• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Diagnosed with PDD-NOS - but it's gone now from the DSM5?

Lysander

Hey everyone,

I was diagnosed with PDD-NOS in 2012 when I was 18. I had never considered the possibility of autism before then, and I am afraid to mention it to my family, who are unaware. I'm having doubts as to whether I truly have autism or if something else is wrong. I do have a lot of the symptoms associated with ASD, but PDD-NOS no longer exists under the DSM-5, so I'm not sure where that leaves me. A mild degree of autism seems to make sense, and in hind sight would explain a lot, including my constant confusion around social issues. The box that I don't check is having noticable repetitive behaviors. I've read that sometimes females with autism do not have as many outward signs, but it's still a main criterion I have to consider. My family and friends always described me as argumentative, "zero to 60", bossy, insensitive, unbearable and inappropriate. I certainly never intended to be any of those things. I was especially criticised in regard to my tone of voice, which apparently was rude, although I could not understand why. As a baby and a toddler my mom describes me as always screaming, especially whenever she ran the vacuum, and saying she wanted to throw me out of a window. It was not until I was 11 and she told me that I was going to stay with my dad in Alaska because she can't stand me - her words not mine - that it actually dawned on me that maybe my family doesn't like me.

I also can't process speech very well despite having normal hearing, I have difficulty transitioning, no actual desire to be around people, rigid thinking, and limited self awareness on most of those issues when I really need it.

I feel so much kinship to this community, but it could instead be the case that I'm chronically maladjusted, socially and physically clumsy, and maybe even the most frequent thing I hear, "rude". My poor self awareness makes it confusing to reevaluate aspects of my identity, but I feel like I have to know.

Last edited:
Hi @Lysander
Welcome to the community :)
As you say PDD-NOS is no longer in the DSM5, but then neither is Asperger's which is what many of us were diagnosed with. We are now all classified as being on the Autistic Spectrum which may not always make sense to us with previous diagnosis, but it does make some sense at least when it comes to tidying up the designations. If it makes any difference, I have an Asperger's diagnosis but much of what you describe resonates with me and will with plenty of others here.

As mentioned here both Aspergers and PDD NOS has been absorbed in the autistic spectrum so I guess we would be classed as high functioning autistic though I prefer the Aspergers term,I have issues with my tone aswell and while I am not a rude person sometimes I cannot hear my own tone of voice and don’t realise I sound rude or cranky because I have many moments where my husband has been able to hear my tone of voice and I didn’t realise I was coming across rude and sadly has led to many misunderstandings but I get the whole social thing it sucks not being aware of how you come across sometimes which can led to being misunderstood and it doesn’t help those social issues at all.

Asperger's and PDD-NOS are now classified as ASD (usually level 1). I don't tick all of the boxes either, nobody does.

Hey everyone,

I was diagnosed with PDD-NOS in 2012 when I was 18. I had never considered the possibility of autism before then, and I am afraid to mention it to my family, who are unaware. I'm having doubts as to whether I truly have autism or if something else is wrong. I do have a lot of the symptoms associated with ASD, but PDD-NOS no longer exists under the DSM-5, so I'm not sure where that leaves me. A mild degree of autism seems to make sense, and in hind sight would explain a lot, including my constant confusion around social issues. The box that I don't check is having noticable repetitive behaviors. I've read that sometimes females with autism do not have as many outward signs, but it's still a main criterion I have to consider. My family and friends always described me as argumentative, "zero to 60", bossy, insensitive, unbearable and inappropriate. I certainly never intended to be any of those things. I was especially criticised in regard to my tone of voice, which apparently was rude, although I could not understand why. As a baby and a toddler my mom describes me as always screaming, especially whenever she ran the vacuum, and saying she wanted to throw me out of a window. It was not until I was 11 and she told me that I was going to stay with my dad in Alaska because she can't stand me - her words not mine - that it actually dawned on me that maybe my family doesn't like me.

I also can't process speech very well despite having normal hearing, I have difficulty transitioning, no actual desire to be around people, rigid thinking, and limited self awareness on most of those issues when I really need it.

I feel so much kinship to this community, but it could instead be the case that I'm chronically maladjusted, socially and physically clumsy, and maybe even the most frequent thing I hear, "rude". My poor self awareness makes it confusing to reevaluate aspects of my identity, but I feel like I have to know.

So after reading your post the first time I thought you certainly sound like a complete ass.
Then I thought there is some merit to simply thinking out and submitting a post like this.
The rejection of a mother and the morbid idea of having to move to Alaska has you reconsidering yourself. I certainly would. Do you have access to healthcare and by that I mean a good therapist? You may really be just another selfish ass but I tend to think not and given some time honestly talking thru things with a therapist may help you find some middle ground. Maybe some tools to help you manage situations better. We all want the truth about ourselves. I applaud your reaching out and posting this. It’s a step. I made a step into this forum. I was absolutely lost. Because of who I seemed to be, I felt abandoned by those who I thought loved me or should love me. I have learned thru this forum the ability to reconsider me. To be honest and try to understand. Luckily I have avoided Alaska. You can to. Big smile.

Much love for your honesty, George. The part about "selfish ass" made me chuckle, as those are the exact words that were echoing through my own mind. I actually agree. I cringe at myself. But what else is new?

Alaska has come and gone, all of this took place when I was 11. I'm now 24. But I thought it was an important part of the story. The story ends with me seeking out therapy and working on my problems there. I reconciled with my mom and flew back home to give her a big hug and apologize for everything profusely. I fixed her roof and car in a vain effort to make up for it all. I call to check on her and rest of my family often now.

So yeah, definitely an ass, but I received a lot of helpful constructive criticism.

New Threads

Top Bottom