• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Employer insurance does not cover ABA Therapy, what should I do now?

John McCain

Hello Everyone,

My son 25 months old, recently diagnosed with ASD. I live in Virginia (DC Metro) and we have Carefirst PPO Advantage insurance. We pay $1300/month for insurance for 3 people (Myself, Wife, and my Son) and my insurance told me they don't cover ABA therapy as my company comes under small business (45 employees) and Virginia does not mandate small group companies to include ABA in their policy. I was surprised and heartbroken after hearing this. I can get a new job in Big Company, but my question is "Does Virginia mandate big companies (>50 employees) to include ABA therapy in insurance?" I heard ABA is very expensive and I can not afford it. What are my options guys?
  1. I am thinking of sending him to County school in August
  2. Get a job in a Big company that covers ABA Therapy, again how can I be sure they cover ABA?
  3. I live in DC metro, I can move to Maryland part of Metro if Virginia does mandate ABA therapy for Big companies
Please advise guys.

Thanks
John

What are you hoping that ABA will help him with? I ask because there may be other options, and maybe your insurance would cover them.

You might consider contacting this entity which in theory may assist people like you given your insurer and insurance needs. Might be worth checking it out in case there are any legal caveats you are unaware of that might otherwise make this coverage possible under your existing plan. Or they may be able to counsel you on other alternatives in the event you absolutely aren't covered.

I'm originally from Fairfax myself. If you can afford to move to Maryland that may be your best bet.

http://www.littleleaves.org/insurance-support/

Last edited:
What are you hoping that ABA will help him with? I ask because there may be other options, and maybe your insurance would cover them.

My 4-year-old son (LFA) is in ABA, Speach therapy, OT therapy and school program from special needs

ABA does 10 x as much, for him as all the others put together

While I would not say ABA therapy cannot or has not helped others on the Spectrum, it did nothing and made things worse for our two Autistic childten. We realize such therapy may depend on the therapist and methods applied though.

Our oldest son, Aaron age 8, tried such at age four, and it was more like dragged out educational therapy taught far below his level and abilities, with him getting so bored he started having more behavioral issues.

They did not want to help with any behavioral issues. We wanted tips for sharing, taking turns, to stop him from running in stores, to have him not need things precisely for all things, to reduce sensory meltdowns, if possible, etc.

And for any other core issues, etc, they did not want to address that. Like I said it was them trying to teach him things educationally he already could do two years prior, with them lying after the testing saying he was at a much lower level to justify their large expenses and attempt to educate.

And the treatment was not individualized. Did not listen to parental input at all. They charged the insurance company $25,000 and that likely was the reason they focused on educational therapy, too. They wanted to teach something easy, or that knew how to teach and at a slow place. They were not at all interested directly in behavioral issues.

As for our other son, age six now, he is still nonverbal. He tried applied behavioral analysis therapy at age three, and they wanted to resort just to doing play therapy, things we were already doing at home, and which we knew the engagement focus, and specific steps to do there.

His behaviors got worse, as they put tons of toys in that room, instead of specific ones he liked, and he had sensory meltdown. Whether they do this on purpose, I do not know. They seemed clueless though about Autism, and just watched from the sideline analyzing the parents as we named, described, explained, compared objects, etc.

Our children had more meltdowns with such therapy. Occupational therapy was better. Speech therapy did nothing. Feeding therapy did nothing, but made matters worse, for our kids, too. Alternative therapies were ok. We since learned the importance of appreciating our children as they are, and with focus just on making them more comfortable. Of course for dangers, we find ways to address those.

Last edited:
While I would not say ABA therapy cannot or has not helped others on the Spectrum, it did nothing and made things worse for our two Autistic childten. We realize such therapy may depend on the instructor and methods applied though.

Our oldest son, Aaron age 8, tried such at age four, and it was more like dragged out educational therapy taught far below his level and abilities, with him getting so bored he started having more behavioral issues.

They did not want to help with any behavioral issues. We wanted tips for sharing, taking turns, to stop him from running in stores, to have him not need things precisely for all things, to reduce sensory meltdowns, if possible, etc.

