• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Good jobs for autistic people???

Thank you, I'm actually 44 and just somehow managed to blend in and adapt. I never sought help with autism before, but now I'm at a place where I really must humble myself and ask for help.
Oh wow! My vintage! Um...yeah.

I get what you mean. Humility is a most wonderful and heart warming quality, you know.

You're so kind. I'm so used to getting treated with ugliness and uncompassionate people that I am lacking in confidence and self worth, even from my own family members. I have endured every kind of abuse there is and finally I'm at a place where I can receive some comfort and love.

I don't know how to use this site yet. How do i reply to an individual?
I'm the same! No idea how to do anything. I tried uploading an avatar pic SO many times. Epic fail.

I think you press reply under the person's post. Bottom RH corner of the post. It's what I did to yours.

Hmm. Yes, the abuse, criticism etc. We're supposed to understand it is simply NTs not understandung us and feeling frustrated. We're not entitled to make any ripples about that. They just didn't know we are on the spectrum, we never communicate adequately what we want and need, they are just acting the best they can etc...ad nauseum.

I suspect you are perfectly ok, Uniquechic. Doesn't help you, but you sure ain't alone on this path.

I don't know how to use this site yet. How do i reply to an individual?

There are a couple ways to direct a comment to a particular individual.
You could click "Reply" and then write what you wanted to say.

Or you can write the person's username exactly as shown with the at sign
immediately preceding the name, NO space in between. [at sign = @]

So you get a nice little image like this....
UniqueChic

And the advantage is the person you wanted to speak to gets a notice.
He/she sees that you mentioned him/her in a post.

Kupu2 Mia sent me these istrustions regarding the profile picture in the android app and it worked for me...

Go to your profile page, and click on your current picture/avatar. This will bring up a black box called 'Avatar editor'. You can change your picture/avatar there and save it. The instructions to do so are pretty much self explanatory.

Note: If you have difficulty while uploading a new picture, click on 'reload current page'<br />in your browser during the process, if it's taking too long to upload.

Good luck!

PM conversations on personal profiles can be started too, and notes can be left on peoples profiles...and if your feeling brave there is the chat box too!

I am still struggling with the avatar picture for some reason...:rolleyes:

Hmm...:confused: well a picture went up in all the picture file thrashings about, not sure if I can get a nice avatar up.

Last edited:
I've been doing Charity work for years, very enjoyable and it's for mostly good causes.

I've been doing Charity work for years, very enjoyable and it's for mostly good causes.
I enjoy that kind of work as well. I found it interesting though that you had to interview for a volunteer position. In the states, everyone is so desperate for volunteers that the door is thrown wide open for anyone that wants.

I think everyone's comments are wonderfully insightful. No one mentioned the possibility of using your state's vocational rehabilitation services to find employment. I'm in a very poor southern state with limited resources but our voc rehab professionals are a huge help to many. Here, they listen to you, what you want to do, what you think you're capable of doing, your skills, educational level, etc. and then try to match you up with a willing employer to see if the job will work for you and the employer. The state even will provide a free job coach to you for a couple of weeks to help you train. These are not high paying jobs but can and often do lead to better jobs once your employer gets to know you and the quality of your work. Call me naïve but I believe most people are good and kind, and once an employer understands you, they will work with you.

At 64 years old I've probably had more job interviews than most here on this site. I've learned a lot from my mistakes and I'll offer a few pointers based on my personal experiences. I welcome criticism from other members with different opinions. I've had so many job interviews that I completely got over the nervousness that accompanied early interviews. I have answered all the "standard" questions enough times to have the answers memorized.

1: Try to avoid volunteering too much information. I have destroyed my chances by being too open. I do not like to lie and I try to be truthful in interviews but too many details often give the interviewer a wrong impression.

2: If your spectrum behaviors might cause issues in the position - reveal them. I did not discover Asperger's until after I became disabled and I now realize my working life would have been much different If I had known and told employers about the issues that might affect my performance.

3: Try to apply for positions that play to your personal strengths and interests, than the answers you give will be truthful and enthusiastic.

4: Asking questions is good but be careful that the questions you ask don't open doors to subjects your interviewer doesn't need to know about. I have asked safety questions that opened the door to discussion of safety issues where I didn't come off looking good.

5: If, like me, you are a poor liar don't try to fake your qualifications or experience. NT's are much better at detecting lies than you might believe.

6: Be sure to research the company beforehand and be ready to ask specific questions about what the company does. Prepare beforehand to offer examples of how your spectrum behaviors can benefit the company. Attention to detail, logical problem solving, intense focus on a task...etc are some of my strengths that I never properly presented in interviews.

7: Unless you are a true "team player" try to avoid positions where a lot of interaction with others is a large part of the job. When asked "team" questions absolutely avoid saying "I work better alone". Say you like to listen to what others say and use their opinions to enhance your own ideas. (a bit of innocuous drivel that sounds more meaningful than it is)

8: Don't argue with the interviewer even when he/she is completely wrong. You can sometimes get away with saying you disagree but it may better to just be quiet. I argued with an interviewer when he was absolutely wrong because I thought it was a test. It wasn't and the interviewer actually got angry.

9: I have had interviewers make political comments baiting me to start a political conversation. My first instinct was to express my opinion but I suppressed that instinct and kept quiet.

I'll stop here but I have tons if interview experiences.

I have gone the route of using skills and knowledge gained from my interests for work. While it has made working understandable, (I always have trouble understanding what it is that people actually do at their jobs if it isn't pretty well described) I've not managed to be very successful, unless you consider maintaining employment for 34 years a success.

I am considering looking for a different line of work, myself, even though most would think I am perfectly suited for my current job.

Graphic design would be something worth looking into.

Some of the best jobs I've done, you'd think would be hell for an Aspie, such as customer service, and Hospital Radio, only problem with the Hospital Radio was that I always hated how my voice sounds on the Radio.

Some of the best jobs I've done, you'd think would be hell for an Aspie, such as customer service, and Hospital Radio, only problem with the Hospital Radio was that I always hated how my voice sounds on the Radio.
I would love to do radio. I sound like a 7 year old though!

Hospital Radio sounds fun!!!!

New Threads

Top Bottom