• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do women really need ‘gentlemen’?

AGXStarseed

(Not written by me. The following article is from 2019 and has two women - Aileen O'Reilly and Suzanne Harrington - with differing opinions as they give their views regarding how 'gentlemen' fit into modern society)

Who should foot the bill for dinner on Valentine’s night? The gentleman, of course, says Aileen O’Reilly.

Ladies, make no mistake. It is not a matter of ‘needing’ gentlemen. It’s far more a matter of having enough self-respect to know we deserve them.

Yes, I expect doors to be held open for me. Yes, I expect the man to at least offer to pay for dinner. Yes, I expect to be offered a seat if I’m standing on a crowded bus or train and, yes, I expect my bags to be carried, if they’re heavy, and I make absolutely no apology for it.

Why? Because I was brought up being told I was worth it; anything less than this is boorish behaviour.

980129_1_articleinline_bn-902217_3344e6bd7bf44070a9ab669a063f7b8b.jpg

Aileen O'Reilly. Picture: Dave Meehan

My father is a gentleman. It is imprinted in him like writing on a stick of rock. I grew up watching him carry bags, offer lifts at any time of the day or night, open doors, give up his seat, and lift heavy objects.

I saw him wait at the foot of the stairs, gazing in awe as my mum descended in a haze of perfume and in her beautiful dresses, when they were going out to a dinner dance.

I equally saw him gaze in awe at her skills with finance and her decision to return to work outside the home when all three of us children were going through college.

Even as a child, I knew, without a shadow of a doubt, they were equals and, therefore, I naturally expected similar treatment for myself.

My mum is a very strong woman; the word ‘spitfire’ has been used. She passed it on to my sister and myself.

It’s just one of the things my dad adores about her. We have a brother and, yes, he is a gentleman, too.

When I spoke to my dad about writing this article, he looked bemused and shook his head: “Being a gentleman isn’t about being patronising; it’s simply about respect and acknowledging that women deserve to be respected.”

I remember, when I was 17 and eating my heart out over some boy at school, it was my dad who sat me down for a ‘chat’ (my mum had already tried, but telling me “you’re a feminist until it comes to Mr X” hadn’t so much ruffled my feathers as ignited them and my claws were refusing to retract).

To this day, I remember that conversation as the scene from The Wizard of Oz where the Good Witch Glinda tells Dorothy that she has had the power all along to get herself home and the camera pans down from her stunned (and confused) face to the sparkly red shoes on her feet.

My dad talked to me candidly about his teenage years and early 20s, when he was going to dances and chasing girls. Then, he spoke the line that has stayed with me ever since.

Men can think what they like and they generally will, but it is the woman who holds the whip hand.

My mum told me that men could be terribly stupid when it came to women, but hearing my dad reveal that men were essentially powerless made me sit up and take note — this was the inside track!

From the time I was old enough to hold my own in an argument, I’ve sat down with my dad and had discussions on everything from politics and news and books and film to sex and religion and we have each argued our sides, whilst simultaneously learning something new from each other.

I was never patronised or told about glass ceilings.

Acknowledging the relevance of the gentleman in the 21st century is acknowledging every woman’s right to be respected, which, in turn, brings out the best in every man. How can that ever be considered obsolete?

It is as relevant now as it always should have been.

Men and women need each other apart from just physically (this is by no means meant to negate same-sex relationships); we compliment each other in so many ways as friends, colleagues, lovers, partners and, yes, adversaries, too.

Our femininity is a complex power that should not be traded in for fear that it is misconstrued as a weakness.

We’re capable of doing anything we set our minds to, plus we’re built to give birth and that’s the equivalent of breaking 20 bones at the one time — of course we’re not physically inferior!

I certainly do not need a man to assume I will pay for dinner or have a door close in my face to make me feel equal.

I know I am any man’s equal, therefore I see these courtesies for what they are… I see them as respect.

A guy wants to fork out for a romantic dinner? No problem, says Suzanne Harrington – once she can pay next time

If a man offered me a seat on the bus or the train, it would make me wonder just exactly how old and fat I was looking; it would totally freak me out.

I’m too old to be pregnant; too young to be old. Why would I need a seat?

Look at what I’m wearing: lycra and trainers; I’ve just come from hot yoga or dog-walking. I don’t need a seat. Thanks, though.

Maybe offer it to an elderly man or woman, or a parent with small children. I’m fine.

980132_1_articleinline_bn-902217_a3054a2f552f489586ff384ea9cd047f.jpg

Suzanne Harrington

I don’t want a gentleman. I want a human. A lovely human, with good manners, but not the kind of manners that modify themselves according to the genitalia of their recipient. No.

Hold the door for me, and I will hold the door for you; it depends on who is going through the door first. Ordinary politeness, going both ways.

You don’t need to carry my bag — I possess my very own excellent shoulders — although I would take your coat, if I were cold. Equally, if you were cold, I’d offer you mine. Or my scarf, if my coat didn’t fit.

