• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do women really need ‘gentlemen’?

That's so nice to hear :) My faith in the world is restored, it's ok to give flowers, lift things and hold doors. I have always liked to do things like that but I read things that made me doubt it.
Being kind and thoughtful and I think the word is "suave" is never a bad thing :) Thank you for being like that.

Don't doubt yourself.

Last edited:
REMINDER

For faith based, religious comments, please use the Religion area.

For political commentary, please use the Politics Discussion area.

Further replies to this thread should be directed toward the topic:
"Do women really need 'gentlemen'?"

I definitely expect my partner to do the heavy lifting (if he is stronger - as then it is easier for him) and I expect him to notice when I struggle and then to help me. All those things I would do for him too if I knew he needed or enjoyed something of course.
Not just heavy lifting. My spouse is deathly afraid of power cutting tools, but she has ambitions for projects that need them. She has good ideas and I happily work away to see them executed, whether it is rebuilding a table apron, modifying an entertainment center, making a headboard, or putting up Wainscotting and milling the chair rail myself. She knows my passion for paleontology which she allows me the freedom to pursue.

We make a great team and, honestly, I love her all the more for it.

That is super nice. I try to dress the way my guy likes. That seems to win points. Lol. Men get spoiled.
Not just men. I am up hours before my spouse, so I frequently treat her to breakfast in bed. Her favorite is cheese blintzes with tart cherry sauce that I whip up, and two bacon strips. As Jimmy Buffet put it in fruitcakes:
"But the right word at the right time
May get me a little hug
That's the difference between lightning
And a harmless lightnin' bug"

So it is a good excuse to rejoin her in bed, and I am happy with all the hugs I can get.

Last edited:
Large-scale independence in women is a very recent occurrence. It is a product of technology, a decline in the importance of child-rearing, and modern affluence. Old habits die extremely slowly. It may even be on a more fundamental instinctive level, which means the tradition may fade but will never die out.
Ever hear of coverture? It is the legal status of a married woman, considered to be under her husband's protection and authority. It has not died completely. Coverture is why women weren’t regularly allowed on juries until the 1960s, and marital rape wasn’t a crime until the 1980s. I abhor treating women and children as chattel, property.

Not just men. I am up hours before my spouse, so I frequently treat her to breakfast in bed. Her favorite is cheese blintzes with tart cherry sauce that I whip up, and two bacon strips. As Jimmy Buffet put it in fruitcakes:
"But the right word at the right time
May get me a little hug
That's the difference between lightning
And a harmless lightnin' bug"

So it is a good excuse to rejoin her in bed, and I am happy with all the hugs I can get.

I love hugs. I ambush this handsome guy when he let's me for a hug. I also love to hold his hand. He is more open about that. Sometimes he can't deal with closeness. I think he gets claustrophobic because he is autistic or has aspergers. When he smiles, his entire face lights up. I finally heard some emotion in his voice. That made me feel like our time was always important to him. I never knew because he is a quiet one.

I love hugs. I ambush this handsome guy when he let's me for a hug. I also love to hold his hand. He is more open about that. Sometimes he can't deal with closeness. I think he gets claustrophobic because he is autistic or has aspergers. When he smiles, his entire face lights up. I finally heard some emotion in his voice. That made me feel like our time was always important to him. I never knew because he is a quiet one.
We show emotions so easily when we don't even know we are expressing anything. That makes me a bad liar. Being a friend first and having shared experiences in an intense 4 days right after just meeting my future spouse ripped apart any fear of closeness. As I have related, I enjoyed being vulnerable, letting somebody inside my physical and emotional boundaries. That changed me.

Well, I'm sure a gentle man is better than one who is abusive or violent.

"I mistrust a man with..."

Well, I mistrust a woman with obnoxiously loud dyed hair.

Ed

Well, I'm sure a gentle man is better than one who is abusive or violent.

"I mistrust a man with..."

Ed

Yeah, I've learned that women with hair dyed a "bright/neon" colour and/or with their heads half-shaven are generally best avoided.

As a man, I think it would be nice if women sometimes need or want a man. Because if they don't, men will just wander the earth aimlessly with no sense of purpose. :) You'll see men walk into fences like zombies, not knowing what to do. Or maybe it's just me, but it's nice to be needed or wanted once in a while. It gives us a reason to get out of bed in the morning.

Last edited:
It may be the norm for NTs
God no. At least not in modern days anyways. This article is just cringe. I mean, I'm sure plenty of NT people might agree with one of the perspectives in this article, but the number is probably not going to exceed half of the population?

Can you prove every conservative thinks like that?

Conservative people tend to think conservative, which means to keep some old ways of thinking and behaviours and not to rush into new tendences.

And people who are not conservative will be more happy about changing the old ways to get whatever it comes.

So saying that conservative people tend to behave more like the old days is nearly a definition
God no. At least not in modern days anyways. This article is just cringe. I mean, I'm sure plenty of NT people might agree with one of the perspectives in this article, but the number is probably not going to exceed half of the population?

Hope so, in Mexico there is still a lot of gender roles.

Im worried, my wife asked my oppinion about dying her hair in a more colour fantasy way, and I loved the idea!

Now I am wondering if I should distrust her...:rolleyes::eek::confused:

Are there any colour guide to know what women are plotting when they dye their hair? :p

Hope so, in Mexico there is still a lot of gender roles.
Ah, yes. It's the same where I live right now. A lot of expectations on gender roles (or the lack thereof) depends on the culture and place. Thus why I said probably not more than half, but it's also not possible to poll the entire 7 billion people on planet Earth. I was in a liberal place in college and a lot of my classmates didn't care about gender roles. This article sounds exaggerated to me and doesn't sound very authentic.

I missed out on the context about hair color, but as a female I would say dying my hair doesn't mean anymore than just experimenting with hair color. Of course this is different for each person, but I often wonder how I would look if I got a crazy hair cut or neon hair colors or whatever. I haven't done that only because of social conventions and the potential damage to my hair.

Ah, yes. It's the same where I live right now. A lot of expectations on gender roles (or the lack thereof) depends on the culture and place. Thus why I said probably not more than half, but it's also not possible to poll the entire 7 billion people on planet Earth. I was in a liberal place in college and a lot of my classmates didn't care about gender roles. This article sounds exaggerated to me and doesn't sound very authentic.

I missed out on the context about hair color, but as a female I would say dying my hair doesn't mean anymore than just experimenting with hair color. Of course this is different for each person, but I often wonder how I would look if I got a crazy hair cut or neon hair colors or whatever. I haven't done that only because of social conventions and the potential damage to my hair.

Oh, the colour thing was a sarcastic joke about this previous post:

Ed

Just for the fun. When I use sarcasm or joke, I try to put a lot of emoticons to indicate that I am not being serious.

New Threads

Top Bottom