• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Greetings!

OnyxM

Hi everyone :) Nice to meet you all here.

I decided to register here because I suspect I either have ASD or ADD or both and I'm not sure yet so I'm on the research spree for the moment. Can't afford a diagnosis for now so self diagnosis is my only option. I'm hoping that by reading these forums and people's experiences and symptoms, I'll be able to maybe confirm my suspicions because what I have can't possibly be only anxiety.

Sorry for any odd errors, english is my 2nd language.

upload_2020-9-26_9-11-10.png

Hi and welcome, I hope you find the threads and resources here helpful. I would say that the core of autism is social and communication difficulties, which tends to make us confused and anxious at times as we try to navigate the neurotypical world where things that are clear and obvious to the neurotypical person are not the same for us.

This is a 2 way issue, as neurotypical people often assume their way of processing is the only right way, and have developed therapies to try to supposedly correct how we are. I do think that knowing about autism and how it manifests can be helpful if it's applicable to you, and should hopefully lessen anxiety somewhat, as you work on self acceptance that you have some differences that are sometimes problematic but are just part of how you are, and gain strategies around difficulties.

Plus tell us your strategies too please! All ideas are welcome, what works for you may work for us!

:watermelon::icecreamcone::grapes::pizza::cherries::lollipop::strawberry::icecream::peach:

Hi and welcome!

I'm a newbie myself and in a similar position as you. We may learn from one another and help each other out on our way of discovering ourselves and the world through our new, understanding point of view.

You may find many interesting topics, ideas and tips here, and probably there'll be the odd eye-opener moment or other as well for you. :);):D

Hi and welcome, I hope you find the threads and resources here helpful. I would say that the core of autism is social and communication difficulties, which tends to make us confused and anxious at times as we try to navigate the neurotypical world where things that are clear and obvious to the neurotypical person are not the same for us.

This is a 2 way issue, as neurotypical people often assume their way of processing is the only right way, and have developed therapies to try to supposedly correct how we are. I do think that knowing about autism and how it manifests can be helpful if it's applicable to you, and should hopefully lessen anxiety somewhat, as you work on self acceptance that you have some differences that are sometimes problematic but are just part of how you are, and gain strategies around difficulties.

Plus tell us your strategies too please! All ideas are welcome, what works for you may work for us!

:watermelon::icecreamcone::grapes::pizza::cherries::lollipop::strawberry::icecream::peach:

Hey, lovely comment, thank you :)
I am confused as to whether I have only ASD or ADD or both. You see I KNOW that I have something related to them both so I'm not sure if it's only one of them or the two of them co-existing. I have many traits of autism such as the whole eye contact thing, the intense anxiety especially around people, the desire for a stable comfy routine that doesn't change unexpectedly, the social inept part and the communication thing because although I do have a satisfying vocabulary and know what I want to say, I don;'t seem to be able to find the words easily when speaking. But the thing is..I'm also forgetful to a fault, get distracted VERY easily (I call myself 'scatter-brain' to describe how my mind works), I can't focus on tasks and there are so many things that are considered 'simple' for others that I just can't do. I very often feel totally useless because of these traits. I have many hobbies and interests but I lack the autistic obsession/focus that I'd need to succeed even in one of them. The only thing I know I can do very well is typing and washing the dishes lol. Of these two I can be sure I'm very efficient.

Hi and welcome!

I'm a newbie myself and in a similar position as you. We may learn from one another and help each other out on our way of discovering ourselves and the world through our new, understanding point of view.

You may find many interesting topics, ideas and tips here, and probably there'll be the odd eye-opener moment or other as well for you. :);):D

Ι hope so too Stella, thank you :) (Nice name btw owo)

I am confused as to whether I have only ASD or ADD or both. You see I KNOW that I have something related to them both so I'm not sure if it's only one of them or the two of them co-existing. I have many traits of autism such as the whole eye contact thing, the intense anxiety especially around people, the desire for a stable comfy routine that doesn't change unexpectedly, the social inept part and the communication thing because although I do have a satisfying vocabulary and know what I want to say, I don;'t seem to be able to find the words easily when speaking. But the thing is..I'm also forgetful to a fault, get distracted VERY easily (I call myself 'scatter-brain' to describe how my mind works), I can't focus on tasks and there are so many things that are considered 'simple' for others that I just can't do. I very often feel totally useless because of these traits. I have many hobbies and interests but I lack the autistic obsession/focus that I'd need to succeed even in one of them. The only thing I know I can do very well is typing and washing the dishes lol. Of these two I can be sure I'm very efficient.

Well these are 2 diagnoses that often go together, so it wouldn't be surprising if you have both to an extent, plenty here have, and finding strategies for what you experience is possibly more important than getting a diagnosis which in the end is just someone listening to what you experience and applying a label to it. But this is often helpful and useful to some of course.

Good luck with your research, I hope discussion here will be useful!

Hobbies interests aren't really something you succeed in so much as something you just enjoy spending your time doing. Something I have tended to do is rotate thru interests/pasttimes.. Sometimes one just becomes dull after a while and a change is needed and other times the impetous becomes exhausted and needs time to recharge. But over time I do return to favorites and in some cases become more knowledgable or skilled in the long run.

Welcome to the forums!
You'll find a lot of info here and people to talk with on various topics. :)

New Threads

Top Bottom