• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Fictional Characters whom you think have Asperger/autism

I suspect Moss from the IT Crowd. He does show a lot of Aspie personas and he has narrow interests and he tends to be a bit socially inept, so I would say he has a mild case of Aspergers Syndrome.

And his partner too, what kind of person would buy a translated version of Harry Potter and read both books simultaniously to check if the translation is correct? :p

Did anyone say Dr. Spencer Reid yet? From Criminal Minds. He's definitely got some degree of it.

Like all other Sherlocks, also that one from series Elementary. Elementary (TV Series 2012
I always have a crush on characters like these, I wonder why ;)

What about Palahniuk's Tender Branson from book Survivor? Time has passed since I read it, but I remember thinking him such like.

Dr. Emmett "Doc" Brown and George McFly (Marty McFly's dad in the 50's, portrayed by the actor Crispin Glover) from the movie Back to the Future

Like all other Sherlocks, also that one from series Elementary. Elementary (TV Series 2012
I always have a crush on characters like these, I wonder why ;)

What about Palahniuk's Tender Branson from book Survivor? Time has passed since I read it, but I remember thinking him such like.

I think I have stated a case before for this character not being an aspie ... he always seems to be more paranoid schizophrenic than aspie. Like if he was on medication he would be fine. Plus he's a risk taker and I couldn't imagine an Aspie breaking into houses, cars and so on even to solve cases.

But I understand what you say about being attracted to the bad boy :) all my fave shows I get a bit of a crush on the character that is a bit of a loner and an A hole to all the other characters. I think that's probably more about taming the bad boy as I love the whole heavy metal look (long hair, leather etc)

Also I wanted to add that if anyone has started watching Hannibal (premiered last week) the actually admit in the first episode that the lead investigator character is an aspie. Though that character kind of annoyed me because it wasn't a very well written aspie. I think they were trying to make him more borderline Aspie/Autie but it didn't really work. He seemed to be scared of everything and we all know that aspie's aren't afraid of every little thing in the world.

I think I have stated a case before for this character not being an aspie ... he always seems to be more paranoid schizophrenic than aspie. Like if he was on medication he would be fine. Plus he's a risk taker and I couldn't imagine an Aspie breaking into houses, cars and so on even to solve cases.

It's probably that much about the bad boy aspect, but someone inclined to prove themselves at this scale that does it for me :>
Sadly I haven't heard your contribution about this character. I've only watched to e01s11, maybe he's due to change later on? The way I see it, breaking into houses, and neglecting rules over all, is very characteristic for an aspie with a passion, after all, he's not a planner and acts on an impulse. Compared to Simon Baker from The Mentalist, who is more far fetched with his intuitions than Sherlock, Holmes hardly has difficulties observing his surroundings as they really are and doesn't have problems processing facts, which to me does tell there's not reality distortion involved.
His relationship with his dad feels promising plot twister. I'll stay tuned.

somewhere back in this thread I think I commented on sherlock. I have followed many versions of sherlock. They are all eccentric. which could be an aspie trait.

Sherlock seems to have no issue with personal boundaries. Yes Aspie's can miss the whole boundary thing but they way he comes across is not so much he doesn't understand them he just doesn't care about crossing them. Dr Brennan from Bones comes across as failing to understand those boundaries rather than just stepping over them. She is a very good example of an aspie in a TV show imo.

Also nearly every version of sherlock holmes i have ever seen he has an amazing understanding of human interaction. He's like a human lie detector. I think we aspies would be blind to a lot of that stuff. Not that we couldn't learn it but I don't think we could to the same level as portrayed by a sherlock holmes character. I think it would over whelm us because there is so much to look out for and so much that has to come by instinct alone and that one fact would probably rule out aspergers.

Sherlock holmes as a character is incredibly confident. He's not afraid to get in anyone's face. I don't know many aspies that would be that confrontational. He's also very narcissistic. Usually in anything I have watched, representations of sherlock seem to demand that Watson fits in with him ... he doesn't really seem bothered too much by if Watson is there. Watson almost seems like a cuddly that he drags around with him because its somewhat amusing for him.

Sherlock holmes, as portrayed in Elementary, also strikes me that if you gave him some meds he would probably pass for normal. I don't know many aspies that could can just give some meds to and their social awkwardness would disappear. It almost seems to me that Sherlock Holmes the character, in just about every reincarnation I've seen, listens to and follows the voices in his head.

Its also entirely possible he has aspergers going on with something else. Most aspies i know would rather hide under a rock all day but Sherlock just seems to want to go out and find something, like he has to find something to do with himself. He puts himself into difficult positions.

I guess my whole point is Sherlock Holmes just doesn't really seem to care if anyone follows along his pathways. He just does what he wants and if say Watson wants to tag along then he's not really bothered. Watson is more of a tool to him in his trade.

that's why I think he's not an aspie. :)

This forum seems to have so many threads concerning different adaptations of Holmes, that some information easily gets missing, in this threat wasn't anything more about this one. One thread I liked too: psychopath/high functioning sociopath

It's true that he might be a lot of things, and there's not real reason trying to typify him as an aspie just because he's likable and has few traits in common. I have to admit that I haven't seen so much series to be able to tell good characteristics.
Whether it's interesting to think how he might act outside the storyline, which usually won't cover his whole daily routines, and according to that outgoing trait, I've seen that many aspies aren't always just hiding at home but many do seem to realize it's good to go outside too for self-fulfillment. Well, what ever he is, I like that production teams don't usually underline these to point of dull obviousness.

Dr. Lightman from Lie To Me seems like it. It may not seem like it at first but the evidence against him having it actually supports him having it much more in fact.

Will Graham, the lead character on the new TV show Hannibal, says that he is on the autism spectrum in the first episode and is depicted as someone who finds social interaction difficult and unpleasant. I find this interesting since this element of the character was not present in the novel Red Dragon (which was published before Asperger's was well-known) or either of its two movie adaptations (1986's Manhunter or 2002's Red Dragon).

I LOVE community. For months now I have been trying to get other people here to watch it. Abed has aspbergers. It is written into the script and never denied. He is fascinated with film and pop culture. They have many episodes that focus on just his character. I highly recommend it. It is such a funny show! My favorite episode is when they try to throw him a Pulp Fiction birthday party but they don't know he is pretending to be a character from another movie. And the two paint ball episodes are hysterical.
Part of the reason Abed is so good is because the creator of the show was a possible Aspie.

Quasimodo from Disney's Hunchback of Notre Dame definitely has Autism, while Judge Claude Frollo has many of the tell tale signs of Asperger's Syndrome.

I actually think he is more of a sociopath.

Another argument in favor of Sherlock Holmes being on the spectrum rather than having sociopathy is his strict moral code.

Also he is singularly obsessed with solving crimes and investigating puzzling situations to,the exclusion of everything else in his life.

Last edited:
Mozzie in White Collar tumblr_md6lzjF3lP1qhmj0bo1_500.jpg 292809-white-collar-usa-network-what-would-neal-caffrey-do-without-mozzie.jpg

Did anyone say Dr. Spencer Reid yet? From Criminal Minds. He's definitely got some degree of it.
Yah actually they have a few pages back and they even say so in the first season in one of the episodes they tell you that he he is autistic. Though its pretty obvious.

New Threads

Top Bottom