And for any other core issues, etc, they did not want to address that. Like I said it was them trying to teach him things educationally he already could do two years prior, with them lying after the testing saying he was at a much lower level to justify their large expenses and attempt to educate.

And the treatment was not individualized. Did not listen to parental input at all. They charged the insurance company $25,000 and that likely was the reason they focused on educational therapy, too. They wanted to teach something easy, or that knew how to teach and at a slow place. They were not at all interested directly in behavioral issues.

As for our other son, age six now, he is still nonverbal. He tried applied behavioral analysis therapy at age three, and they wanted to resort just to doing play therapy, things we were already doing at home, and which we knew the engagement focus, and specific steps to do there.

His behaviors got worse, as they put tons of toys in that room, instead of specific ones he liked, and he had sensory meltdown. Whether they do this on purpose, I do not know. They seemed clueless though about Autism, and just watched from the sideline analyzing the parents as we named, described, explained, compared objects, etc.

Our children had more meltdowns with such therapy. Occupational therapy was better. Speech therapy did nothing. Feeding therapy did nothing, but made matters worse, for our kids, too. Alternative therapies were ok. We since learned the importance of appreciating our children as they are, and with focus just on making them more comfortable. Of course for dangers, we find ways to address those.

This is good to know and I had suspected, Earlier in the year I was dealing with some insurance issues with our sons ABA, I had thought about switching and I am glad I did not

This specific place has been so in tuned to our son. Almost all of his communication has been a result of this place, they have also been very open and my wife goes in and they involve her, They are always open to discussion on where we are and how progress is going and our thought on it.

I do imagine there is a lot of money in this industry as many put so much hope in to these therapies and as such, would be subject to the good and the bad

Today I am very grateful, But also Very sorry for your bad experience.

I've only had time to read the first page but I find this article very misleading

1 The reward system works, its the only thing that motivated my son, he honestly doesn't even care about the reward but he likes putting the stars up and getting a prize when he gets to 5

2 never have I seen any punishment for noncompliance

3 The article sounds like it equates working in things like eye contact and some stimming to child abuse ( the only stiming I've seen them work on are things that will interfere with his development there is always a reason ) And eye contact is very important I am eternally grateful to my father who pushed me to have eye contact as a child.

4 I've never seen them push my child to uncomfortable situations that he was very resistant to ever

I am sure there is good and bad out there maybe I found a good one but this article really is unrealistic as I see it

I am very glad I did not read it before I began because It really makes ABA sound awful and it's not a real picture

Most Autistic Communities that I'm a part of are strongly against ABA. It's important to listen to the people who are actually affected by a thing instead of focusing on how it benefits you personally. But that's all I will say about that...

I've only had time to read the first page but I find this article very misleading.

All they were trying to do was point out the bad things to avoid when choosing an ABA therapis.

I thought they stressed very clearly throughout the article that not all ABA is the same.....they explicitly said about how there are many types of ABA, and many different approaches used by ABA therapists.

They also acknowledged that everyone will have their own opinions on what counts as "good" ABA therapy and what counts as "bad" ABA therapy based on their views about how to raise children.

1 The reward system works, its the only thing that motivated my son, he honestly doesn't even care about the reward but he likes putting the stars up and getting a prize when he gets to 5

Nowhere do they say that any reward system doesn't work.

Also they talk about different types of reward systems, not just one.

They criticize taking away essential coping mechanisms to use them as rewards, and question/urge caution in using a child's favorite thing only in the context of therapy... this is very different to saying that these strategies don't work.

In that article, including on the first page, they try to make it really clear that there are many types of ABA therapy and not all of them will punish a child for non-compliance.

You said yourself in an earlier post:
I do imagine there is a lot of money in this industry as many put so much hope in to these therapies and as such, would be subject to the good and the bad

Both the good and the bad experiences of ABA need to be shared, so people know what kinds of ABA are out there and can make informed choices -- so they can do a good job of screening and choosing a therapist.

3 The article sounds like it equates working in things like eye contact and some stimming to child abuse ( the only stiming I've seen them work on are things that will interfere with his development there is always a reason ) And eye contact is very important I am eternally grateful to my father who pushed me to have eye contact as a child.

I completely disagree.

