• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What effect is the pandemic having on your mental health?

• It is making it easier

Votes: 16 24.6%
  • It is making it harder

Votes: 49 75.4%

• Total voters
What we should really be doing is putting more thought into the ecosystems we invade. Not thinking of ways to continue to do so with impunity.

This is not the first RNA virus to emerge and is far from the last. Viruses are immune systems for populations........humans are the parasites.

This virus is ruining my life. I can't go out for walks, hang out at Church groups, go to Chuch on Sunday, seconds course canceled. Everything cancelled.

What I have remained of a social life is restricted virtual on my small phone screen which is mostly texting as millennium's I am friends with don't like to make phone calls. Except for video chats that are virtual life group mettings or virtual church.

Now the tipping point Amazon as nothing in stock anymore. I wanted to order dumbbells since I can't walk and I want to lose weight well they don't have them in stock. So I can't even do that.

This virus should have been contained in China then the world would not be suffering. Now we got people from my Church family they could lose there job and they can't go out either.

You can use cans of food as dumbbells. If you still have cans of food at this point. ;)

I took a walk it was so creepy. People were staying a distance from each other like people with ASD do like it is the Autism virus. The streets were almost empty and there was very little traffic on the street.

I could not listen to upbeat or spiritual music so listen to Ambient this is how gloomy the music was with social distancing.
‎Gammadrone by J.S. Epperson

Well I was able to take a walk today. The streets are almost empty. Everyone is keeping there distance. This is so scary. Me and my friends are all going through isolation issues, me more as I use to be a recluse. We are also all praying that this thing goes away and life can go back to normal.

Lol. I text a lot. But sometimes a voice asking you how you are doing is good too.
The people I hang out with don't call each other. No matter how much I say I would like to hear there voice they just don't do it. They might only call and do a phone call with there family like their mother or grandparents. The only time I see them is when we do group virtual chat and they have to join in as some do not.

One of the current differences I've found is that I'm far more fortunate than some.

Curiosity had me gloved and masked and knocking on the door of an elderly couple living on our street before I went on an "essentials" shopping trip.

Their only daughter returned from Italy testing positive.
The seventy plus year old wife recovering from surgery is caring for the eighty year old husband who has a wasting disease.
They'd ordered their shopping online for home delivery but were experiencing a six day wait/delay.

Just a few moments out of my day made a non contact difference to someone else.

Highlights how fortunate I currently am. Shifts perspective.

I think the numbers of this thing are misleading. I think considerably more people have it or had it that have not been tested. Meaning there are a whole lot of asymptomatic and pretty mild cases, and therefore the death rate is not nearly as high of a percentage as it looks alongside only established cases. It could be only 1 in 5 cases are known of.

I think the numbers of this thing are misleading. I think considerably more people have it or had it that have not been tested. Meaning there are a whole lot of asymptomatic and pretty mild cases, and therefore the death rate is not nearly as high of a percentage as it looks alongside only established cases. It could be only 1 in 5 cases are known of.

I tend to agree with you but we can't determine the mortality rate unless we also know the morbidity rate.

Are any of you watching any cheesy/silly movies to get a giggle out of during these hard times?

Just been watching "Hard Ticket to Hawaii" - a movie considered by Paste Magazine to be the "Best B Movie of all time".
Definitely not for kids as there's a fair amount of nudity and gore, but its one of those films that's bad for both the funniest and most awesome reasons; Heck, two of the heroes kill a skateboarding bad guy by ramming him with their car before - while he's still flying through the air - blasting him with a rocket launcher.

Highlights how fortunate I currently am. Shifts perspective.

Did the same before I went to the grocery. Elderly couple, possibly eighties, mobile and two houses down from me. I stopped by, no activity this past week. We spoke through the door, she's a retired nurse, he's not in great health. They are completely stocked and don't need anything. They smiled and waved at me, standing outside in a mask and gloves.

I tend to agree with you but we can't determine the mortality rate unless we also know the morbidity rate.

Couldn't agree more. For this very reason it may be a misnomer to statistically compare infection rates with the US and Italy.

Italy has different demographic considerations to contend with. Where 23% of their population is over the age of 65 while the US has only 16% of their population over 65. And culturally speaking, the youth of Italy tend to interact far more with older people than compared with the US. And of course, all those other conditions such as heart disease, diabetes, asthma and many other conditions statistically vary in comparison. There are also more obvious considerations such as total population and population density. Italy being a much smaller land mass with 60 million people compared to the US with some 327 million.

Why the Coronavirus Hit Italy So Hard

You would think isolation would not have impacted me since there really hasn't been that much change for me. But why am I so tired? Why do I feel like it has had such an impact? It's kind of weird. And it's all mindset.

It's like my mind makes decisions and that's it. (In the past, not current) I had to change the way I kept the grandkids overnight. I had to go from me picking them up then the parents coming to get them, to them dropping them off and me taking them home. Reason? My mindset was that if the parents said they'd be here around noon to pick them up, then in my mind I was done at noon and parents always being late it was driving me crazy. Mentally I was done because noon was what was agreed upon and noon is when my mind said I was done. When I take them home I've had no set time and it's closer to evening when I take them home because they're still having a good time and I'm in no rush. Big difference, but only because that's how my mind works. And I'm unable to convince myself otherwise.

