• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Did you know? Cow facts

Annakenzie

Did you know there are no male cows? A male 'cow' is called a bull, and a female isn't automatically a cow either, beforehand she is called a heifer but after giving birth to its first calf then she would be called a cow.

Did you know there is over 800 species of cows in the world and there's constantly new species being born? This is because people breed cows for very specific purposes.

Lamborghini has a special breed of cow that no one else can legally use or have, because these cows are raised to give extremely high quality leather. Due to the quality of their leather it causes a huge increase in price compared to regular leathers. This is also why the leather they use is called "Lamborghini leather".

Did you know there are no male cows? A male 'cow' is called a bull, and a female isn't automatically a cow either, beforehand she is called a heffer but after giving birth to it's first calf then she would be called a cow.

Did you know there is over 800 species of cows in the world and there's constantly new species being born? This is because people breed cows for very specific purposes.

Lamborghini has a special breed of cow that no one else can legally use or have, because these cows are raised to give extremely high quality leather. Due to the quality of their leather it causes a huge increase in price compared to regular leathers. This is also why the leather they use is called "Lamborghini leather".

Yep. I grew up with cows, heifers, steers, and bulls on our family farm. My father raised beef cattle and we had a couple of milk cows which my brothers had to milk.

Did you know that cattle love to swim and to just hang out in water? Or they do that where I live anyway. Every afternoon in the summer, the cattle will go stand in the ponds. I think it helps them avoid flies and other insects and maybe it feels good to take the weight off their hooves.

When Hurricane Katrina hit my state in 2005, an electrical power crew from Maine helped restore electricity on our land and along our road. They freaked out when they saw the cows standing in the pond and asked if they could help us rescue them from the water. We laughed and explained that the cows are quite capable of getting themselves out of the pond. I'm sure I'd learn something new, too, if I visited a farm in Maine!

My family raised Limousin/Limousine beef cattle for several years. We had a bull we named "Chester", looked like a bodybuilder, just "ripped" with muscle, about 2800 lbs, a massive animal. Chester was, I think, part dog (laughing). He would literally run up to the fence for scratches and pets. He had a big red ball to play with out in his paddock. We could go out and "play ball" with this massive bull and he was just a good, kind-hearted soul. I sort of miss the big guy.

Did you know that cattle love to swim and to just hang out in water? Or they do that where I live anyway. Every afternoon in the summer, the cattle will go stand in the ponds. I think it helps them avoid flies and other insects and maybe it feels good to take the weight off their hooves.

When Hurricane Katrina hit my state in 2005, an electrical power crew from Maine helped restore electricity on our land and along our road. They freaked out when they saw the cows standing in the pond and asked if they could help us rescue them from the water. We laughed and explained that the cows are quite capable of getting themselves out of the pond. I'm sure I'd learn something new, too, if I visited a farm in Maine!
That is true! They hang out in water especially when its hot to cool themselves off since they trap a lot of heat.

Bringing out memories lived on farm with some cows, pigs chickens when teenager before dad quit job to become full time pig farmer.

A family had us over for Thanksgiving dinner one year when I was stationed in North Dakota. They farmed and raised cattle. The guy took me on a short tour of his farm buildings after dinner. I was born raised in and around NYC so this is quite exotic stuff to me. I have been frightened many times in my life, but one that sticks with me was when we took a short cut through the Bull pen. Three humongous scary looking dark brown bulls stood off to one side and we had to cross a small space, maybe 40 or 50 feet (in the pen!). I hestitated and asked him 'Is this safe?' but he assured me it was. They just stood there watching us intently. But it was an uncomfortable 50 feet for me I can tell you! :D

Some of our Neighbours had dairy farms bull on site if not using artificial insemination. they are loaded with testosterone. like protecting their territory.

