• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Direct involvement in research

I'll buy that one when they stop calling it Autistic Spectrum Disorder...
And when they look deeper than symptomatics...
And when they recognise this abuse of natal difference is discrimination...
And when they give the top end basic human rights by educating them properly...
And when...

Heathrow Airport's just radioed in. Porker 123 Right 27 please return to stand.
I disagree

I'll buy that one when they stop calling it Autistic Spectrum Disorder...
And when they look deeper than symptomatics...
And when they recognise this abuse of natal difference is discrimination...
And when they give the top end basic human rights by educating them properly...
And when...

Heathrow Airport's just radioed in. Porker 123 Right 27 please return to stand.
you wonder why you have problems when you equate my helpful suggestion to flying pigs

Rahere - I've long understood that ASD is a spectrum and believe that everyone on the spectrum deserves as much help, education and consideration as possible regardless of where they fall on the spectrum.

I also have long understood that narcissism is a spectrum, and I think the narcissism spectrum is more at play here than the ASD spectrum. I don't want to hurt your feelings but do you consider how your words and attitudes might affect people not so "brilliant" as youself?

(I am 2e also.)
"Asynchronous development" means that one developed unevenly, particularly in their neurological traits. NTs develop more evenly (in that regard). There are gifteds who have developed evenly, too, but they are the exception rather than the rule.

The last time I took the WAIS(-IV),* my sub-scores had a 43 point spread. I am told that they are typically much less spread among NTs.

*It is the only one where I had access to the raw numbers.
(I am 2e also.)
"Asynchronous development" means that one developed unevenly, particularly in their neurological traits. NTs develop more evenly (in that regard). There are gifteds who have developed evenly, too, but they are the exception rather than the rule.

The last time I took the WAIS(-IV),* my sub-scores had a 43 point spread. I am told that they are typically much less spread among NTs.

*It is the only one where I had access to the raw numbers.

One of my issues isn't far from David Wechsler's, in that I don't understand how you can quantify something you don't understand. I've been considering my Reiki, as it disproves the unempathic thesis. Let's go into it.

Firstly, at master level, it's telepathic. I share most traits with Usui's original circle, a diplomat in Peace-making, using Zen Christian meditation, and highly meridian-aware. I "read the room" banally.
Secondly, it's meditative, in other words non-cognitive. It's greatly boosted by my medium gift, tapping the numinous.
Thirdly, it's meridian-powered. I'd been aware of those energy flows from my teenage years, rejected chakras as too crude, and finally found the acupuncture maps as a fair approximation to my experience.

Reiki never crossed my mind until an aura-sensitive told me categorically I have a master's aura. So, hearing of an Open Day from a forum dealing with a polyharmonic instrument, I hied my way to a Healer Sanctuary on the other side of this huge city, and found my way to a meditation. I was a complete stranger to all present, so I read the room and discovered a deficiency in a particular area. I cleansed my channels, and offered power to the area, silently. It was taken. I settled back and waited. Session time done, the leader asked if there were any questions. A hand shot up from the general area, "I've never come out of a meditation tingling before. Is this usual?" I owned up: I hadn't been obtrusive, but facilitating, and someone in that group of four had just grabbed for its need. Test confirmed, and the new practitioner, whose hands-on transfer hadn't worked, was happily taken under the sanctuary's wing to settle her powers.

What had happened is that my service in diplomacy had developed my long-distance broad-range empathy, to understand how a nation I'd never visited felt, to offer viable and realistic help. I later tested it in a tighter focus one-on-one with my mentor, looking into his mind to tell him a deep secret he kept very private. He had plenty of shields, which I respected, but that was visible. It's like Donald Trump's code-breaker in November, I've done that too as a proof of concept, my only crib being a partial knowledge of its contents: system and password took 5 minutes, and assembling the tools to confirm, fifteen. My metamorphic experience involved channelling a power which blind-read a 20-word text I didn't know existed. Strange? You bet. Functional? Very.

Read my comments on a closed subforum, please. What worries me is exactly that: but I have a right to understand myself. Is it possible the shrinks are wrong? Very, because they don't seem to know how it works, they've never looked.

At the same time, I am diagnosed, formally, without my full informed consent. Something like 2% of the population are in the top group, and of those, at least half are on the spectrum. That's hundreds of thousands of people.

Now, for the last century, all the work's gone into the bottom end group as being the most abused. I'm not decrying that, but surely any abuse needs to be stopped, and I've been abused. I think many more have. That's not narcissistic, and I'm sorry if my daring to put my experience down as a starting point seems that way. We have to start somewhere.

you wonder why you have problems when you equate my helpful suggestion to flying pigs

I was thinking about another comment suggesting I was being Quixotic, nobody's listening. That's why I'm suggesting we have our own say! But first, discover what to say.

