• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Fictional Characters whom you think have Asperger/autism

I don't think so. She wants so badly to join society and embraces all of it as soon as she can — the people, the bar fights, the strangers, family... the life she always wanted. She goes into the city and starts singing, dancing, and hugging people. Not very aspie like.
Most NTs wouldn't do that, because it's too unconventional. I think some of us would be more like that if we hadn't been treated badly by people.
Plus...the main reason she wants to go to the city is to see the Floating Lanterns which have been her "dream" (obsession) for years. (Aspie "special interest"/obsession and perserveration).

To be fair, the singing and dancing probably isn't anything any of us would do unless we were in a musical. :rolleyes:

Most NTs wouldn't do that, because it's too unconventional. I think some of us would be more like that if we hadn't been treated badly by people.
Plus...the main reason she wants to go to the city is to see the Floating Lanterns which have been her "dream" (obsession) for years. (Aspie "special interest"/obsession and perserveration).

This sounds more like another condition, which is often misdiagnosed as Aspergers; I know, as I was told I might have it at one stage, though I believe otherwise, as my symptoms relate better towards AS (perhaps I have both, if that's possible).

The condition is called associative disorder, which is infamous amongst children living in orphanages. It's caused when the parent/s, or primary carer, of the child is rarely present in their day to day life (such as two working parents; leaving you to fend for yourself often), or if a child is grossly neglected, or unloved (simply inexperienced, or bad parenting).

While it's not always the case, sometimes the reason for the gross neglect, is because the primary carer of the child has Narcissistic Personality Disorder (which is the obvious case in this story, as her kidnapper is obviously very self-obsessed). The end result is a child that doesn't receive a proper upbringing, due to gross neglect, and so often appears 'odd' in social circumstances, and is unable to bond with others normally (either being too withdrawn, or too friendly - even in high risk situations), as they do not understand what is appropriate.

I was able to relate extremely well with Rapunzel in this movie, as I too believe my mother is the same with me. If you're interested, take a look at this article about a common detrimental relationship between daughters, and their Narcissistic Mothers:

Daughters of Narcissistic Mothers - Daughters of Narcissistic Mothers

This sounds more like another condition, which is often misdiagnosed as Aspergers; I know, as I was told I might have it at one stage, though I believe otherwise, as my symptoms relate better towards AS (perhaps I have both, if that's possible).

The condition is called associative disorder, which is infamous amongst children living in orphanages. It's caused when the parent/s, or primary carer, of the child is rarely present in their day to day life (such as two working parents; leaving you to fend for yourself often), or if a child is grossly neglected, or unloved (simply inexperienced, or bad parenting).

While it's not always the case, sometimes the reason for the gross neglect, is because the primary carer of the child has Narcissistic Personality Disorder (which is the obvious case in this story, as her kidnapper is obviously very self-obsessed). The end result is a child that doesn't receive a proper upbringing, due to gross neglect, and so often appears 'odd' in social circumstances, and is unable to bond with others normally (either being too withdrawn, or too friendly - even in high risk situations), as they do not understand what is appropriate.

I was able to relate extremely well with Rapunzel in this movie, as I too believe my mother is the same with me. If you're interested, take a look at this article about a common detrimental relationship between daughters, and their Narcissistic Mothers: Daughters of Narcissistic Mothers - Daughters of Narcissistic Mothers
This same condition was first examined in depth by Anna Terruwe and Conrad Baars. They first used the term "frustration neurosis" and eventually the term Deprivation Disorder was used. COnrad Baars usually referred to such persons as unaffirmed and said they had been deprived of the affirmation they needed. Unfortunately, the term "affirmation" and "unffirmed" were taken over by and mis-used by people who didn't understand them.Perhaps as a result, these terms were never really adopted by the professional community as a whole...however, the professional psychiatric/psychology community has examined and embraced the same basic ideas previously promoted by Baars and Terruwe.
Yes, there is often confusion between such persons and ASD persons. Of course, it's also possible for the same person to have both.

However...in this movie they make it clear that the villainess had been very involved in the life of Rapunzel, and had acted as a tender mother (even if she did have a secret agenda).

I think the movie makers were probably thinking of Rapunzel simply having a childlike personality, and of her having been isolated from all but one person for her entire life.

I think the movie

Last edited:
Every time I see her, I think Phoebe from Friends has AS. Sure, she is far more confident than most… but she's lived on the street. I don't think the creators were thinking in terms of neurological conditions anyway.