They talked about different kinds of stimming and encouratged parents to think about whether or not there is any good reason to get a child to stop stimming, and to remember that stimming is often a functional behavior that helps an autistic child to cope and to learn.

They urge parents to think about the child's experience of eye contact (like are you permanently traumatizing them? are you causing them extreme pain or extreme psychological distress?), and to question how necessary it is.

4 I've never seen them push my child to uncomfortable situations that he was very resistant to ever

That is awesome! :)

I am sure there is good and bad out there maybe I found a good one but this article really is unrealistic as I see it

Both the good and the bad experiences need to be shared, I think. Neither is more or less realistic.

I am very glad I did not read it before I began because It really makes ABA sound awful and it's not a real picture

I think it is a real picture. The authors of that article clearly support ABA, they just want parents to be able to protect their children from bad ABA therapists and bad types of ABA therapy.

Last edited:
You might consider contacting this entity which in theory may assist people like you given your insurer and insurance needs. Might be worth checking it out in case there are any legal caveats you are unaware of that might otherwise make this coverage possible under your existing plan. Or they may be able to counsel you on other alternatives in the event you absolutely aren't covered.

I'm originally from Fairfax myself. If you can afford to move to Maryland that may be your best bet.

http://www.littleleaves.org/insurance-support/

A bit extreme though innit? Moving to a different State just so you can get a certain insurance?

All they were trying to do was point out the bad things to avoid when choosing an ABA therapis.

I thought they stressed very clearly throughout the article that not all ABA is the same.....they explicitly said about how there are many types of ABA, and many different approaches used by ABA therapists.

They also acknowledged that everyone will have their own opinions on what counts as "good" ABA therapy and what counts as "bad" ABA therapy based on their views about how to raise children.

Nowhere do they say that any reward system doesn't work.

Also they talk about different types of reward systems, not just one.

They criticize taking away essential coping mechanisms to use them as rewards, and question/urge caution in using a child's favorite thing only in the context of therapy... this is very different to saying that these strategies don't work.

In that article, including on the first page, they try to make it really clear that there are many types of ABA therapy and not all of them will punish a child for non-compliance.

You said yourself in an earlier post:

Both the good and the bad experiences of ABA need to be shared, so people know what kinds of ABA are out there and can make informed choices -- so they can do a good job of screening and choosing a therapist.

I completely disagree.

They talked about different kinds of stimming and encouratged parents to think about whether or not there is any good reason to get a child to stop stimming, and to remember that stimming is often a functional behavior that helps an autistic child to cope and to learn.

They urge parents to think about the child's experience of eye contact (like are you permanently traumatizing them? are you causing them extreme pain or extreme psychological distress?), and to question how necessary it is.

That is awesome! :)

Both the good and the bad experiences need to be shared, I think. Neither is more or less realistic.

I think it is a real picture. The authors of that article clearly support ABA, they just want parents to be able to protect their children from bad ABA therapists and bad types of ABA therapy.

Ok I just got an opportunity to read the second page and there are some good suggestions there, And makes more sense now.

But the first page sounded the tone was very strong, As i said in the first post at that time I only had a chance to read the first page and it sounded like it was talking about all ABA therapy but with the suggestions on the second-page sounds better, Also I took the part about where it said would you reward good behaviour and punish non compliant behavior with a neurotypical child, this one hit me ,because yes that is most people parent but the tone was as if it was among the worst child abuse that part bothered me

I do realize it is good and bad but the first page sounded like it was towards all ABA but now that I see the second page and the suggestion I now realize this is not what it is saying

Also, I may be off on my interpretation on stimming, I guess I don't really mean the typical stuff like when I was younger and tapped my leg or hands or like my sons hand flapping type stuff, I meant more the things that can cause harm like his need to try and run off when out in public or refusal to sit down when doing lesson this ABA has been able to help tremendously with I don't know if that counts as stimming

As far as eye contact, yes if it is that hard I think you would see an extream emotional response and I would agree with you, However with me or my son (4-year-old LFA) it is uncomfortable but beatable, He does much with it, The biggest issue with him is he is a danger to run off out in public having him look when called can be the difference between life and death, But as far as my 8 year old (Aspergers) and myself (Aspergers) we are much more capable and it can be the difference later in life for him in society in jobs and his future it is a big deal

