• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do You Ever Forget To Reply Out Loud?

Vanilla

Your friendly neighbourhood hedgehog
V.I.P Member
I've been meaning to bring this up for some time now, though I constantly forget to (which I suppose is appropriate for this thread) :p

Do you find that being too inside your head, or too lost in thought, can sometimes lead to you replying to someone inside your own head, rather than replying to the person? Whether spoken, or written; I know I've been guilty of both before.

I probably mentioned it somewhere already.... sometimes I have a half of conversation inside my head and then start speaking out loud. A person I talk to may become confused because they only hear a part of what they're supposed to hear. I'm aware of it now, but I still do from time to time.

I probably mentioned it somewhere already.... sometimes I have a half of conversation inside my head and then start speaking out loud. A person I talk to may become confused because they only hear a part of what they're supposed to hear. I'm aware of it now, but I still do from time to time.
Haha, I've been guilty of that too :p

If I have ever done this I have not been aware of it but it might explain why sometimes people seem to ask me the same question more than once...

People who claim I just say random things don't realise that I am just answering the question "what are you thinking about?". It has also happened that I've read out loud in response to "what are you reading?".

If what I'm thinking seems relevant to an earlier conversation – occasionally years earlier – I'll just say it, fearing I'll forget it if I take the time to update the context.

And, not so much any more, to the originally question. When I was younger, thinking an answer would often feel the same as saying it. Nowadays I have to check whether my mouth and throat also feel like I have said it.

I've been meaning to bring this up for some time now, though I constantly forget to (which I suppose is appropriate for this thread) :p

Do you find that being too inside your head, or too lost in thought, can sometimes lead to you replying to someone inside your own head, rather than replying to the person? Whether spoken, or written; I know I've been guilty of both before.
I can't count the times that my wife has asked me who I was talking to, because I was alone. I never thought about it before, but I do this a lot. For the most part, I live in world that is my mind.

I really don't know for sure, but my friend/business partner is constantly reprimanding me for not telling him things. He'll say, "I asked you thus-n-such, and you never answered me." I say, "Well, of course I answered you. I said, 'blah, blah, blah.'" Then we get into a debate about whether I told him what I was thinking or not. I never really considered that maybe I thought I answered but never did. I just thought he was being dodgy about it.

DH and I both do this. We INSIST we've said out loud what we were thinking, but the other never heard a thing. Happens a lot with plans on the calendar, too... "You've got something going on this weekend? I didn't know that." "I told you, AND it's on the calendar." Or... "Did you pick up the milk on your way home?" "What milk?"

When I was younger, thinking an answer would often feel the same as saying it. Nowadays I have to check whether my mouth and throat also feel like I have said it.

So this brings up a question I've been meaning to ask:

What is the experience like when you "talk" to yourself?

I have several layers of "talking" to myself...

...there's the one where I talk out loud to myself (and get funny looks from people).

...there's the one where I feel like I'm not really talking unless my throat and the back of my tongue are moving, even though I'm not moving my lips or making any sound (this is what makes my throat so tight and sore, but I can't make myself stop...I've tried...AND this undermines your check of whether it feels like you've said it...BUT it works really well when I'm writing something because it helps me get the grammar and spelling correct without significant errors because I see the sentence structure as I "say" the words and just type what I'm saying "out loud" in my head).

...there's the one where I manage to think in words in my head with no muscle movement (and that's when my thoughts tend to be moving so fast I just can't keep up and I get that flighty feeling).

...there's the layer where I think in pictures in my head instead of in words

I can actually have conversations between the different layers, like there's the one speaking in my throat that converses with the pictures in my head. This sounds really crazy, lol...just wondering if anyone else has different layers of "thinking" like this...

Hoping this isn't too OT from the OP. (and on that note...does anyone else "translate" acronyms in your head when you're reading what people write, or do you just "say" the letters?)

Oh yes. There are so many times when I have said nothing when I was expected to say something- anything! :eek:

When you say "forget to reply," do you mean direct questions, or just conversations in general? With me, the latter happens quite often; sometimes I just feel there's not much to be said, or the person has already made the point and I don't feel like a reply is necessary, and I have a hard time coming up with "filler."

Part of this is surely due to AS, but I am also on certain medications that can cause mild cognitive impairment. (No anti-meds rants here, please...it's my choice and better than the alternative.) While my brain is fine, it can be a little slow on the uptake when it comes to verbalizing what I am thinking.

When you say "forget to reply," do you mean direct questions, or just conversations in general? With me, the latter happens quite often; sometimes I just feel there's not much to be said, or the person has already made the point and I don't feel like a reply is necessary, and I have a hard time coming up with "filler."

Part of this is surely due to AS, but I am also on certain medications that can cause mild cognitive impairment. (No anti-meds rants here, please...it's my choice and better than the alternative.) While my brain is fine, it can be a little slow on the uptake when it comes to verbalizing what I am thinking.
Anything really. If someone expects an answer, and you internalise the response. I don't usually forget to answer a direct question; it would be more that I might take longer to respond, as I'm thinking the answer quietly in my own mind first.

Quite often.

People leave messages on my phone and I don't call back, I'll forget to answer emails or texts, but worse still I can totally ignore a question directed at me in conversation if I am distracted momentarily.

Do you ever not understand the question right then, but a long time later (hours, days, months), the question suddenly resonates and you have a driving urge to voice your answer?

Do you ever not understand the question right then, but a long time later (hours, days, months), the question suddenly resonates and you have a driving urge to voice your answer?
Just today, someone responded to my question in a joking manner, though I was so absorbed in what I was doing, that it wasn't until they had left the room that I had picked up on the sarcasm :p

Yes i do this a lot! At work especially, but then again i have the most 'social' interaction at work. Just the other day this happened when i was buying groceries after work, and the cashier was the guy i kind of like. I replied in my head and forgot to say it aloud and covered for it by telling him the items i was price matching.

It's not that I don't reply loud it's just that I don't reply at all sometimes. For example when someone says: sunny day huh? Heat's striking today! What am I supposed to answer? I know I should say sth like ooh yeah I'm about to melt. But they already know so there's no need.

sometimes I just feel there's not much to be said, or the person has already made the point and I don't feel like a reply is necessary, and I have a hard time coming up with "filler."

It's not that I don't reply loud it's just that I don't reply at all sometimes. For example when someone says: sunny day huh? Heat's striking today! What am I supposed to answer? I know I should say sth like ooh yeah I'm about to melt. But they already know so there's no need.

I tend to get a combination of these on oral exams. Obviously the examiners already know anything I can tell them about the subject, and if they give me keywords I'm like, "oh, yeah, there's that".

Additionally, they stare at me. Expectantly. I have no idea how NT exam takers put up with that.

Haha so much! Both with forgetting to reply aloud and starting a mental conversation aloud half way through so people don't have a clue what I'm talking about. The second one people tend to find funny, but unfortunately the first one has made me seem rather rude on occasion, it really annoys my sister in particular ( everything about me annoys my sister in particular:sweatsmile:)

New Threads

Top Bottom