I spend many summers on my grandparents farm when I was young, they had cows and pigs, I was a bit scared of the cows, they were so big, but I really didn't like the pigs, it was because they made so much noise compared to the cows.... the cows did a moohhh some times, but it was more deep than the pigs - and not every time you came close to them, you only had to be careful if they raised their tail when walking behind them, but if you got near to the pig pen in the stable, the pigs, like screamed, at least that is how I remember it, I never wanted to go near them - I know cattle in distress can also make loud noises, but they didn't do that for "fun" like pigs or dogs.... I just realized the connection between the pigs and my noise sensitivity - cool :)

That is true! They hang out in water especially when its hot to cool themselves off since they trap a lot of heat.
I saw these guys doing that just recently.

B3E26AF7-DC96-433B-B391-BD3F488FEDE2_1_105_c.jpeg

I spend many summers on my grandparents farm when I was young, they had cows and pigs, I was a bit scared of the cows, they were so big, but I really didn't like the pigs, it was because they made so much noise compared to the cows.... the cows did a moohhh some times, but it was more deep than the pigs - and not every time you came close to them, you only had to be careful if they raised their tail when walking behind them, but if you got near to the pig pen in the stable, the pigs, like screamed, at least that is how I remember it, I never wanted to go near them - I know cattle in distress can also make loud noises, but they didn't do that for "fun" like pigs or dogs.... I just realized the connection between the pigs and my noise sensitivity - cool :)

My father raised hogs for about one year and then abandoned the project. They were huge, scary, aggressive cannibals. They will eat humans, too, if they get a chance!

My father raised hogs for about one year and then abandoned the project. They were huge, scary, aggressive cannibals. They will eat humans, too, if they get a chance!
Somehow I'm happy you wrote this, so it wasn't just a young version of me that was scared of them, even I was probably safe outside of the enclosure :)

Australia has a huge cattle industry, mostly beef but a lot of dairy as well. We're the world's second largest producer of beef.

In 2019 we lost more than 600,000 head of cattle due to floods and that didn't even put a dent in our export markets.

We also have a cattle station that is larger than 49 of the world's countries at 5,851,000 acres. It employs 8 people.

Australia has a huge cattle industry, mostly beef but a lot of dairy as well. We're the world's second largest producer of beef.

In 2019 we lost more than 600,000 head of cattle due to floods and that didn't even put a dent in our export markets.

We also have a cattle station that is larger than 49 of the world's countries at 5,851,000 acres. It employs 8 people.

Australia has cattle stations bigger than the country I live in, it's crazy. :)

Australia has cattle stations bigger than the country I live in, it's crazy. :)
It's a bit of an odd situation. Cattle farmers don't own that land, the government does. Farmers apply for a lease on the land and pay rent to the government. There are public roads through these properties that the government maintains and there's even a town inside Anna Creek Station.

A lot of tourists, including many Australians, are quite confused when they're driving along a public road and then they come to a gate. The simple rule to remember is that you always leave things as you found them. So if a gate is closed then you close it behind you as you pass through, if a gate is open then you leave it open.

Another rule that a lot of people never get told is that you must never ever use a drinking trough to wash yourself. If you leave the smell of soap, perfume, hand cream or sunblock in that water then the cattle will die of thirst rather than drink it. You can use the water, but you get a bucket full and walk well away from that drinking trough before washing yourself.

Pigs scream when they are hungry of think you are going to feed them the sound is horrific and very loud, commonly used on horror film sound tracks.

It's a bit of an odd situation. Cattle farmers don't own that land, the government does. Farmers apply for a lease on the land and pay rent to the government.

Oh, so that's how it is. I was wondering how farmers could end up with so much land. That Anna Creek Station for example, buying 5,8 million acres of land sounds very expensive.

I guess my dream of owning a few million acres of Australian land is not going to happen. Darn. :)

A lot of tourists, including many Australians, are quite confused when they're driving along a public road and then they come to a gate. The simple rule to remember is that you always leave things as you found them. So if a gate is closed then you close it behind you as you pass through, if a gate is open then you leave it open.
They don't use cattle guards for the roads?
cattle-guard.png

Cattle guards explained

Did you know that there is a type of beef in Japan where they feed the cows beer and massage them to make it super tender? It is way outside my price range.

New Threads

Top Bottom