However on the other hand if it is that painful for one then you have to just work with what you got I and I understand the resistance

But the other thing is I look back at my life and honestly I am in a quandy about my 8 year old as he is starting therapy now, I look back at my life and no one understood Aspergers back then, When I grew up I was pushed, Honestly If I were allowed, my limit would be so low, but because I was pushed past my comfort zone all the life I limit is much higher, I worry about my 8-year-old in therapy and I am not able to push the way my father did me, I worry about his future Because he can let his fear hold him back on everything

The safety stuff is one thing, but being concerned about one's future over things like stimming and eye contact should push you to want to change other people's perception of autism, not to change autistic people. Eye contact is not necessary for communication and forcing it is for the comfort of NT people, not the betterment of autistic people. Likewise with stimming. ABA and other such things sends a message that Autism is something that needs to be cured, or barring that, hidden from the experience of neurotypical folks. That's not fair.

The safety stuff is one thing, but being concerned about one's future over things like stimming and eye contact should push you to want to change other people's perception of autism, not to change autistic people. Eye contact is not necessary for communication and forcing it is for the comfort of NT people, not the betterment of autistic people. Likewise with stimming. ABA and other such things sends a message that Autism is something that needs to be cured, or barring that, hidden from the experience of neurotypical folks. That's not fair.

Hey listen Life isn't fair, I had many my share of hard Knox, I've been homeless I've been hungry I also overcame a great many things

Things like Eye contact when its possible to overcome even if its uncomfortable can be very helpful in life, Also My 8-year-old several years ago had a problem laughing when things get serious, I have helped him overcome that. it is not even uncomfortable anymore but it took time

This stuff can be of great value later in life,

Had I not overcame many of my fears I would not have a business, a wife, and the life that I do,

I do agree many things are not overcomable, but if we never push our lines we will never know what we are capable of and may never reach our potential.

I do agree when it's not overcome then we have to deal with it, I have my issues that are not overcomable too.

I also agree there are some part a=of my Aspergers that has been a great asset as well.

Yes, accommodations can be made in certain area'a like in school but not every areana .

I couldn't agree with this more. And I would add that the more that it is accepted that we accommodate the preferences of others in controlling and dictating autistic behaviours, the more we are encouraging others to label those of us who can't be compliant, the greater the stigmatisation of autistic people, and the less opportunity there is for others to come to understand how we function....and why.

If a tiny proportion of the money spent on subjecting autistic children to ABA had been spent on societal outreach and education, I suspect we'd be in a far better position now regarding how well autism was understood in society as a whole, and how difference could be more widely accepted.

I've only had time to read the first page but I find this article very misleading

I am glad ABA worked for your situation. I suspect there will be positive and negative stories from both sides, as it depends on many things: the ability and any biases or open mindedness of the therapist, the one with Autism and if they are receptive to it or can be helped by that approach or not, and the specific therapy tried. It is good to see both points of view, as that can cause healthy debate, and/or fine tuning of things, if need..

I have no problems with proper rewards from time to time, regardless if a child has Autism or not, when a child does something great or outside of their comfort zone. But the ABA therapist, in our case, did that entirely wrong. She was rewarding our first child repetitively for answering correctly or doing simple educational questions or activities.

Without asking us parents first, she assumed two things there. First, she assumed candy was the reward. We never told her Aaron loved candy. He hates candy. In fact, food was likely seen as more as a punishment to him, as at that time our child refused most all foods, unless it was a few selects foods and presented in a very specific precise way.

Secondly, we never told that therapist educational things were hard for him, or not fun for him. Maybe many NTs can hate learning. Aaron does not hate learning. Why reward Aaron for something he already really loves, or if it comes very easy to him. That makes no sense. That's like him telling himself, "I better not do this educational stuff, as not only will the therapist give me candy, but she is suggesting it is something I am supposed to hate, or that I must have difficulty with.

So, what does Aaron do when she shows him flashcards of simple words and basic pictures. On the third therapy day, he eventually laughs, falls to the floor and starts throwing things, after he gets sick of answering everything right and being rewarded every fifth correct answer, etc for those sessions. My wife and I look at each other and I whisper to her, "What the heck is she doing. He can read books, learned thousands of flashcards at home from every category imagineable more than a year prior. This is not helping."

