• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do Aspies like other Aspies

Well, you can like other aspies and not like other aspies. I have a friend who is an aspie and we share some common interestests and he is a good guy. But then there is this aspie kid who gets annoying sometimes, I just try to be nice to him.

Hi i was just wondering about everyone elses thought on wether Aspies get on well with other Aspies. Two aspies are definetly more understanding to one another but i find the conversation to be even more annoying, like for instance i have a brother who claims he has Aspergers like me, it does make some sence to me but he is also known as a major bullshitter so i dont know, but back to the point, when he and i are talking i find that we both as aspies have things that we really want to talk about and i find that when he talks instead of listening i tend to just wait for a time to get a word in about what i wanna say and he seems to be doing exactly the same so the end result is that we are talking to each other but we arent talking about the same conversation, must look pretty weired to others LOL.
And think of this me as an Aspie i find myself to be the reserved and quiet one, the one who only really makes an effort to talk when people have left the room leaving say me and people i know very well. So imagine two people meet who are like this, are they gna "hit it off" straight away because there brains work the same?

i dont no really but they say that opposites attract but then again they also say that birds of a feather flock together; persoally i've never really spoken to anyone with AS before but i can imagine that it would be difficult for some reason...

There really are no opportunities ot know this in real life. Where I live there is no chance to meet any aspies. D.d.d. (division of developmental disabilities) keeps saying they can't break confidentiality or hippo laws with their clients so they won't hook me up with anyone like me. Otherwise, there are a few support groups a long distance away and they didn't work out and when you have noise/light/ other issues it is pretty difficult to socialize in typical places that others find it easy to.

-sean-

All of my friends are aspies and the girlfriends I had have been aspies for sure. But also every aspie is different and has once own personality .

But I think at least for me the common thing that makes me work best with other aspies are the often logical thinking and that its not need for going out to partys or other social events.

Also special interests are a good thing. And there are not so much small talk or hidden signals. And the sarkasm and ironi humor is often more logical and does not get so lost on me.

And Its also nice to feel like I belong . With NT´s often I feel that I dont belong. And that is not a fun feeling.

Other aspies/HFAs can be annoying, but I have liked all of the 4 or 5 aspies I have known irl. I find their candour and their unusual humour and their obliviousness to social graces interesting - sometimes it is like looking into a mirror and seeing "so that is how I appear when I do/say something like that".

I think parts of this thread show that aspie's don't always like other aspie's, but NT's don't always like NT's. I have known aspie's I really get along with, and I have known those who really get on my nerves. I think it would be interesting to have an aspie friend with similar interests to myself, but then that is kind of like saying I would like to have a twin. The reality is, if I really did have a twin, we would probably argue.

Wow, I've not posted for a while and my post is beginning to read back like a piece of my coursework. I hope you get my point anyway.

I really wouldn't know what is like to even be around another Aspie i don't know any just me it isn't as common in the USA i'm sure there are some around I just don't know it... but i get along just fine with other people :) most of the time anyways.

I've been to one of the NAS social groups and I've spent over a year with the intention of going again but never really getting round to it, but generally I tend to get stressed around people especially ones whom are talkative. I guess it doesnt really matter if they are NT or aspie.

Yep, agreed that it varies. 2 people with Aspergers probably won't be the same, just as 2 NTs wouldn't. Whether I liked another person with AS or not would depend more on their personality than the fact they had AS. Its nice that'd they have some understanding, but that's certainly no guarantee we'd be best buds. But, alas, I've never met anyone(that I know of) with AS. Went to school with a couple of autistic kids, one was even in my class, but they were closer to classic autistic.

As amusing as this all out verbal civil war is between chinaberry and nerd by default is I would have to say I wouldnt know nerd as Ive never in my life met another aspie before. Honestly. And in response to your main negativity post i disagree. Being negative doesnt necassarily eat away at you at all. It all depends on what your opinions and choices are and obviously how mentally well conditioned you are. But thats just my opinion. But at the same time most people are generally highly intolerant and judgemental of us so I would think yes from a purely understanding perspective an aspie could like another one. Just keep in mind we are human too last time i checked!!!

I have to agree that the people I have encountered on here are amazing and friendly. :) I'm grateful to have older Aspie friends.

I have two customers in particular who are aspies and I could talk to them all day. We have so much in common it is weird. Een before I knew I was an aspie I got along great with these people, as well as a few other folks who I now recognize as aspies. They are just so much easier to talk to.

One of my old managers was an Aspie--I don't know if he was diagnosed or not--but we got along great, and I miss him. He was the only one of my supervisors at the time who thought all my screw-ups were indescribably hilarious.

There are possibly a few Aspies at my school but I don't know who. So far, it seems like I'm the only Aspie at my school. o_O

Crazy story: My husband and I decided to get married after knowing each other for 3 months. We've since been married 5 years and discovered when my son got diagnosed the reason we get along so well is because we're both Aspies and are probably the first Aspies we had ever come across, lol. Now I'm sure there's a fair share of other aspies I wouldn't want to be around all the time due to differences in special interests and varying degrees of social ability, but overall I'm sure I'd get along with aspies better than any NT. It's like trying to talk to someone who doesn't understand your language when talking to NTs for me.

I haven't really met any people (around my age) with Asperger's or Autism outside this forum. Here I have hard time relating to most of people. It seems to me (and it's just my opinion) most of people here make a lot of emotional statements or talk about the way they feel rather than talking about problems and solutions. I also don't really understand why people would want to talk about similar interests more than once or twice. There are only a few people I can sort of relate to on t his forum - the kind of people who are more logical, not influenced as much by their emotions and insightful. So, in the end, I'd like to add, connection between people often depends on their personalities. I mean, when you have 2 people on the spectrum, having similar challenges and traits may help, but the difference in the way people look at those challenges and traits (or life in general) may become a deal breaker.

Definitely, yes!!! It's like I have a smell for other Aspies and am so insanely drawn to their complicated and interesting personalities. I don't care how messed up they are because I am too. :))) Definitely value an Aspie friend, an Aspie boyfriend...Aspie family members, especially is they refuse to recognize they are Aspies, are harder to appreciate, I find.
But I guess just like parents and relatives of any kind, because you are around them so often.

New Threads

Top Bottom