• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do Aspies like other Aspies

In the last few months, I've met a few other aspies. We've got well. No small task to deal with, instead having nice logical chats !

I am generally somewhat reserved by nature, and really only comfortable with one or two other people or small groups of people I know well. I am not good at maintaining friendships, but generally I find myself drawn to people who are a little eccentric or quirky (but not overly so). I suspect the people I am most likely to be friends with have more aspie traits than average even if they are not actually aspie themselves.

It really depends on the person for me. I think that dealing with other aspies tends to bring extremes as far as how well I get along with them. I either get along with them extremely well, or I can't stand to be near them. I find that one issue that creeps up is conflict resolution, due to poor communication skills all around. Generally, in my experience, the less dominant aspie (I've been in both rolls) will not speak up when there is a problem and withdraw from the relationship, leaving the more dominant aspie questioning what happened. I also find that often times, both of us will end up having very little in common, and not only that, but naturally we're both completely obsessed with our interests that the other person doesn't even want to hear about. It makes for annoying conversation sometimes, to be honest. When I can find an aspie that I at least share SOME common ground with, then things go quite nicely. Even if I don't get along with the person, it is really nice knowing that they at least understand my behavior and aren't judging me and getting all offended over little things.

In case you're wondering, I was a part of a social group for women with aspergers, so I've met quite a few. I also have a good handful of them in my family, I'm married to one and have at least one child on the spectrum (the other is fairly young, but probably has it too), so I basically live in autism land. The people I regularly associate with that do not have autism are either my sons therapists who just love to "study" me (lol, fine with me), parents of children with autism that I know from my sons school (they're very accepting), or relatives who have been around people with autism their whole lives (whether they realized it or not.)

The funny thing is, I didn't know a thing about it until 4 years ago when someone suggested that my husband might have it. The rest quickly snowballed, and here I am :)

I do not know. I live in a fairly low populated area and I am not very social. I do know this, I get along just fine with nice people.

The ones I have met in person often reject me before I even think twice about engaging in conversation. Although, there has been a couple of understanding individuals that seemed to accept my company just fine. It's all about the nature of a person.

Hi i was just wondering about everyone elses thought on wether Aspies get on well with other Aspies. Two aspies are definetly more understanding to one another but i find the conversation to be even more annoying, like for instance i have a brother who claims he has Aspergers like me, it does make some sence to me but he is also known as a major bullshitter so i dont know, but back to the point, when he and i are talking i find that we both as aspies have things that we really want to talk about and i find that when he talks instead of listening i tend to just wait for a time to get a word in about what i wanna say and he seems to be doing exactly the same so the end result is that we are talking to each other but we arent talking about the same conversation, must look pretty weired to others LOL.
And think of this me as an Aspie i find myself to be the reserved and quiet one, the one who only really makes an effort to talk when people have left the room leaving say me and people i know very well. So imagine two people meet who are like this, are they gna "hit it off" straight away because there brains work the same?
Look at all the graphs of the different aspie brains...all different. I think that genetics and environment are the major contributors to the similarities with your brother and yourself. You guys will work it out and later appreciate your unique relationship. If you guys put your heads together, it could be amazing.

I don't know other aspies IRL at the moment however I know some online some of whom I have known for many years and I get on with them.

I
I think that some typical aspie behaviour may well irritate me, if, for example, I have a rigid opinion about something and another aspie who I'm talking to has an different and opposing rigid opinion to me, then we'll just irritate each other.
II
Or if an aspie has a special interest that I don't like or am not interested in and keeps talking about it, or if they keep repeating themselves, talk a lot and tire me, then I'll be overwhelmed and want to avoid that person.
Are I and II really defining the same problem?

I used to dislike aspies until I accepted the fact that I was also one. Now I love them. :p

if they’re not a woman has to do this and the woman has to be that, because in my opinion ,I am so perfect the woman could only be that .The male ones seem to have a problem with the fact that if you discuss something you don’t necessarily want to have a verbal all-out fight,Both Male /female ones who are younger than their 40s seem to have that very aggressive streak as well.

if an aspie has a special interest that I don't like or am not interested in and keeps talking about it, or if they keep repeating themselves, talk a lot and tire me, then I'll be overwhelmed and want to avoid that person.
What if you are not into it and also don't think they should be talking about that topic, or don't want anyone else to discuss it with that person, for some reason?

What if you are not into it and also don't think they should be talking about that topic, or don't want anyone else to discuss it with that person, for some reason?
Same. I'll tell the person that I don't want to talk about that subject.
or don't want anyone else to discuss it with that person, for some reason?
Unless it is something personal about me, what they talk about with other people is their business.

@Progster What if the person talking on and on about it is speaking with authority on it but has poor grasp? What if they aren't qualified to discuss it?
What if it is something personal about a friend or relative of yours?
Why only tell them you don't want to talk about that subject, not that you don't want that other person talking about it?

@Progster What if the person talking on and on about it is speaking with authority on it but has poor grasp? What if they aren't qualified to discuss it?
What if it is something personal about a friend or relative of yours?
Why only tell them you don't want to talk about that subject, not that you don't want that other person talking about it?
Too many abstract/hypothetical questions at once for me to answer.

In my experience no... there is a lot of competition, in the same way that women would be quite bitchy with one another.

There seems to be jealously and an attitude of “there can’t be more than one of us in the building”.

I notice this a lot with my current Aspie group. There are definitely a few there that don’t want me to upstage their position in the pecking order.

Ignoring that we can sometimes annoy one another, with opposing symptoms, I.e talking too much, interrupting, lack of empathy.

I have an Aspie acquaintance from uni and my best friend has Asperger's as well. In both cases, there was initially a lot of conflict (for months even) but that subsided and we get along great. So for me it's very rocky beginnings and then it becomes pretty great.

New Threads

Top Bottom