So, the therapist decides to play a model me game, one of the few times she attempts to do anything behavioral related. She tells Aaron to do the same thing she does, like tapping his head with one hand, after she does such with her hand to her head, and making a scrunched up face, after she does the same. And after she drops an item on the floor, Aaron models. Either she did not know Aaron could develop new routines by seeing such, or she did not care, but it would seem that she could have picked better things for him to mimick.

I guess the purpose of that game was to see if he could follow instructions, but he already had followed all in the two days of testing before aba therapy began, which was 60-90/minutes for each of those testing sessions where he answered every question and did every action request successfully. And yet they said he was behaviorally at a 1 to 18 month old for most things, to justify long term therapy, which was not true, as he was only about a year delayed from our rearsearch of milestones. He seemed closer to 2.5 - 3 years old developmentally then.

I guess my concern is not that some are fine with ABA or have been helped by it, as that is great for those persons, but my concern is not only as mentioned, but the assumption from the traditional medical community seems to be that ABA is the most proper type of treatment, and they refuse to consider other viewpoints. How can they suggest or state ABA is the answer, as ABA can mean different things to different therapists and professionals. They try to make parents feel guilty if they do not want such when they recommend such, even after explaining failures from trying that, yet they (general doctors) as professionals cannot define ABA when we asked them specifically what it entailed. They told us to ask the therapist. Then as soon as you show up, they have plans already made, without parental input.

Part of our problem also is usual protocols a part of the medical community, ones where they often refuse to look at things on a case by case basis. Remember as there is no cure, and no known specific causes, there should be no widespread treatment recommended. And the assumption often is the child or adult with such condition wants to be like the others in those behavioral ways, or needs that, or is able to tolerate that treatment or able to be helped in the way the therapists desires.

Whenever we mentioned our views that we did not necessarily agree with certain treatments recommended, until we learned what it entailed and what would be asked of our children to do, their attitude was 'What do you want us to do then?" How about giving us specific factual information on all the therapies, not just their usual recommendation, and give caregivers an unbiased view of what to expect from each, and the pros and cons of each. Nothing is more irritating than medical professionals recommending something without looking at each situation separately, or with them not standing behind what they recommend or knowing much about what they recommend, or them not being thorough.

I feel it is the caregivers and person with Autism that should feel no pressure to do what the majority is doing, as each case will be different, as each situation, one with condition, and experiences will be different. No two cases will be alike. Doctors need to be open minded about any treatment or no treatment when Autism is involved, as lots of factors are involved that these professionals often have no clue about from not having lived minute by minute and daily in that situation.

Last edited:
I am glad ABA worked for your situation. I suspect there will be positive and negative stories from both sides, as it depends on many things: the ability and any biases or open mindedness of the therapist, the one with Autism and if they are receptive to it or can be helped by that approach or not, and the specific therapy tried. It is good to see both points of view, as that can cause healthy debate, and/or fine tuning of things, if need..

I have no problems with proper rewards from time to time, regardless if a child has Autism or not, when a child does something great or outside of their comfort zone. But the ABA therapist, in our case, did that entirely wrong. She was rewarding our first child repetitively for answering correctly or doing simple educational questions or activities.

Without asking us parents first, she assumed two things there. First, she assumed candy was the reward. We never told her Aaron loved candy. He hates candy. In fact, food was likely seen as more as a punishment to him, as at that time our child refused most all foods, unless it was a few selects foods and presented in a very specific precise way.

Secondly, we never told that therapist educational things were hard for him, or not fun for him. Maybe many NTs can hate learning. Aaron does not hate learning. Why reward Aaron for something he already really loves, or if it comes very easy to him. That makes no sense. That's like him telling himself, "I better not do this educational stuff, as not only will the therapist give me candy, but she is suggesting it is something I am supposed to hate, or that I must have difficulty with.

So, what does Aaron do when she shows him flashcards of simple words and basic pictures. On the third therapy day, he eventually laughs, falls to the floor and starts throwing things, after he gets sick of answering everything right and being rewarded every fifth correct answer, etc for those sessions. My wife and I look at each other and I whisper to her, "What the heck is she doing. He can read books, learned thousands of flashcards at home from every category imagineable more than a year prior. This is not helping."

