• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do Aspies like other Aspies

Since I'm not interested in other people's private affairs I don't like social people, whether they are diagnosed with an ASD or not, who ramble on and on about others. I think it was Bernard Rimland who coined the term People--Person as opposed to Things--Person. I do not get along with the former.
Furthermore, temper plays a significant role since I can't stand people who make a lot of action, that's too stressful. And of course common interests or lack thereof.

I think we can't make a general rule. It would be racist behavior like saying ''i can get along only with white people''. Not all NT's are the same and not all aspies are the same. Personally i get along better with aspies in general. But there was an aspie guy i hated so much and there were NT's i was in very good terms with. My boyfriend is an aspie and in general he understands me way more than my NT exes but sometimes we have misunderstandings too. You cannot be in perfect harmony with everyone and always. My opinion would be: have an open mind, form an opinion for every person individually and do what feels best for you.

I will say that I find it incredibly refreshing to "get" people on certain levels so easily here, where otherwise I'm usually at odds with NTs. I definitely feel more comfortable and more at ease communicating with my own kind.

... It would be racist behavior like saying ''i can get along only with white people''. ...

The utterance "I can get along only with white people" may be based on experiences, past or actual ones , therefore it is not necessarily racist behavior.

It is fallacy still. There isn't scientific proof supporting the theory of specific personality traits being present only in white people.

It is fallacy still. There isn't scientific proof supporting the theory of specific personality traits being present only in white people.

There isn't scientific proof that every dog you encounter during your life will try to attack and bite you, but if that has happened in the past, maybe even repeatedly, chances are those bad experiences will influence your present and future behavior. How could learning from experiences be fallacy?

Because as a vet student i can assure you the chances to be bitten all of a sudden by a dog are slim. Indeed you are very right that learning from bad experiences is not generally considered fallacy. But don't forget that phobias for example can be formed from one bad experience and that makes them neither logical, nor valid, like the belief that since one dog bit me when i was a child, all dogs are bad and therefore i avoid them.

Maja Toudal, who acts neurotypical, used to have a video claiming that aspies don't like other aspies. But it was made when she had black hair, spoke in a montonous tone, and was blunt. She since changed her hair colour to blonde (closer to her natural hair colour) and now speaks in a friednlier, smilier manner.
That video, and all others have since been deleted or set to private, and she appears not to like them, so think twice before embedding or even linking to any if you can find any.

I like most Aspies that I've met, but a couple I don't get along with. Additionally, I often have a hard time relating to other Aspies. My interests are very different from most of theirs, and they seem so much more outgoing and uninhibited than me.

I do not know if Aspies like each other. I live in a relatively low population area and I have not met a Aspie that I know of. Other than my youngest son. I like him, but he is my son. It would be nice to interact with someone my age, who thinks like I do.

There isn't scientific proof that every dog you encounter during your life will try to attack and bite you, but if that has happened in the past, maybe even repeatedly, chances are those bad experiences will influence your present and future behavior. How could learning from experiences be fallacy?
If, on the basis of those experiences, you form false beliefs, that is a fallacy.
Fear is not a fallacy, the emotion of fear, based on past experiences is not a fallacy. But false beliefs, based on those experiences, are fallacious.

I think that aspies are just like any other person, in that I may get on well with them really well, or they may irritate me. I think that some typical aspie behaviour may well irritate me, if, for example, I have a rigid opinion about something and another aspie who I'm talking to has an different and opposing rigid opinion to me, then we'll just irritate each other. Or if an aspie has a special interest that I don't like or am not interested in and keeps talking about it, or if they keep repeating themselves, talk a lot and tire me, then I'll be overwhelmed and want to avoid that person. I may not get on as well with a person who overwhelms me, dominates or irritates me with their behaviour, but that doesn't make them a bad person and they are probably not doing it on purpose, and I may annoy them with my behaviour in equal measure without my being aware of it... but if I know that they have AS, I can understand the behaviour, it still might annoy me, but know it's not on purpose and I don't judge.

I think that some typical aspie behaviour may well irritate me, if, for example, I have a rigid opinion about something and another aspie who I'm talking to has an different and opposing rigid opinion to me, then we'll just irritate each other.

That happened over on a forum called asperclick.

Or if an aspie has a special interest that I don't like or am not interested in and keeps talking about it, or if they keep repeating themselves, talk a lot and tire me, then I'll be overwhelmed and want to avoid that person.

As happened to me regarding an aspie female vlogger from Orillia, Ontratio, Canada who is really into makeup.

That happened over on a forum called asperclick.

As happened to me regarding an aspie female vlogger from Orillia, Ontratio, Canada who is really into makeup.
That can happen just about anywhere, but it happens a lot on Asperclick because that site isn't as strictly moderated as other similar forums, especially the debates section, so such irritations and arguments between members can spring up easily. This is a general thing that happens, I wasn't referring to you or any specific member.

Yes, it happens between me and my brother because his special interest is fox hunting, which I loathe and completely disagree with.

That can happen just about anywhere, but it happens a lot on Asperclick because that site isn't as strictly moderated as other similar forums, especially the debates section, so such irritations and arguments between members can spring up easily. This is a general thing that happens, I wasn't referring to you or any specific member.

Also, because there isn't, as far as I know, any posters there as well spoken and precise as Maja Toudal, and she would know things about music that no one there, including Willow would know, especially given that she has recorded in a studio and released one album so far.
But asperclick is still more stictly moderated than the big bad YouTube, so much less work for people like Maja if it were more stictly moderated, she had to enable contact lock due to crazy amounts of messages.

Also, because there isn't, as far as I know, any posters there as well spoken and precise as Maja Toudal, and she would know things about music that no one there, including Willow would know, especially given that she has recorded in a studio and released one album so far.
But asperclick is still more stictly moderated than the big bad YouTube, so much less work for people like Maja if it were more stictly moderated, she had to enable contact lock due to crazy amounts of messages.
I don't know Maja Toudal.

Yes, I agree, unfortunately YouTube is just one big trollers' free-for-all with very little moderation. I don't have a YouTube account and don't know a lot about how it works, but I think it's up to individual users to block trollers or other irritating users.

There is a link to a thread about Maja in a post of mine above.

Hence that thread on asperclick about YouTube the dumping ground. It's quite libertarian, it's up to individual users to block trollers or other irritating users, and it's up to copyright holders to report copyvios, and supply the material for the filter ID. Not just a big trollers' free for all, but a pirates free-for-all, forget about any supposed benefits it has.
One vlogger has asked many to block Mrcooldude964, see here, two users, including myself tried to report him for decativation, but failed because he complied with community guidelines.

There is a link to a thread about Maja in a post of mine above.

Hence that thread on asperclick about YouTube the dumping ground. It's quite libertarian, it's up to individual users to block trollers or other irritating users, and it's up to copyright holders to report copyvios, and supply the material for the filter ID. Not just a big trollers' free for all, but a pirates free-for-all, forget about any supposed benefits it has.
One vlogger has asked many to block Mrcooldude964, see here, two users, including myself tried to report him for decativation, but failed because he complied with community guidelines.
Yes, we're back to that issue, though here is not an appropiate place to discuss it because we are derailing the thread. Maja Toudal is indeed well-spoken, and gets her point across very clearly, though I think she has probably scripted, prepared and rehearsed the vidoes in great detail before posting them. It's difficult to know how aspies on any internet forum may speak, because mostly we only ever see their writing. I think that this is similar to how it is in the general population - some people are well spoken and naturally good at public speaking, and others not so good, it depends on the person.

New Threads

Top Bottom