• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do you talk to animals?

For pet owners: Do you talk to your pet?

• Total voters
Ha I did that when I had a cat too. He would rub on me and meow and be all happy because he thought I was praising him.
Our words mean nothing to to an animal, only our feelings.

I talk to animals all the time. We have three family bunnies, and I have a pair of parakeets as roommates. The bunnies are incredibly social and make all sorts of noises: honks, hisses, coos, snuffles, and mumbles (ironic as our black buck's name is Mr. Mumbles). My parakeets, Glacier (male) and Fluttershy (female), are highly intelligent and often look at me when I'm speaking, even expressing displeasure when I make a loud noise or don't acknowledge them. I also talk to dogs when I'm out walking, with their owners doing that "you're a crazy person, aren't you?" smile. I also talked to the horses that I worked with at a stable near my house. I also sang to them when they were starting to get nervous about a moose nearby or just general startling things. Horses are my absolute favorite, and they tend to appreciate a quiet personality that understands their prey mindsets. Most of their owners thought that I was somewhat crazy singing to a horse, but it made me and the animals happy. I guess my point is, there are just some things I don't care if people think I'm crazy for doing. Life is way to short for caring about what others think about you when you have meaningful conversations with animals. At least, animals don't judge. If I'm crazy, at least I am never boring! XD

I talk to our cats all the time, as does the rest of my family. They really respond to tone of voice, recognize a few words, and talk back all the time (mostly to me). They love to be spoken to in a sweet singsong, and will react by acting silly and cute, and talking back sweetly. It's fun.

I talk to my pet dog Colby. I talk to him like he is a human, and I pretend that he talks back. Kinda like talking to myself, but my poor dog has to listen to me :D

I talk to Ivy, my dog, plus any other creature I come across except humans. I only talk to them if I need to for some reason unless it is one of my children. I talk to machinery also, though. Especially my car, Skylark. We've been through a lot together. I always tell the microwave and the dryer "Thank You." I talk to the computer at home, Dell, and the one at work (finally have a part-time job) plus the two big monitors there.

I talk to my cats, one of them (who ironically I think is deaf and only responding to seeing my lips move) meows back at me, the other one just ignores me :)

Oh, I talk to my doggie as though she's my best friend! She may not reply verbally, but she's an excellent listener and I know she will always love and support me even when everyone else in my life has failed me. :)

I talk to my dog. She's so smart it's as though she talks back with her eyes and the ways she looks at you. She knows certain words like rides and treats.

Yes I love talking to the animals. I say "hi guys" etc. when I'm hanging my head out the kitchen window. Sometimes it's longer. I actually can't remember what I say. (They know me crows are smart) I talk to the beautiful deer that roam the neighborhood. I talk to the ducks at the creek. The different species of birds They're all very receptive to me. I love the crows - such jokesters. My husband ddoesn't mind if I say a few words but beyond that he hates it

It bugs the heck out of me that I can't correct my font etc. Also I can't see the screen I'm writing on. Only my phone's keyboard. Maybe one day I will get a macbook...

Anyway, I'm trying to let it go. There are far greater problems in this world than my faulty spelling and punctuation.

I've tried meowing to cats, but I generally address them in French. Not quite sure how I got into that habit.

Yes, I talk to everything at times (oh wonderful desk, you keep my keyboard and mouse at just the right height, thank you so much for being in my service.)
I'd do all kinds of voices and languages to speak to the cats. I have fake meowing conversations. Sometimes when they start bugging me for food as soon as i come home from the store, I just meow back. It seems to confuse them a little at times, which makes me wonder what I'm actually saying. (and if i'm not getting too lonely :) )

New Threads

Top Bottom