My normal life is staying home and nothing has changed with that. I prefer being home. But since my family has made it clear that I am to take precautions and remain isolated, my son and daughter in law pick up anything I might need, so on and so forth. I see them - more distanced. I talk to them on the phone and video chat with grandkids. It's been a perfect world for me. My problem is that my mindset has made me more limited. My box , even here at home in my comfort zone, is tight and I can't make myself do things I normally do. Things haven't changed much for me, but I feel like it has. My comfort zone has gotten smaller in my apartment, I don't feel the freedom to step outside my door or be comfortable in all parts of my apartment. I've not been on here much - and I don't know why because my comfort zone has shrunk to my desk area only. Maybe it's the stress that has tightened my box, I don't know.

And I've learned that it's really hard when someone shops for you. If I was at the grocery store, it involves some planning and decision making. If I can't get white bread then why bother getting bananas because banana sandwiches are only good on white bread. I keep telling them IF they have white bread, to pick up a loaf for me. My son has now brought me 3 packs of the Hawaiin rolls. They're good and they're great with chicken salad sandwiches, but I've still got plenty of rolls. So yesterday I was brought bananas and more Hawaiin rolls. I express my gratitude because I know my son is doing such a good thing for me. But at the same time - arghhhhhh! That's just one example. I'm going to have to sneak out before long and go find the stuff I want that goes together. My daughter in law knows me and knows how I shop and sometimes will bring me things she knows I try to keep on hand. How do you make a list with a bunch of if's and expect someone else to go to the grocery store and shop like you would shop? Not to mention them having to take the time out of their schedules to go up and down the aisles when you're sitting at home doing nothing?

So curious, how is all this impacting you?
And in no way is this a comparison on who has it worse - I realize these are small issues and so many people out there have been impacted terribly by all this, and by no means am I saying my inconveniences even compares with what others are going through. But whether big or small, I'd like to hear from you. We're all in this together.

Oh - I think I've also made a few enemies at church. They won't close and act like it's an unforgivable sin if they do because we shouldn't let fear of a virus keep us home. Then I'll comment that death does not scare me, nor does the virus, but I do not want to be responsible for carrying the virus to someone who ends up gasping for oxygen, while laying in ICU amongst nothing but machines around them, no visitors allowed and spending their last 2-4 weeks here on this earth like that. (I don't get responses while people who agree with them do).

In again attempting to forage for toilet paper, tissues and paper towels, I discovered a problem with my car that requires professional attention. As an "essential business" I know the dealer is open, and my car is still in warranty. Those aren't the concerns. It's riding back in a shuttle van to get home while they work in my car that concerns me.

Going out and being about I have some control over keeping people physically away from me. But riding in a courtesy shuttle van...made worse if there are other customers riding with me. Not a good prospect. Made worse with rising infection rates each day. I figure I have a tight window for taking care of this. Do it now and risk the consequences, as opposed to waiting where the exposure may get worse. And of course, in a few more months my car will be out of warranty.

Ugh. This is one trip to the mechanic I am not happy about.

So much for that. The service dept. is closed until further notice.

Last edited:
In again attempting to forage for toilet paper, tissues and paper towels, I discovered a problem with my car that requires professional attention. As an "essential business" I know the dealer is open, and my car is still in warranty. Those aren't the concerns. It's riding back in a shuttle van to get home while they work in my car that concerns me.

Going out and being about I have some control over keeping people physically away from me. But riding in a courtesy shuttle van...made worse if there are other customers riding with me. Not a good prospect. Made worse with rising infection rates each day. I figure I have a tight window for taking care of this. Do it now and risk the consequences, as opposed to waiting where the exposure may get worse. And of course, in a few more months my car will be out of warranty.

Ugh. This is one trip to the mechanic I am not happy about.

Due to the extenuating circumstances, can they provide you with a courtesy car? That way, you'd be able to drive there in isolation in your own car (if possible) and drive home in their car and return it when yours is ready for collection.

Alternatively, the garage could pick your car up and deliver a courtesy car when they do the pick up.

Due to the extenuating circumstances, would you ask if they can provide you with a courtesy car? That way, you'd be able to drive there in isolation in your own car (if possible) and drive home in their car and return it when yours is ready for collection.

Alternatively, the garage could pick your car up and deliver a courtesy car when they do the pick up.

They aren't even doing servicing. Found out from accessing them online as no one is answering the phones. Unless something else happens I can safely drive the car, but the issues involved could be astronomically expensive to fix if may warranty runs out. Of course that's assuming I'm still alive in the future.

"It's a wonderful day in the neighborhood"....

Do it now and risk the consequences, as opposed to waiting where the exposure may get worse. And of course, in a few more months my car will be out of warranty.