So, the therapist decides to play a model me game, one of the few times she attempts to do anything behavioral related. She tells Aaron to do the same thing she does, like tapping his head with one hand, after she does such with her hand to her head, and making a scrunched up face, after she does the same. And after she drops an item on the floor, Aaron models. Either she did not know Aaron could develop new routines by seeing such, or she did not care, but it would seem that she could have picked better things for him to mimick.

I guess the purpose of that game was to see if he could follow instructions, but he already had followed all in the two days of testing before aba therapy began, which was 60-90/minutes for each of those testing sessions where he answered every question and did every action request successfully. And yet they said he was behaviorally at a 1 to 18 month old for most things, to justify long term therapy, which was not true, as he was only about a year delayed from our rearsearch of milestones. He seemed closer to 2.5 - 3 years old developmentally then.

I guess my concern is not that some are fine with ABA or have been helped by it, as that is great for those persons, but my concern is not only as mentioned, but the assumption from the traditional medical community seems to be that ABA is the most proper type of treatment, and they refuse to consider other viewpoints. How can they suggest or state ABA is the answer, as ABA can mean different things to different therapists and professionals. They try to make parents feel guilty if they do not want such when they recommend such, even after explaining failures from trying that, yet they (general doctors) as professionals cannot define ABA when we asked them specifically what it entailed. They told us to ask the therapist. Then as soon as you show up, they have plans already made, without parental input.

Part of our problem also is usual protocols a part of the medical community, ones where they often refuse to look at things on a case by case basis. Remember as there is no cure, and no known specific causes, there should be no widespread treatment recommended. And the assumption often is the child or adult with such condition wants to be like the others in those behavioral ways, or needs that, or is able to tolerate that treatment or able to be helped in the way the therapists desires.

Whenever we mentioned our views that we did not necessarily agree with certain treatments recommended, until we learned what it entailed and what would be asked of our children to do, their attitude was 'What do you want us to do then?" How about giving us specific factual information on all the therapies, not just their usual recommendation, and give caregivers an unbiased view of what to expect from each, and the pros and cons of each. Nothing is more irritating than medical professionals recommending something without looking at each situation separately, or with them not standing behind what they recommend or knowing much about what they recommend, or them not being thorough.

I feel it is the caregivers and person with Autism that should feel no pressure to do what the majority is doing, as each case will be different, as each situation, one with condition, and experiences will be different. No two cases will be alike. Doctors need to be open minded about any treatment or no treatment when Autism is involved, as lots of factors are involved that these professionals often have no clue about from not having lived minute by minute and daily in that situation.

I understand, I didn't know there was such a difference between places, My Wife and I are very involved with our child, I for one have had some bad experiences with therapists, I didn't come into it in a place of trust so I would be immune to guilt when it comes to a therapist , But I understand those who have not had my experience to be affected by that, If I had seen that type of stuff I would not be apart of it

However I have a very good experience where I am at, My 4-year-old said I love you to me tonight for the first time, most of his speech came directly from ABA, So I have been passionate about it but now I see this is not always the case

I am a bit surprised that so many here feel it's not right to improve ourselves with things like eye contact and such when possible, though, I am trying to wrap my head around it and I just can't

A bit extreme though innit? Moving to a different State just so you can get a certain insurance?

Not necessarily if it's about your child.

Over the years I've met many parents who would do just about anything for their child if they're able.

1. I live in DC metro, I can move to Maryland part of Metro if Virginia does mandate ABA therapy for Big companies

Last edited:
I am a bit surprised that so many here feel it's not right to improve ourselves with things like eye contact and such when possible, though, I am trying to wrap my head around it and I just can't

The emphasis is mine. I suspect that 'so many here' don't see compliance as 'improvement'.

And the reason I do not is that it is all well and good perhaps for diagnosed children, but what of undiagnosed individuals of all ages? We don't have the ABA option. Perhaps we see ABA rather differently simply because if others on the spectrum can be 'trained' to be behaviorally compliant within the NT society, then we stand out as non-compliant and problematic to them even more.

Just a thought.

New Threads

Top Bottom