• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Good jobs for autistic people???

I would definitely prefer to work from home. I hate having to dress up for work.

A few years back Remploy in Town offered me the chance of a Home based Business, I turned it down, the constant phone calls every 30 seconds would've drove me insane.

wanderer03 Yeah Hospital Radio was a good laugh, the only reason I left just over 5 years ago was because I thought I was getting a better job, which of course didn't happen.

I would like to do something along the lines of self employment dont know if i could do a normal job still have some focus and attention problems

Don't take a job with an "inbox and an outbox", combined with incoming phone calls and email.

Trust me. :eek:

As much as working as a cashier is a stereotypically horrible job for an aspie, it works well for me. I grew up not knowing of the possibility I'm an aspie so I grew up constantly being told to just push myself. So although I did have panic attacks on the daily at first, it turned out to be a very good thing for me. It was my first job and the routine that the break-lunch schedule provides is good for me. I got acquainted with everything to do with a first job - how to talk to customers, how to talk to managers, etc. And cause it was my first job and I was new people were willing to work with me. Some of my supervisors are very nice people, and I love our new front end manager. She's made some very positive changes and she's very friendly while remaining professional. Through this job, no matter how fake it is 75% of the time, I get social interaction and learn how to interact with people and read them better.

I would like to do something along the lines of self employment dont know if i could do a normal job still have some focus and attention problems
Pineman, do you drive? If so, do you have an SUV or pickup truck? You could contract with an auto parts company or with Amazon Flex. There are all kinds of independent contractor driving jobs out there. I'm about to go that way myself.

Pineman, do you drive? If so, do you have an SUV or pickup truck? You could contract with an auto parts company or with Amazon Flex. There are all kinds of independent contractor driving jobs out there. I'm about to go that way myself.

No i dont not yet a least but I hope to soon also I never been that good with mechcanical or construction or any thing of that sort of nature i do like to run my dad thinks i could be a personal trainer I have to study Nutrition and And other thing s like physiology i would have to train myself to and get in shape i also intend to start college soon

Last edited:
That's a tough one to answer, but I'll try.
I've worked as a freelancer for 2 years, translating documents, proofreading, transcripts, etc. It was a good job. But not enough to support me, so I only took it as a part time option. I studied mechanical engineering, and also specialized in my fields of interest like programming and solar energy. I work as an engineer now in a power plant. I mostly work with numbers, reports, stats and more. I also do group projects and tasks, if groups are not your thing, then go with something that requires working from home. Freelancing can give you good chances to succeed.

My advice, though uncharacteristically short, is to learn to be self sufficient. It isn't for everyone and I don't know you or if you can do it but it has been my choice. I chose this path and in only a short time I have found vast freedom from the efforts taken down the road to independance. But there is the option. It takes brains, sweat and guts but you will learn to be a giant compared to your past self. Feel free to message me if you want to know more details of what I'm talking about.

I am unemployed and desperately need and want to earn a paycheck. Problems with getting past the hour-long-difficult-questions interview. I clamp up or I get tongue tied. Can someone please offer some suggestions.

The military is great for Aspies because it takes a lot of the guesswork out of things: they tell you what to wear, what to say, how to behave, even where to keep your eyes... (usually not on your drill sergeant's). If you work in, say, intelligence, the advantage is that either you're a technology geek or look for patterns or talk to potential enemies, where our natural suspiciousness and detachment come in handy. If you're a mechanic, there is less interaction with people. If you outrank someone, it is easier to not "get personal" and give them an accurate performance review or the talking to they need after getting drunk and stupid. The only source of confusion for me has been the cafeteria, it's hard to choose and even to know where the line starts and ends in a sea of moving people in camouflage.

The military is great for Aspies because it takes a lot of the guesswork out of things: they tell you what to wear, what to say, how to behave, even where to keep your eyes... (usually not on your drill sergeant's). If you work in, say, intelligence, the advantage is that either you're a technology geek or look for patterns or talk to potential enemies, where our natural suspiciousness and detachment come in handy. If you're a mechanic, there is less interaction with people. If you outrank someone, it is easier to not "get personal" and give them an accurate performance review or the talking to they need after getting drunk and stupid. The only source of confusion for me has been the cafeteria, it's hard to choose and even to know where the line starts and ends in a sea of moving people in camouflage.
I often wondered if this was a possibility. But the morality of it killed the idea.

