• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do a lot of us just like figuring out how things work?

autism-and-autotune

A musical mind with recent revelations
For example, I let my impulse get the better of me and purchased sheet music for a specific arrangement of Baroque music. I woke up and the piece was on my mind, and I thought 'Gee I wonder about the inner workings of this arrangement'. Is this common for us to have an insatiable need to explore how things work or operate?

Not so much like your example. But I do want to know how things work generally. For example at work. Whenever a machenic comes to fix something I will go along with them and ask them questions. And if there is anything I can do myself. Or with new computer programs at work I dive deep into the program. Because of this people generally think I know everything. And I know more than most my colleages at work. And I get really frustrated by the lack of interest other people have with things I think we must know to do our jobs well.
Also if someone for example tells me their printer isn`t working when I`m over to visit. I will spend the next couple hours (or as long as it takes) to figure out what is wrong.
I just generally want to know why things work, or why things aren`t working so I can fix them.

Not so much like your example. But I do want to know how things work generally. For example at work. Whenever a machenic comes to fix something I will go along with them and ask them questions. And if there is anything I can do myself. Or with new computer programs at work I dive deep into the program. Because of this people generally think I know everything. And I know more than most my colleages at work. And I get really frustrated by the lack of interest other people have with things I think we must know to do our jobs well.
Also if someone for example tells me their printer isn`t working when I`m over to visit. I will spend the next couple hours (or as long as it takes) to figure out what is wrong.
I just generally want to know why things work, or why things aren`t working so I can fix them.
Ah, neat! I like how you think.

The great downside is, is that people know if you do this. And then start relying on you to do it. And stop doing certain things themselves because they know you will take care of it.
There are a lot of systems at work of which I`m the only one who knows how they work properly. While my team consists of 4 people and my boss.
Upside is that is always happens the way I want it to happen because I`m the only one with the knowledge to do the things.

Yes! I repair things and also make things and I do always think about how something was made probably to deeply sometimes! Rocks and stones also fascinate me for some reason..
Well plenty of things do really

Yes, I do this constantly with tech and and like you say, sometimes it does feel like more of a need. Interesting to hear about going deeper into the inner workings of sheet music.

Pretty much everything in this room I've taken apart and put back together. Usually successfully...

What components are being used? Anything interesting or weird? Any strange design decisions? Can I modify or improve it? How easy is it to fix? Can I copy the design and make my own better version?

Or just how does it work in general? I've even take apart pens to see how the mechanism worked

The great downside is, is that people know if you do this. And the start relying on you to do it. And stop doing certain things themselves because they know you will take care of it.
There are a lot of systems at work of which I`m the only one who knows how they work properly. While my team consists of 4 people and my boss.
Upside is that is always happens the way I want it to happen because I`m the only one with the knowledge to do the things.
I encountered that a lot during my career.

I went to work at one place just to coast in a fabrication shop because the pay and benefits were outstanding and ended up carrying their engineering department in under a year.
At the time they were offering a 55 hour work week spread out over six days with a pretty hefty payrate.
I didn't even want the damned job but couldn't pass up the almighty dollars they wanted us to have.
Our client list included General Motors, Toyota, Leatherman Multi Tools, Extrude Hone and a myriad of other smaller outfits that wanted our products.
I eventually quit there because one of my own operations had taken off and I had to devote all of my time towards it.

While working there, I already had one employee working at my place and basically only slept 4 hours a night because of how much time I devoted to my own operation

I was sourced by many over the years to tap my knowledge, but that always led to bigger and better things.

I can definitely relate to what people have posted here. An insatiable drive to understand, powered by curiosity. If I can’t understand something, it circles my mind until I figure out someway to make sense of it.

For me, the thing to figure out is often human behavior and why people act the way that they do, both on individual levels and among greater social trends. That’s a puzzle I probably won’t complete for a lifetime, so I will just keep chipping away at understanding it one bit at a time.

I found myself taking toys and machines apart to find out how they worked. I took most of my 1995 Mazda truck engine apart just because I wanted to understand how it worked. It ran perfect after I put it back together as well. :)

I'm like that with films, especially drama series. I sometimes think "how do they do that?" Often Google doesn't provide much information about behind the scenes of a film piece and I find it so frustrating.

I've been this way my entire life; everything from technology to music, mathematics, visual art, algorithms, human nature and the secrets of the universe have baffled me. Ultimately I only understand a sliver of what I want to know, but it's the dangling carrot at the end of the stick that keeps me moving forward.

Yes, I do this constantly with tech and and like you say, sometimes it does feel like more of a need. Interesting to hear about going deeper into the inner workings of sheet music.

Pretty much everything in this room I've taken apart and put back together. Usually successfully...

What components are being used? Anything interesting or weird? Any strange design decisions? Can I modify or improve it? How easy is it to fix? Can I copy the design and make my own better version?

Or just how does it work in general? I've even take apart pens to see how the mechanism worked
its what got me into computers

like i'd love to have a talk about this.

I've made tables about what i feel about CPU's GPU, and what i'd advice people to buy based on their needs.

I can relate with this on electronic and mechanical things

Growing up I'd tear apart things to look at how they worked inside, mostly old things.

I really liked watching "how it's made" when I had access to the discovery channel and am usually curious about how certain things work and feel happy when I figure it out.

I want to know all the strategic points for getting the best possible outcome. Like l bought my tiny little home right during Covid because l sensed l had a better chance at a better price because nobody was looking at homes. I tried to offer the buyer something in return for a lower offer and it was accepted. So my burning desire is to fact gather as much info as l can on anything, and it is a bit obsessive. After the hurricane, l went and looked at damage to assess what type of damage happened the most. And yes, don't buy homes near giant trees. Lol
I had a job where l took apart a ice cream frosty type of machine to clean, and l liked putting it back together. Maybe l would like to take everything apart to see how connections are fused, however that would result in a messy place and Adult protective services called because l had just dismembered everything which would be a great character in a storyline. Truly, you need percentages on everything, on life, like how long will l live.

For example, I let my impulse get the better of me and purchased sheet music for a specific arrangement of Baroque music. I woke up and the piece was on my mind, and I thought 'Gee I wonder about the inner workings of this arrangement'. Is this common for us to have an insatiable need to explore how things work or operate?
Yes. E-v-e-r-y waking moment. My mind will flip from one topic to the next, but to be sure, I don't take a passing interest. I will take some pretty deep dives into things. My brain is always "ON".

Yes!! I don't often take lessons for anything. I mostly just teach myself things that I am interested in.

I do enjoy learning how some things work and their history if it applies. Technology is rather fascinating when you observe the evolution of the field in the past 200 years.

I don't know if it is common, but that is how it is for me.

I've been this way my entire life; everything from technology to music, mathematics, visual art, algorithms, human nature and the secrets of the universe have baffled me. Ultimately I only understand a sliver of what I want to know, but it's the dangling carrot at the end of the stick that keeps me moving forward.
I read a book that explained the answer to Life, the Universe and Everything. It's 42.

New Threads

Top Bottom