts.

That happens to the best of us :)
The question with favorite songs/genres is of the kind I never know how to answer :) I can tell you what I have on repeat right now thou:

That happens to the best of us :)
The question with favorite songs/genres is of the kind I never know how to answer :) I can tell you what I have on repeat right now thou:

New Threads

Top Bottom