Kindness is all, flowing in both directions. Good manners is noticing other people’s needs and comfort, and being attentive to them; gender irrelevant.

I mistrust a man with shiny manners who thinks he is making you feel like he is treating you well by leaping to open doors, ostentatiously pulling out chairs, insisting on paying for stuff; in my experience, such actions are at best ersatz, at worst controlling.

Put your money away, little lady. Like a black-and-white film from an era when men owned everything and women were obliged to be grateful, while pretending to be a little bit frail and useless.

No, for me, the modern gentleman is a man who shows good manners to all, from the waitress who took his dinner order to the homeless guy outside the restaurant.

He asks how you are, before talking about himself. He doesn’t bang on endlessly about his stuff every time you meet — he realises you are not an audience.

He uses actual words and sentences while WhatsApping you, and doesn’t keep you waiting too long for a response.

Nor does he upload photos of you all over his social media without checking with you, first, that you are ok to be tagged.

He notices your new hair/shoes/piercing, and is generous with compliments, as you are with him.

Cooks you dinner, without going all Gordon Ramsay about it. Stands behind you at gigs, so you don’t get elbowed in the kidneys.

Basic stuff. Kindness, consideration, thoughtfulness.

More of a turn on than a million doors opened. Door-opening is fine, but ultimately not terribly meaningful.

The thing about traditional gentleman manners is that they serve little purpose, other than to reinforce the man-made divide between humans.

They require men to behave differently towards women, and for women to somehow expect to be treated differently.

Yes, great, buy me a drink, then graciously accept the next drink from me; thank you for dinner; next time it’s my turn.

Goddammit, it’s not rocket science.

The mark of a true gent is not some learned dance around doors and drinks bills.

It’s a cup of tea when you’re knackered; it’s noticing boring tasks and doing them unbidden; it’s sharing the emotional labour.

It’s being charming with your friends and family; it’s making an effort with your children, and it’s making you feel comfortable and relaxed.

That is what a gentleman is. The rest is just filler.

Source: Do women really need ‘gentlemen’?

The concept of Gentleman is historically too tied up with wealth to really make any sense of it, or assign any real value of it. What's left is a miss-mash of tropes/stereotypes looking like a frayed King Lear robe.

I think similar to the second person, there is basic respect, politeness, fairness, decency, etc. It's need/situational based not by gender.

vqw2T9e.jpg

The concep of one person needing other person and having clear expectations of how the other person may behave and what they must feel and what they must think... so the first person may be happy is disgusting to me.

It may be the norm for NTs, and maybe one of the reasons why people is so unhappy married and cheat so often.

I dont need my wife. I can work, and clean, and do everything alone. I LOVE her, which is a totally different thing than NEED.

I am now curious of how do you all see this matter. :)

Think some of this is outdated. However, l want my handsome friend to take me out once in awhile, because l can stare at him. When he cooks for me, l can't see him. He is too busy doing something. That's why restaurants will never go out of business. It catches our desired one and sits them squarely in front of us so we can enjoy the manly view. Lol. In my particular case, the spectrum handsome guy.

I just want to be equals with a partner, whether male or female. I don’t want to be on a pedestal, I don’t want to be treated like a princess or a queen. I want an adult relationship not hindered by pride and ego.

Anyone that has an issue with me taking initiative or me paying is not a good prospective partner for me.

I'm also in agreement with the second part - that it's just about being courteous in general and helping out and being friendly where you can, regardless of your relation (or lack thereof), gender, sex, age, or any other attribute.

That article seems so old fashioned. My only thoughts are:
Be Kind.
Value People.
(added) I don't think women need Gentlemen. They need a kind, attentive, and supportive partner.

Towards women I have always treated them as equals. The problem came as I was very afraid of disrespecting them. And with poor social skills I was even afraid of approaching them lest they would be insulted by my attention.

My spouse and I started out as friends and partners and things only got better from there. We complement each other. I still enjoy planning dates for us.

Last edited:
When l came into money, l told my ex to take a month off from work. He appreciated that even though he was the breadwinner. Plus a month off is better then dinner.lol

It depends on the woman. I was raised to be a gentleman. Where I live most of us have a form of common courtesy. Holding doors, nods of acknowledgement, or raised fingers as you drive past or a hand up.

We don't need gentlemen, and men don't need ladies. It's just NT masking. It can be a social norm in certain circles.

Women don't "need" gentlemen but in an evolutionary sense, until very recently offspring were more likely to survive if the male is willing to pour lots of resources into the relationship. The woman is more likely to keep the male on hand if she reciprocates in some way. The man dealing with generating food/security/income while the female produces offspring and manages the household long predates even ancient civilization. Specialization of labor.

Large-scale independence in women is a very recent occurrence. It is a product of technology, a decline in the importance of child-rearing, and modern affluence. Old habits die extremely slowly. It may even be on a more fundamental instinctive level, which means the tradition may fade but will never die out.

