• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do you dislike or fear any specific animal?

I have a huge dislike for maggotts after seeing a dead cat covered in them on a local field when I was young. I love cats and dogs and have always had both or either.

Last edited:
I've been terrified of butterflies since I was four. I was at a butterfly show and one with a wing span the size of my face flew up really close to my eyes and ever since then it takes some effort not to scream every time I see a butterfly.

I hate centipedes, scorpions, maggots, jellyfish, octopuses and poisonous fish such as stonefish. I am not too crazy about eels either
I don't actually hate dogs but I hate like they way they leap up at you or growl (or smell for that matter).

I'm terrified of fish and other underwater creatures. I have been for a long time and even small ones can set me off. The only thing I find scarier than live fish are dead fish. They give me nightmares.

I am completely terrified of Snakes, especially Anacondas and Cobras, ever since I watched the 1994 Survivor Series (WWE) and saw the late Macho Man Randy Savage get bitten by a King Cobra in the middle of the Ring (obviously the Snake had been defanged before but I didn't know that at the time), daft thing is though, I seem to be drawn to watching Snake related Wildlife videos on YouTube.

I've been terrified of butterflies since I was four. I was at a butterfly show and one with a wing span the size of my face flew up really close to my eyes and ever since then it takes some effort not to scream every time I see a butterfly.

Its not a well known fact but Butterflies can be pretty aggressive when they are in a pissy mood.

:D

I always respect peoples fear of an animal, but never their hatred of it. I suppose I do have a tendency to anthromorphizize* a bit too much, but if that intensifies my humanity that's a good thing. I do however feel guilt over insects I killed when I was a child, testing parameters I suppose. *I spell it with an s.-)
I think anthropomorphization is an outmoded way of thinking. Animals have very real human emotions and reason in much the same way. Take a cat for example. Cats feel saddness, happiness, fear, and comfort much in the same way a human does. Cats problem solve and reason. I once had a cat that observed me turning on a water faucet and she figured out through trial and error how to achieve the same.

Female cats often bring live prey back for their large human kittens in an effort to teach them hunting and self-sufficiency skills. The dumb animal philosophy is simply done and over.

I
I think anthropomorphization is an outmoded way of thinking. Animals have very real human emotions and reason in much the same way. Take a cat for example. Cats feel saddness, happiness, fear, and comfort much in the same way a human does. Cats problem solve and reason. I once had a cat that observed me turning on a water faucet and she figured out through trial and error how to achieve the same.

Female cats often bring live prey back for their large human kittens in an effort to teach them hunting and self-sufficiency skills. The dumb animal philosophy is simply done and over.
I did not imply they were automata devoid of every emotion unless I give them feelings. So animals feel resentment and are prone to personality disorders? Nobody implied they were "dumb" as you put it, they live by instinct primarily and that does make them different. No, you don't anthromorphizize, you simply romanticize.

I
I did not imply they were automata devoid of every emotion unless I give them feelings. So animals feel resentment and are prone to personality disorders? Nobody implied they were "dumb" as you put it, they live by instinct primarily and that does make them different. No, you don't anthromorphizize, you simply romanticize.
I wasn't arguing with you rather offering an opinion of my own. I was operating under the assumption that Anthropmorphization is the belief that placing human emotions and feelings on animals is incorrect. I do not romanticize, I and others can observe the emotions in an animals.

I wasn't arguing with you rather offering an opinion of my own. I was operating under the assumption that Anthropmorphization is the belief that placing human emotions and feelings on animals is incorrect. I do not romanticize, I and others can observe the emotions in an animals.
You imply a complexity that does not exist. The next thing someone is going to post is that dogs will soon be growing thumbs.

You imply a complexity that does not exist. The next thing someone is going to post is that dogs will soon be growing thumbs.
How then do you explain my cat learning how to turn a water faucet on? She must have observed me doing the action and then mimicking my own. She also had to problem solve in order to turn a nob when she clearly lacks the dexterity that an opposable thumb would provide.

How then do you explain my cat learning how to turn a water faucet on? She must have observed me doing the action and then mimicking my own. She also had to problem solve in order to turn a nob when she clearly lacks the dexterity that an opposable thumb would provide.
That was called sarcasm. Someone will point out in the next three minutes that that is the lowest form of wit. Thank you in advance. PS. In America you tend to have what we call an "elbow tap". Show me the cat that can turn a "screw tap" and I will show you the Einstein of cats. You do not need a moderator.

Last edited:
I used to be really scared of dogs. I'm better now, but I'm still a little tentative around them, especially when they jump up on me.

I hate black widows, they are scary looking and will make you feel like crap for a week if one bites you.

Hello. I never thought much of this, but the one animal that I hate, not necessary fear, is mayflies. They are ugly, horrible. They don't have mouths. They come to the surface to breed and die in three days. They land on anything they can find including you. Hate them so much

e1df7aa4a0cec69fe3f9d3ebeeed4b5a.jpg

I'm not crazy about spiders, although I've sort of been gradually desensitizing myself towards them by learning more about them and all the different species....some of the scientific names they have are amazing. I also like looking at cute jumping spider memes online and at funny and cute cartoon spiders in movies/books (like Rosie from A Bug's Life, Nails from Cool World, Charlotte from Charlotte's Web, and Miss Spider). I still feel uncomfortable having one in the same proximity as me, but I no longer have a "panic" response to them.

New Threads

Top Bottom