• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Foriegn Languages

I struggled with French at school but did much better when I switched to German.

A couple of years ago I decided to teach myself Spanish. I was doing well but started to forget what I had learnt. It turns out unless you have someone to speak language with regularly its hard to retain, although I do remember the alphabet and its pronunciations.

If you got the right grammar, most of the languages turn out to be rather logical. Things turn to worse when you have to deal with things like idioms where there are less or none rules to follow. All in all, though, languages come rather easy for me.

I've been learning Esperanto over the last five months. It is a really easy language. I can have a conversation in it through typed text. I'm looking forward to have a conversation in public with it.

On Telegram, there are a lot of Esperantists. YouTube has a lot of speakers in the language.

I've always found languages fairly easy to learn and I'm a good mimic so my accent is good.
I heard Tony Attwood speaking about women with Aspergers and he said this is quite common for female Aspies because we learn to copy others from an early age. It's part of our coping mechanism.

Learning languages is not difficult for me.
BTW;) it’s not ‘foriegn’, it’s ‘foreign’ please correct the title (or @tree ...). Sorry, I tried to shup up, but now this thread is featured :eek:.

No one really learns languages in school. They don't teach it right.

I always wanted to maximize – thought I could take French in middle school and Spanish in high school, but that didn't work. Even in university all they teach you is to pass exams.

As an adult, I want to learn languages, but I find I need a compelling reason. I'd learn a language for the sake of a sibling or a friend, or for the sake of a special interest. I've taught myself enough of a language to understand lyrics by favourite bands, for instance – which is to say, I've learned the translations, and after that the pattern-matching is pretty straight-forward. I'd learn one to read a book, but the only one I've done that with is Esperanto, and that has to be the simplest language ever made. I still can't be said to be more than bi-lingual.

In the brief time that I tried studying American Sign Language, I remember feeling like I was more comfortable with it, it felt more natural.

YES YES YES!
I even flunked college English grammar, not realizing my brain evolved differently than most and there was no way I could make heads or tails of anything!

And writing is my thing! Now I understand why this was not possible for me, yet at the time and for years later, the shame I felt in failing was quite painful. Sound familiar?

Now I can see and embrace all that I am able to do and do well! And there are so many gifts I can enjoy! I remind myself, I'll be perfect when I die. Until then I choose to accept and enjoy and celebrate ALL of who I am NOW!

Reading these posts help make sense of sooooo much!
I AM NOT ALONE!

Excellent post! Thank you, everyone!

New Threads

Top Bottom