• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Father's age a key factor in Autism

While I believe it was passed down from my grandfather (father's side) to my father and then my sister and I that theory
would not work in my case as my parents had me around 19-20yrs old.

In my case, my father was 40 but there are complicating factors: my older brother was an extremely premature birth. Even by today's standards babies that small typically die or are severely impaired. Back in the 50s, he had a 95% chance of dying! With me, my mother almost miscarried but I guess I hung on.

I did have one problem though my body was out pacing my blood supply in infancy but eventually balanced out.:spin:

My dad was in his 20's when I was born, so it definitely is not limited to older fathers. That's an interesting study, It does make sense, the older the person, the more cells would have replicated, and the more mutations there would be in the cells right? Clever.

Autism is a complex issue. Is it due to parents' age, parents' jobs, the living environment in general, or simply, some random thing that gets more coverage and awareness due to the power of the media, and doctors' increasing consciousness?

Btw my father is 37 and my Mom 38, when they gave birth to me. I was one of the first few babies given birth under the relaxation of the 'Two is Enough' birth control policy in Singapore, as my parents really sought out for a Son.

My mum was 39 and my dad 45, when I was born.
In my case it could make sense.

My dad was 21 and my mum was 23 when I was born, so I don't think that was a factor, but there is definitely a genetic component, as my mum, grandad and possibly 2 of my younger brothers all have either Asperger's or HFA.

New Threads

Top Bottom