• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do You Ever Forget To Reply Out Loud?

I've been meaning to bring this up for some time now, though I constantly forget to (which I suppose is appropriate for this thread) :p

Do you find that being too inside your head, or too lost in thought, can sometimes lead to you replying to someone inside your own head, rather than replying to the person? Whether spoken, or written; I know I've been guilty of both before.
People will be asking me a question and I will flat out not almost ignore them. They are asking me but I am giving them no answer. It is like I am in my own head so focused on anything it is over stimulation.

I've been meaning to bring this up for some time now, though I constantly forget to (which I suppose is appropriate for this thread) :p

Do you find that being too inside your head, or too lost in thought, can sometimes lead to you replying to someone inside your own head, rather than replying to the person? Whether spoken, or written; I know I've been guilty of both before.

I've gotten into arguments with my boyfriend before because I swear I have told him something or answered him and he says I didn't. I've also been told I write too fast (which attributes to my sloppy hand writing) and i'll think i've written everything out when in reality the sentence i've written is only a fragment of the thought I had. I'll go back and read it and not understand what I was attempting to write.

I don't respond if what they say is a statement or a retorical question; but then I get are you listening you haven't responded. I get cross because if they're telling me facts why do I need to respond. Apparently I also do not respond to question as my partner will reply you answered in your head!

I had this a lot during therapy, where my thoughts went really fast and I ended up with several interpretations of a question asked. Then I blanked out, because I didn't know which answer was the correct one anymore ('there are no wrong answers' isn't really a comfort).

I do sometimes carry on conversations that I had with someone out of the blue. Like I did with a friend recently, we talked about superhero movies or comics, and both couldn't remember Marvel vs ...? A month later, when we had a bit of small talk going, I said 'It's DC'. Which was confusing apparently.

Not so much spoke but occasionally but I do it all the time in writing. I will think a reply to someone then wonder why thy haven't replied only to find I have not replied

This thread is amazing! It explains a lot of the frustrations and difficulties I have when trying to have conversations with my husband. He'll tell me that I left the vital information out of the conversation or that I'm not listening when honestly, I'm trying...or I don't realise that he hasn't finished speaking yet.
My hearing is fine but sometimes my brain doesn't translate the sound into meaning. It might miss a word or two. Once, it scrambled a whole sentence.
I've only recently realised that I am most likely an Aspie (it makes so much sense!) and reading posts such as this which illustrate my own experiences so beautifully only serve to make me increasingly convinced!

Sometimes I feel like I have an internal mental queue, where I can hear sounds happening around me but I need to finish my thought/task and then I will ask the person speaking to repeat themselves. Those who have been around me long enough know what this looks like and will stop talking instead of wasting their time telling me twice :p

No, I don't forget to reply out loud.
I am more likely to forget part of the chain of
what I was thinking about/intending to say.

I generally suppose that most of the
sequence of my thoughts is the way to
respond in a conversation. That way the
other person has an idea how my thoughts
developed.

i can't say i forget.. but between my own speech problems (stuttering, "stop" sounds.. just can't get out certain sounds without far too much trouble) and a "cloud of judgement" as i call it..... i generally decide not to. which, i know is terrible... it just makes things so difficult

I respond just fine, then usually end up pissed off because people try to read between the lines with me when there is no between the lines with me. They accuse me of saying things I didn't say, or saying more than I said.

Example:

I said: "He is unreliable for feeding the animals if we go on vacation."

Other person is mad and says: :Stop ragging on him, you never think he can do anything right."

At that point, I' pissed off, I refuse to stand for being accused of saying what I did not say PERIOD, by anyone and, I tell you exactly what I said and meant, which is the same thing, until you get it through your thick head that I did not say what you accused me of saying. I will also tell you what a numbskull you are for not knowing how to listen and hearing what you expect to hear rather than what I actually said.

that's one of those ASD/NT problems i notice far too often. ASD people are literal and i have yet to figure out how to rectify it.. you said what you meant (and i read it as just that, nothing into it).. but a lot of NT people ignore the actual words and just get the "feel" of the meaning and throw their own implications onto it. it's part of the problem with everybody needing to be politically correct. I'm white, if i tell somebody "i hate that guy, he's an idiot" and the guy is white, no problem.. either i'm being rude or they agree the guy is an idiot. if the guy isn't white (black, asian, hispanic, purple, green, homosexual, if the guy is actually a girl.. whatever) then it turns into this big hate crime thing because of just listening to the words where i'm insulting 1 specific person for something specific to their actions.. they think i'm insulting everybody in the world that is similar to them in a superficial way. i also live in a generally crazy area with an equally crazy family and i'm poor so there's no leaving the area anytime soon if ever

i've had a LOT of flak over it throughout my life because.. quite frankly.. i don't like people. what i consider "common sense" i've come to learn is not common and is a sense that many people seem to lack. and it drives me nuts when something so simple in my eyes is traumatically difficult for them. i'm at the point where if i go food shopping (i try not to) i do the best i can to bag my own stuff because i can bet every cent i own that they will either throw the eggs on the bottom of the cart, drop a bottle of soda, or put something heavy on or in the bag with the bread ruining the whole loaf. it has nothing to do with anything somebody could see about them and everything to do with, what i consider, is a lack of common sense. and they get mad when i stand there fixing their bagging job if i can't do it myself. but i'm flatout sick of having crushed bread and broken eggs (admittedly i like flat soda, but that's not the point.. most people don't like flat soda)

No, I don't forget to respond out loud. Sometimes I do stop talking while I'm thinking about how to say something, and then forget to start again. But I think also a lot of times people will respond to a question, and it's the asker who forgets that the response happened.

I many times forget to respond out loud, or I only respond with half of my answer (usually the latter half of my response). Many times friends and family will give me strange looks based on something that I have said. Usually, when I think back on it, my answers that I give them are based on a related conversational line of thinking based on whatever they said or asked, but the end portion is all I will say and it isn't fully relevant to the actual conversation or question. They usually ask me what I'm talking about and if I remember the full line of thinking that led me to that point, I will tell them all of it (if I don't remember all of it, I don't answer them and shrug my shoulders), at which time they tell me I didn't need to go into so much detail. Other times, I will think that have informed someone of something (for instance, letting my parents know what I'm planning to do on a given weekend so they know not to call me or anything), and it turns out I never told anyone about my plans. Then the argument arises of whether I told them about my plans or not.

I get that with my husband. I will actually remember telling him something but maybe I only thought it at him because he swears that I never said it.
My imagination is so vivid I am sometimes not sure if my memories are always real!

New Threads

Top Bottom