• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do you talk to animals?

Sparticus

Jewish man kissing a Catholic woman....
Lately when no human is looking, I talk to squirrels [I make a squirrel noise and often they stop to look at me] and birds. Have been experimenting with bird sounds and gotten a few down. Besides it's fun to "talk" to a Mocking bird! They answer your call! I've been known to talk to dogs and cats...and several people have called me an Animal Whisperer.

What about you? Moderators I hope I put this in the right section. I have an obsession with nature and some of the critters. Love to watch a school of fish in a pond...and reflect on them plus life.

Sparticus

Today learned the sound Doves make. But need to practice it; there's lots of doves in my area. Sometimes when I call out to a bird who is close to me in a tree, about to dee dee [fly away] he/she stops, looks at me...and stays for awhile. They might climb up some branches getting ready to sky [fly] but many stop...hiding behind the tree trunk and sometimes with head bent to an angle, they eye me...

Makes me feel connected to the Universe! Mitakuye Oyasin

rollerskate

ร๏гค ɭย๓เภค
V.I.P Member
I talk to all kinds of animals I encounter, but I don't mimic their sounds. Instead I talk to them in a friendly, soothing kind of way intended to show I'm no threat, and comment on what they're doing, what they may be thinking of me, what I think of them, etc. More than once people have thought I'm absolutely nuts for doing it, especially when it's a lizard or something small like that.

meff

I've always mimicked animals, particularly cats and dogs. When I was a kid I would even bark just for fun, to the point that I'd fool others into thinking there was an actual dog around. I like to copy cats even now.
I talk to all kinds of animals I encounter, but I don't mimic their sounds. Instead I talk to them in a friendly, soothing kind of way intended to show I'm no threat, and comment on what they're doing, what they may be thinking of me, what I think of them, etc. More than once people have thought I'm absolutely nuts for doing it, especially when it's a lizard or something small like that.
I do this too. I also have a habit of "narrating" animals, kind of like captioning what they're doing or how they seem to be reacting to a situation or a person, in the way I think they might say it. It's weird, I guess I watched too many talking animal movies growing up. :p I could never get a good read on what people seem to think of that kind of thing though I don't notice too many others doing it. I do it so automatically that sometimes I get embarrassed.

Blade_Runner

Guardian of the Princess of the Enchanted Forest
I love talking to animals and yes I do it a lot. Many a deep discussion I've had with Ros and she's been there for me through thick and thin. Of course, she never answers but I can read her eyes like a book so I reply anyway.

My family have often got caught out when I "meow" to our cat; thinking it's an intruder cat. I can do a pretty convincing bark too and love seeing our dogs' reactions. To sum it up, I'm rather feral :)

Sev

I often talk to my cat as if she was simply another human being. She's one of the few creatures out there that actually listens to what I have to say, not sure about the comprehension problem though. :)

Tarragon

V.I.P Member
They talk to me, so it's rude not to talk back....

I live by a canal and feed a bunch of ducks, and we've got to know each other very well. I do quack at them, and there is definitely a duckie vocabulary they use. I've no problem doing this - its more than just sounds, its body language and eye contact too! I have always communicated with animals better (far better!) than humans. Dogs and cats (Im more of a dog person), horses, cows (I love talking to cows!), the list goes on!

Funny how I can look a duck in the eye and quack, yet people are a mystery to me! :)

tlc

The Mackinac Bridge and U.P. is my happy place.
They talk to me, so it's rude not to talk back....

I live by a canal and feed a bunch of ducks, and we've got to know each other very well. I do quack at them, and there is definitely a duckie vocabulary they use. I've no problem doing this - its more than just sounds, its body language and eye contact too! I have always communicated with animals better (far better!) than humans. Dogs and cats (Im more of a dog person), horses, cows (I love talking to cows!), the list goes on!

Funny how I can look a duck in the eye and quack, yet people are a mystery to me! :)

The last girl I dated did that. We both liked taking our kids to feed ducks. First time I thought it was funny, she just started quacking like crazy. But it worked, they came over. So later on my daughter and I were following these ducks up and down the town shoreline, at different docks and parks trying to feed them and they just kept swimming away. Finally after 2 hours and darkness approaching we thought of her and started quacking and sure enough they came right over.