I don't think a job in the military would be good for an aspie because of the sensory issues. Loud noises, glare, startling visions and sounds .... Even the pressure of basic training washes out neurotypicals too.

I don't think a job in the military would be good for an aspie because of the sensory issues. Loud noises, glare, startling visions and sounds .... Even the pressure of basic training washes out neurotypicals too.
Yeah, I forgot all that. Add to that the physical component and I'd be a raving mess on my day off.

Yeah, I forgot all that. Add to that the physical component and I'd be a raving mess on my day off.

On the contrary, I'd never sign up but I think the Army might suit an Aspie, especially someone who likes set in stone routine, as that's kind of the "thing" in the Army apparently.

As for my perfect jobs, I've done retail for years, customer facing, you'd think that under normal circumstances that kind of thing would be the job from hell for someone on the Spectrum, on the contrary I love it.

On the contrary, I'd never sign up but I think the Army might suit an Aspie, especially someone who likes set in stone routine, as that's kind of the "thing" in the Army apparently.

As for my perfect jobs, I've done retail for years, customer facing, you'd think that under normal circumstances that kind of thing would be the job from hell for someone on the Spectrum, on the contrary I love it.
I guess it all depends. I am really good at customer complaints, so I'd probably be ok with that. I suck at reception type stuff, so it would be hell. If you enjoy it, bugger to what others assume. I'm brilliant at theory (humanities and social sciences), but I don't enjoy it, so I work on trucks, which is relatively difficult for me. Rich, if you are happy in retail - power to you, mate.

Army - discipline would be me to a T. Just the energy expenditure would do me in.

I wrote novels in basic training and took up cartooning to deal with the sensory issues. Battle simulations were soothing, because "engaging" the "enemy" was a way to tune everything out except my mission which, at its most basic, was to move from A to B while eliminating threats. There was no worrying about annoyances like the sweat under the rim of my cap, no worrying about my teammates noticing my oddness, no time to stress because I can't do my little stimming rituals. One downside of the military is any mandatory fun or Family Day where we're expected to socialize. I hide in the bathroom a lot or go help out somewhere away from the crowd.

I often wondered if this was a possibility. But the morality of it killed the idea.

Because of my faith, I struggled with the morality of it too. At the risk of starting a political debate, I decided that, in the end, the military is no more immoral than law enforcement or surgery to excise cancer. Yes, mistakes can be and are made in all of those professions as we have collateral damage, false arrests and removing extra tissue, but human society cannot thrive in anarchy; we need cops, soldiers, surgeons and people to toss out trash: unpalatable societal functions but necessary. It's been said that wars are unnecessary, and our problems could all be solved through diplomacy. This is hypothetically true, but unless we put all of mankind of Ritalin or other behavior-modification drugs, someone somewhere will always be ready to start something, and we'd be fools to be unable to defend ourselves or our friends.

Bottom line is, ethics aside, the military helped me find focus, structure and discipline, skills to function better in the NT world.

Because of my faith, I struggled with the morality of it too. At the risk of starting a political debate, I decided that, in the end, the military is no more immoral than law enforcement or surgery to excise cancer. Yes, mistakes can be and are made in all of those professions as we have collateral damage, false arrests and removing extra tissue, but human society cannot thrive in anarchy; we need cops, soldiers, surgeons and people to toss out trash: unpalatable societal functions but necessary. It's been said that wars are unnecessary, and our problems could all be solved through diplomacy. This is hypothetically true, but unless we put all of mankind of Ritalin or other behavior-modification drugs, someone somewhere will always be ready to start something, and we'd be fools to be unable to defend ourselves or our friends.

Bottom line is, ethics aside, the military helped me find focus, structure and discipline, skills to function better in the NT world.
I can understand this. Makes sense. The morality issue is also coloured by my naivity. Took me 25 yrs to shake me from vegetarianism. I may just think of the armed forces after I'm 50! Lol. I think that is what I find attractive about it. The focus and discipline. Thanks Odd Duck 1357 .

New Threads

Top Bottom