• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Fictional Characters whom you think have Asperger/autism

Has anyone mentioned Milton from Office space?

He surely has a few traits that add up.

And interestingly enough I found that Jay Gatsby (The Great Gatsby) showed some traits. But that might just as well be general social ineptness and some other minor things.

I have a theory that if (the latest statistics) 2% of the population has ASD, then, by the creator's intuition, if not by intent, 2% of fictional characters have it.

Will Graham, the lead character on the new TV show Hannibal, says that he is on the autism spectrum in the first episode and is depicted as someone who finds social interaction difficult and unpleasant. I find this interesting since this element of the character was not present in the novel Red Dragon (which was published before Asperger's was well-known) or either of its two movie adaptations (1986's Manhunter or 2002's Red Dragon).

Will Graham is an interesting one. I remember how surprised I was to start watching the show and hear an Asperger's reference less than ten minutes in. His disregard for shallow social graces and his dislike of eye contact - from memory, he found it an unnecessary distraction, and did not think that the eyes were "the windows to the soul - does certainly point AS, but he didn't say that he had it, he said that out of psychopathy and autism, he was closer to autism. Later on it seemed to me that his psychological profile was quite the opposite to AS: he had an unusual abundance of "mirror neurons", which you're only supposed to have as a child, which is why he could absorb the thoughts, feelings and actions of the killers he was helping to catch. Aspies are believed to have an unusually low number mirror neurons, which is why their vocal and physical communication is do different. Generally, when NT children observe an adult smiling, they smile back, but aspies tend to just think "oh, that's nice" and are not particularly motivated to copy it.

Gil Grissom from CSI - Intelligent (full of facts), obsession with bugs, unusual way of relaxing (roller coasters, also very knowledgeable about them).
Nero Wolf (Rex Stout's fictional detective)- Likes things on time (throws tantrums if not), dislikes being touched, does not socialize, very intelligent, socially awkward, obsessed with orchards.
Calvin from the Calvin & Hobbes - Socially awkward (only associates with a toy tiger), inventive, imaginative, does poorly at school despite being bright, obsessed with dinosaurs, lives in his own world most of the time.
Hercule Poirot (Agatha Christie's fictional detective) - Often seems insensitive, big ego, eye for detail, obsession with symmetry, strong likes and dislikes, odd (old-fashion) dress-sense.

Giorgia in the Italian movie La meglio gioventu. She's in a Mental Hospital but there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with her other than that she's possible depressed ( is careless with walking in front of cars), and doesn't blend in to NT society.

Stewart from the series "Hello Ladies", It could be he has Asperger's but it could just be that I identify with the character.

Lisbeth Salander from The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo trilogy. Stieg Larsson does hint at her Aspie nature. She was the first female I could really relate to regarding Aspergers.

I think the titular character of Hey Arnold is an aspie since he's taking problems like an adult or a teenager despite being 9 years old.

Will Graham is an interesting one. I remember how surprised I was to start watching the show and hear an Asperger's reference less than ten minutes in. His disregard for shallow social graces and his dislike of eye contact - from memory, he found it an unnecessary distraction, and did not think that the eyes were "the windows to the soul - does certainly point AS, but he didn't say that he had it, he said that out of psychopathy and autism, he was closer to autism. Later on it seemed to me that his psychological profile was quite the opposite to AS: he had an unusual abundance of "mirror neurons", which you're only supposed to have as a child, which is why he could absorb the thoughts, feelings and actions of the killers he was helping to catch. Aspies are believed to have an unusually low number mirror neurons, which is why their vocal and physical communication is do different. Generally, when NT children observe an adult smiling, they smile back, but aspies tend to just think "oh, that's nice" and are not particularly motivated to copy it.

I feel like I am a female copy of Will Graham and what I found interesting is that he was thought to have a "cocktail of personality disorders and neuroses that make him a skilled profiler" and I think I know what that cocktail is. I think the Will Graham shown on NBC Hannibal does have Aspergers, but also has comorbid Schizotypal (which I also have and it explains some of the extremely strange things he says that have next to nothing to do with murder not to mention the disdain for being social rather than the dysfunctionality of being social that happens with just plain AS) and the strong sensory issues that go along with Aspergers and being cognitively impaired in certain ways contribute greatly to his abilities. He has excess empathy but if you were to speak to him face to have, he would not come across as empathetic at all which is the case with many Aspies.

"Little Voice" film actress Jane Horrocks can only express herself via singing. Featuring Michael Caine.

Attachments

• little voice actress.jpg
    little voice actress.jpg
    4.1 KB · Views: 213
  • little voice.jpg
    little voice.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 158
What about Katniss Everdeen, from Hunger Games?

*Spoiler Alert*

She struggles to follow the intentions of most people around her, even if they're on her side. She has little hindsight in to the consequences of her actions, on a global scale. And she relates better to the more interesting tributes in the second book/ movie, as opposed to the Careers. I'm not sure if it's just me, but also I noticed she treats people like people, and not like they're competition in a game; she isn't deluded by the reality the Capitol tries to sell to her. Also, she didn't realise that two different guys liked her :p

Not saying he is or was necessarily written as an Aspie, but Severus Snape does have many aspergic traits.

Okay, I know Ricky Gervais INSISTS that Derek from "Derek" does not have Autism but OMG I can see it anyway. All the episodes are up on YouTube if you haven't seen it and are interested but don't have Netflix. The series is really neat but omg that last episode= absolute tearjerker.

Kindness is magic. :)

Re: Aspergical overtones In Media Today

Bella Swan of Twilight.

She has her obsessions, like her boyfriend or her wannabe boyfriend; she's socially awkward; she lacks "social empathy" like when she can't for the life of her understand why Jessica is upset with her after she walks off to talk to a group of strange and potentially dangerous men in the middle of their movie date; she is clumsy and has a tendency to stumble across flat surfaces, suggesting she has that kind of gait; she has selective phobias, like when she is afraid of blood sometimes but not always. I could go on, but that'd be nitpicking, and it's been five years since I read the books.

New Threads

Top Bottom