Given that, in the 80 years since Hans Asperger started, the professionals haven't got deeper than symptoms, I think that author has a point, but not one we should mindlessly accept.

Got me in one. Mine was Bertolluci, The Last Emperor. I'd put the cash down, an overnight loan, which got it off the ground, and was invited to the preview. Then he asked me what did I think...
I'm a bit more than a real-life spear-carrier in rather too many docudramas to count. Bohemian Rhapsody, for example. Misbehaviour. Heck, I'm actually a movement in the night in Personal Services...
And I can link to work for David Byrne and on and on and on
So what?

Got me in one...
Was that in response to the Steven Spielberg cameo...?
full

I think some of the alleged communication problems could boil down to, neurotypicals don't 'get' us, but maybe also, as seen here somewhat, we don't necessarily always 'get' each other either. It makes sense that using more of the brain would translate to increased abilities, which I hear you saying, are not appropriately identified and nurtured in our current designation as a stigmatised identity.

I was thinking about another comment suggesting I was being Quixotic, nobody's listening. That's why I'm suggesting we have our own say! But first, discover what to say.

Given that, in the 80 years since Hans Asperger started, the professionals haven't got deeper than symptoms, I think that author has a point, but not one we should mindlessly accept.
I couldn't imagine you accepting anyone's point im amazed you haven't suffered more with your attitude,I'll wait and watch out for news

Last edited:
It must be lonely being so smart and famous and like an expert on everything and all that. Maybe you can find some friends here that are like you are, just a little bit. Its good to have friends even if you are a telepathic healer with a Nobel prize.

Last edited:
I couldn't imagine you accepting anyone's point im amazed you haven't suffered more with your attitude
Was that in response to the Steven Spielberg cameo...?
full
Yup. I came from a school with a long stage relationship, 400 years now. Birthplace of the NYT movement, where Jude Law was educated. I was mixed up in Oh! What A Lovely War aged 14, finding the uniforms, the number of films I've found myself anonymously referenced in's now in double figures.

It must be lonely being so smart and famous and like an expert on everything and all that. Maybe you can find some friends here that are like you are just a little bit. Its good to have friends even if you are a telepathic healer with a Nobel prize.

So it's water off a duck's back. I'm not famous, just did a lot of useful stuff. I'm not an expert on sports, reality TV, or commercial pop after 1977. Note the common trait: abusive subcultures.

I couldn't imagine you accepting anyone's point im amazed you haven't suffered more with your attitude

Opinions aren't facts, for starters. I'm quick-footed, too. My attitude's necessary because it spares the nonsense. Nobody needs it. If you can't realise I pee in the pan too, then clear off. I do accept points, what was the opening here about if not asking other opinions? You don't have to buy into everything you're told. I don't necessarily expect much response, but if I don't try I'll get nowhere.

So it's water off a duck's back. I'm not famous, just did a lot of useful stuff. I'm not an expert on sports, reality TV, or commercial pop after 1977. Note the common trait: abusive subcultures.

Let me tell you a true tale from about 25 years ago, the Edinburgh Harp Festival, Easter, Students' Union Bar, closed. A bunch of us harpers are chewing the fat when Paddy Moloney ambles over and asks to sit in. He's the pipes player of the Chieftains. A second or two passes and he fixes me. Glances at a set of low whistles sticking out of my pack. It's a new instrument, created by Finbar Furey about four years earlier, after his Brazilian whistle got destroyed, but he uses it in Brazilian music. So I'd got one from the first mainscale production run, Dixons. And as it happened, yes I could, working against recordings of his mucker Jimmy Galway. And so it starts, testing me out, follow-the-leader, except I'm decorating and complimenting, so we're into basic harmonies, he's on firsts, I'm an octave below on seconds, and he realises I'm not playing scored seconds from a book, so away we go, for an hour until classes start. I don't think that had happened before, but the "me" in it went, we were painting in music. Nowadays, thanks to Lord of the Rings, they're commonplace, but I was as far as I know, first with the glissing.

If fate brings you lemons...

REMINDER

If you come across something you find offensive or believe breaks the rules,
report it to a member of staff using the report button.
Do not reply to the thread.
If you are having a problem with another member of the forums,
you may contact a member of staff via Private Message about it.

General Rules & Guidelines

Autism is not an ID it's a developmental disorder (so is ID) but normal intelligence (and yes even high intelligence) is possible in autism. You are 2e!! (just like me!)

Just an edit: being autistic and smart can be confusing the distance between my highest iq score measurement thing (I have no idea the technical terms) and the lowest is 50 points and my highest score and second highest score is 43 points. Many autistic people develop unevenly but they does not mean we are stupid.

New Threads

Top Bottom