If you want that sort of gender-scripted traditional relationship, that's fine. If you want the be a woman who runs with the wolves, that's fine too. What I hear instead is a lot of "My way is the right way" and a distinct lack of respect for diversity. That's just ego speaking and a load of intellectual tribalism. You take away a woman's agency when you tell her she must not take on the role she wants - even if it is one you don't care for. (Same for men too.)

People with similar sets of role expectations will sort themselves out.

Let me be your ruler (ruler)
You can call me queen bee
And baby, I'll rule (I'll rule, I'll rule, I'll rule)
Let me live that fantasy
We're bigger than we ever dreamed
And I'm in love with being queen

Lorde - Royals

Last edited:
I find Valentine's Day to be nothing more than a commercial construct to sell stuff. A romantic dinner on a completely random day is more meaningful, but then I hate all holidays in general because all of them are artificial constructs that have become flash points for some entity to sell stuff that no one really needs even if they think they do.

That first woman's sense of entitlement is repulsive. It is cold, calculated and any man who could respond to that is not a man that I would like to meet. If a woman is interested in a man, she doesn't need to be so demanding. Before I was married, I took great pleasure in paying for a meal with others. Now that I am, we tend to split a bill, but on occasion one or the other of us will pick up the entire tab. That is what I see as sane and healthy and there can be romance in that which carries much more weight with me.

As I have never fit a particular mold, I cannot expect others to fit easily into my world view. To demand of others what you are not prepared to do yourself is nothing more than selfish. I admit to being selfish on occasion, but that is human! I am aware of it and attempt to keep it under control. What bothers me about that first section of the article is that I sense a very selfish and self-centered mind set, much too rigid too ever be attractive. I could never be friends with a woman like that.

I don’t think being a gentleman ever had anything to do with showing respect to women, as the author of the first article seems to think. It was about the appearance of respect - so that the cultures and societies women lived in could continue to use and disrespect them via extremely limiting gender roles. It was about manipulation. Be really nice to women so that they don’t realize they’re being screwed every day of their lives.

As women have gained more freedom and independence, “gentlemen” have become more scarce, thank goodness.

It's a little strange, it used to be normal to be nice to women because they deserved it and guys wanted to treat them well and show respect. But now everything is so messed up that I don't think anyone knows what is going on. I always thought it lifted women up, not pushed them down. I can at least honestly say I didn't treat women well to fake respect and trick them and push them down. Now I don't know what the right thing to do is. It sounds like guys should just ignore women and show no respect so they don't manipulate women. The world has changed so much so fast. I think it's sad, the way it is now guys can't really do mcuh for women because someone always finds something negative about it. So what are we supposed to do, how do we show we care and respect them. A small gesture like opening a door can be treated like something very negative now. It wasn't supposed to be negative.

Agreed - it feels like one of those "Damned if you do, Damned if you don't" scenarios.

I am not into some conservative thinking where a true man is strong, silent, cannot show pain, must take care of her in financial and other ways according to culture norms, and must treat a woman on some pedestal. I do not feel this way because I see men and women as equals, and not one gender as weaker or stronger. Yes, there can be differences, but both women and men should expect to be treated how they treat others. If a woman or man was crass, egotistic, vain, selfish and rude, you better bet I would not reward that behavior by being very friendly back or like a gentleman to her in all those first article stated ways, despite me being naturally polite and respectful, and preferring to be that way to all.

Being too passive, pleasing and rigid to all in our actions, behaviors and patterns will cause many of our own needs to not be met, and we can get used and abused in that process, enabling those others to not be their best in life, too . And being too selfish, vain, demanding and needy is not the answer either to achieving happiness. I try to find an equal balance of being nice and friendly especially to those who share my same values, and to those who see men and women as equals. Too often genders are trying to compete with each other, and they want to show the other who is weaker, stronger, more deserving, or more harming. Those persons need to focus on bettering themselves, and not changing others.

Sure we are equal but we are not the same, we are very different. And as far as strength goes, do you know many women who can deadlift 350 pounds? That's one type of strenght were we are very different, nature made it that way. I think men should treat women with respect, respecting someone is not the same as thinking they are less or weaker. It will be interesting to see what happens in the future, people are hellbent on treating women worse to make it equal. I don't get it.

What the heck does lifting 350 pounds have to do with anything about that article? I see strength in all forms. I see strength and weakness in all persons. It does not require a physically strong woman to open a door. Respect needs to be earned by all. Treating a woman any better than a man not only insults many guys, suggesting they are less deserving, or must act in certain ways, but it insults many women who want to be seen as equals, instead of some dainty, helpless person, which fosters abuse. I am more into liberal thinking. I am not into conservative, archaic values.

A romantic dinner on a completely random day is more meaningful,
I'll second that! When we were first married our work hours were such that I would be home earlier in the day and I enjoyed preparing some surprise meals. We didn't have much money, but I enjoyed being creative, spicing things up with things like; shui mai, chili rellenos, cevice, cioppino, among other adventures. I enjoy seducing my spouse with cooking.

New Threads

Top Bottom