The Adam Sandler character in the film Punch drunk love. I definitely identify with him.

I've been able to really relate with Calvin from the comic books "Calvin and Hobbes". I personally feel that he is Aspergers because:

He has an imaginary friend.
Social difficulties at both school and home.
Has a huge vocabulary for his age.
A strange logic.

I had an obsession with Calvin and Hobbes in my younger years because, well, I felt that he could relate with how I felt (even though he is fictitious).

I've always thought that Fry from Futurama has more or less been depicted as being somewhere on the spectrum, but just in a roundabout way so that the writers never have to explicitly say it.

In the episode "The Day the Earth Stood Stupid", we learn that Fry lacks what is known as "The Delta Brainwave", a brainwave that is possessed by all human life, as well as robots and certain trees. The Nibblonians go on to explain to Leela that despite this, Fry has somehow managed to combine a series of other brainwaves into a working mind. There's a lot of other things that are taken into account as to what exactly causes Fry to be this way such as the events of the episode "Roswell that Ends Well" in which Fry unwittingly sleeps with his own Grandmother in the past, making him his own grandfather, but let's take a step back from the sci-fi workarounds at play here and think about this; How many of us aspies are viewed as not being "Normal" by NT's because we aren't wired up mentally in the same manner as them? How many of us still manage to function day to day despite this? Fry (In my eyes at least) is without doubt a highly functioning aspie.

Marla Hooch - "A League Of Their Own". Great at bat....less so great socializing.

Because of the time of night and how strained my brain feels at the moment I think I am going to stick with listing characters for now and some point tomorrow I will come back and give an explanation to why I see that fictional character having Aspergers/Autism/ADHD traits.

The first person I would like to mention is our beloved Willy Wonka, the Johnny Depp edition.

Dilbert from Dilbert.

Marvin from Marvin Marvin, nickelodeon.

Sherlock, BBC.

And Linus, from Peanuts.

Gary from Alphas... for sure.
I was going to say Gary too (just a few years too late)... but to be fair it was an intentional choice that his character was meant to have it. Still I really liked the performance (alot more than I would have suspected if one were to describe it)

This may be debatable but I think that Anne in Anne of Green Gables could have been Aspie. She was very dreamy and had a temper (the classic moment when she smashes her slate over Gilbert Blythe's head in school). In many ways she reminds me of myself. There is, however, her approach to society. She seems quite confident among others but then and again Asperger's affects people differently.

There is an autistic (ASD) character in the latest episode of "Perception" who is described as "very high functioning". It also apparently features a child prodigy who isn't (for some reason)

Last edited:
I've thought about bones too. Sometimes I think she is other times not. Her character was suppose to be loosely based on aspergerish traits but I don't beeline the writers ever intended her to be aspergers full out. I read that in an early article once.

Abby on NCIS I've thought about too. Maybe with her. Also on NCIS McGee he's structure and routine based. Not great with people and interaction but he's gotten better. And has weird food routines eg picking off the sprinkles on a donut instead of getting a non sprinkled. And also on NCIS - yes I watch this show too much - newbie Ellie bishop. For sure. She is awesome and quirky and not that great at socialness and playing nice with others.

Sheldon for sure I think anyways.

This may be debatable but I think that Anne in Anne of Green Gables could have been Aspie. She was very dreamy and had a temper (the classic moment when she smashes her slate over Gilbert Blythe's head in school). In many ways she reminds me of myself. There is, however, her approach to society. She seems quite confident among others but then and again Asperger's affects people differently.[/QUOTE
I've thought about bones too. Sometimes I think she is other times not. Her character was suppose to be loosely based on aspergerish traits but I don't beeline the writers ever intended her to be aspergers full out. I read that in an early article once.

Abby on NCIS I've thought about too. Maybe with her. Also on NCIS McGee he's structure and routine based. Not great with people and interaction but he's gotten better. And has weird food routines eg picking off the sprinkles on a donut instead of getting a non sprinkled. And also on NCIS - yes I watch this show too much - newbie Ellie bishop. For sure. She is awesome and quirky and not that great at socialness and playing nice with others.

Sheldon for sure I think anyways.
I kind of feel that Bones is only an imperfect, very imperfect portrayal of AS, if that. Like a character someone might create after having read one article about AS. So what you said about the writers's intentions sounds right.

New Threads

Top Bottom