Joel I

I talk to animals as much as I talk to humans probably, maybe more. I talk to most as if they can comprehend english often trying to reassure them. A few I try to copy and talk in their language, emu took a while to master. With my young border collie pup I've taken to saying what I think he would say. Everyone has always thought I'm weird & I've been in many arguments over there term people. When I say people I am talking about humans and not humans. I always said I have a human family & the Important Family which consists of my children most of them are pythons. Speaking of snakes I have always talked to snakes and they're deaf, no ears.

Andygriffith3351

I talk to my horse, and I have always talked to animals I ussally like them better than people because they made more sense to me. They tend to be friendly as , ong as you are they wont stab you in the back and their love is unconditional.

wyverary

wyv (he/him)
V.I.P Member
I talk to my dog as if we're carrying on conversation. When it comes to wild animals, though, most of them I have nothing nice to say, as the ones I encounter most frequently are pests--deer who eat our flowers, squirrels who eat all the birdseed; it's usually a volley of curses for them. :p

I talk to the insects a lot, though. Those conversations tend to be a lot more existential.

alexa roper

For some reason, I feel like I have this special connection with most animals. I just feel more animal-like than human-like. I meow at all cats, talk to squirrels and rabbits (I won't like sit there and have a conversation, but I'll try to get their attention and make friends). When I go to the zoo, I pretty much go nuts with talking to the animals. For some reason I just think that they can understand me, which I know in reality they can't. Once, when I was at the zoo, I made this really deep connection with an orangutan. He and I were just sitting there staring at each other with only the glass to seperate us. We looked into each other's eyes and I just felt like we understood each other. He began like kissing the glass and putting his hands up as I told him that I was going to leave, which was extremely difficult.

So yeah, I probably sound extremely crazy right now, but hey, oh well :)

Peace

V.I.P Member
Lately when no human is looking, I talk to squirrels [I make a squirrel noise and often they stop to look at me] and birds. Have been experimenting with bird sounds and gotten a few down. Besides it's fun to "talk" to a Mocking bird! They answer your call! I've been known to talk to dogs and cats...and several people have called me an Animal Whisperer.

What about you? Moderators I hope I put this in the right section. I have an obsession with nature and some of the critters. Love to watch a school of fish in a pond...and reflect on them plus life.
Yes. I seem to have a connection with them that even I don't understand. Birds land on me. Peoples shy cats come and rub all over me. Dogs always want to come by me and even chipmunks watch me and run over my feet. I do not go out of my way for animals. We have a mutual respect for each other. I don't bother them and for the most part, they don't bother me either. Many people comment about this, and my kids were always amazed.

Judge

V.I.P Member
Yes. I seem to have a connection with them that even I don't understand.

But the animals themselves understand. Quite often I think we as a species totally underestimate them. In some circumstances animals just "seem to know". I like that.

Last edited:

I am that which I am

I also tend to talk to animals, dogs, cats, ducks, seagulls, birds, horses, squirrels, mice! (at work) anything. I love my mice and take as good care of them as I can. I try to hold back and not bark at the neighbours annoying little dog that barks at you whenever you are outside. They might thing I am nuts! Which of course I am, but that should be no matter to them. They also tend to like me as I remain calm and respect them and their space. I once had a bee land on me, explore the area and then fly off elsewhere. Unlike most people I did not jump and try to hit it. I just let it do it's thing.

Sparticus

Today I saw a large male squirrel who ran over a fence into a tree; when I called out to him [squirrel noises] he stopped between 2 tree trunks and stayed there as I talked to him. I felt so elated...later on I talked to a few Starlings [birds.]

tlc

The Mackinac Bridge and U.P. is my happy place.
Sometimes I say mean things to my dog, but in a happy voice so that she wags her tail.

Ha I did that when I had a cat too. He would rub on me and meow and be all happy because he thought I was praising him.

New Threads

Top Bottom