That's a hard one. You need both a car and to stay safe. I think exposure will get worse in coming few weeks as more people get infected so I'd opt to go now ASAP, protect the warranty, and get it over with. But that's just my totally non-expert opinion. Take all precautions you can - maybe ask that all of the car windows be rolled down so lots of fresh ventilation instead of recirculated air.

Another possibilty is whether the repair shop will come to your home to pick up the car and return it to you when repaired. They might be willing to do that. You can decon the car when you get it back.

Oops.. Didn't see earlier responses about it.

That's a hard one. You need both a car and to stay safe. I think exposure will get worse in coming few weeks as more people get infected so I'd opt to go now ASAP, protect the warranty, and get it over with. But that's just my totally non-expert opinion. Take all precautions you can - maybe ask that all of the car windows be rolled down so lots of fresh ventilation instead of recirculated air.

Another possibilty is whether the repair shop will come to your home to pick up the car and return it to you when repaired. They might be willing to do that. You can decon the car when you get it back.

Oops.. Didn't see earlier responses about it.

Yeah any options on my part were taken away. I should have seen this coming. Seems like everyone is shutting down, regardless of the terms government wants.

At least I can still operate my car, but some of the computerized safety gizmos aren't working. Just hope nothing else goes wrong.

But the good news? I managed to get 4 rolls of toilet paper, two tiny cube-shaped boxes of tissues, and two rolls of paper towels. Everything's being rationed now, one package each to a customer.

You would think isolation would not have impacted me since there really hasn't been that much change for me. But why am I so tired? Why do I feel like it has had such an impact? It's kind of weird. And it's all mindset.

It's like my mind makes decisions and that's it. (In the past, not current) I had to change the way I kept the grandkids overnight. I had to go from me picking them up then the parents coming to get them, to them dropping them off and me taking them home. Reason? My mindset was that if the parents said they'd be here around noon to pick them up, then in my mind I was done at noon and parents always being late it was driving me crazy. Mentally I was done because noon was what was agreed upon and noon is when my mind said I was done. When I take them home I've had no set time and it's closer to evening when I take them home because they're still having a good time and I'm in no rush. Big difference, but only because that's how my mind works. And I'm unable to convince myself otherwise.

My normal life is staying home and nothing has changed with that. I prefer being home. But since my family has made it clear that I am to take precautions and remain isolated, my son and daughter in law pick up anything I might need, so on and so forth. I see them - more distanced. I talk to them on the phone and video chat with grandkids. It's been a perfect world for me. My problem is that my mindset has made me more limited. My box , even here at home in my comfort zone, is tight and I can't make myself do things I normally do. Things haven't changed much for me, but I feel like it has. My comfort zone has gotten smaller in my apartment, I don't feel the freedom to step outside my door or be comfortable in all parts of my apartment. I've not been on here much - and I don't know why because my comfort zone has shrunk to my desk area only. Maybe it's the stress that has tightened my box, I don't know.

And I've learned that it's really hard when someone shops for you. If I was at the grocery store, it involves some planning and decision making. If I can't get white bread then why bother getting bananas because banana sandwiches are only good on white bread. I keep telling them IF they have white bread, to pick up a loaf for me. My son has now brought me 3 packs of the Hawaiin rolls. They're good and they're great with chicken salad sandwiches, but I've still got plenty of rolls. So yesterday I was brought bananas and more Hawaiin rolls. I express my gratitude because I know my son is doing such a good thing for me. But at the same time - arghhhhhh! That's just one example. I'm going to have to sneak out before long and go find the stuff I want that goes together. My daughter in law knows me and knows how I shop and sometimes will bring me things she knows I try to keep on hand. How do you make a list with a bunch of if's and expect someone else to go to the grocery store and shop like you would shop? Not to mention them having to take the time out of their schedules to go up and down the aisles when you're sitting at home doing nothing?

So curious, how is all this impacting you?
And in no way is this a comparison on who has it worse - I realize these are small issues and so many people out there have been impacted terribly by all this, and by no means am I saying my inconveniences even compares with what others are going through. But whether big or small, I'd like to hear from you. We're all in this together.

Oh - I think I've also made a few enemies at church. They won't close and act like it's an unforgivable sin if they do because we shouldn't let fear of a virus keep us home. Then I'll comment that death does not scare me, nor does the virus, but I do not want to be responsible for carrying the virus to someone who ends up gasping for oxygen, while laying in ICU amongst nothing but machines around them, no visitors allowed and spending their last 2-4 weeks here on this earth like that. (I don't get responses while people who agree with them do).

LOL, I can relate. Everyday cooking has become like being a contestant on the TV show "Chopped". o_O I ponder what the heck can I make from an odd assortment of ingredients, trying to use up perishables before they rot, how to conserve precious commodities to make them last longer. I just froze our last half gallon of milk and chopped and froze 3 bell peppers.

I've been short-tempered recently, I'm sure due to the stress and isolation. I also have not been anywhere or spoken to any human being face to face for over 2 weeks, other than my husband, and my sister and her family across the back fence that separates our yards from a distance of at least 20 feet.

New Threads

Top Bottom