• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What effect is the pandemic having on your mental health?

• It is making it easier

Votes: 16 24.6%
  • It is making it harder

Votes: 49 75.4%

• Total voters
Just posted this photo in another forum earlier in the week, memories of a road trip into southern Alberta, very close to the American border, while driving through a very remote region... A photo from a couple of years ago...

View attachment 68803

I went to Alberta as a kid.. I was born and raised in BC, and I kind of find the lack of mountains unsettling.. What's the opposite of claustrophobia? It's too much open space for me.. lol

I don't know what that was supposed to help with.. lol
Neither Sherlock nor I are in Ontario.
Although I'm sure the numbers are similar across the country, I'm still not sure what you're getting at with that spreadsheet of numbers.
fortunately statistics by their nature can be extrapolated. Easter dinner was not a good idea vaccines are. long weekends were not an issue as people were outside.

Easter dinner was not a good idea vaccines are.

Lol, ok. If that's what you were going for with the spreadsheet, I totally agree! :D

I sort of figure once the majority of people have both their vaccines, we should just reopen all of North America at least.. There'll probably be another wave where ~2% of the unvaccinated will die off, and then we can all just move on from there. This slowly pulling off the band-aid approach I find counter-productive.

I live in a city called Brampton, has a high south Indian population They and northern Europeans most likely to catch Covid. Genetic component to who gets sick and dies. Srangest thing is a sister city call Mississauaga right next door to us similar similar size has half the rate of Covid. different ethinic mix both bedroom communities to Toronto
I do not play games, prefer , real life puzzles of which Covid is.

Last edited:
We happen to have spend the Pandemic in Mexico. The original plan was to travel back to the US, and stay for two years. Life had other plans. As we watched the vaccines come available, Sinovac, AstraV, Sputnik just didn't quite fit the type of protection we sought. In addition to that, when sparse opportunities came for Pfizer, the sense of these vaccines being mishandled, and unlikeliness of our getting a second dose on time or at all, left us unsettled. Therefore, we decided to travel back to the US for our 2 dose vaccine of Pfizer.

A good number of people in the US, don't quite realize just how privileged they are. I was quite shocked at how many vaccine appts were open.

We received our second dose Wednesday... Which involved an in and out one day flight. Grabbed a huge inventory of Dog supplies to bring back to Mexico... As it will take at least 2-4 months till we head home to the East Coast.

I was rather shocked at how we didn't even feel the needle. Not at all. Furthermore the only symptoms were a sore arm that for a day had an ache when being raised, and a few days of fatigue, which seem to be repeating with the second dose.

It took bravery for me to fly. I have ear issues on past flights, but oddly not these two. I also have flight anxiety, and managed to control my thoughts and just plow through. I (as usual) was the person organizing, flight, testing prior to, paperwork, uber, schedule... on and on... husband was the back up. I guess at moments like this I find a certain power kicks in, mostly with my Aspie quirks in full tilt - for how in H would I juggle all this while spending energy on that- yeash! I plow through all stuff... though yeah every now and then I hear my husband in the background saying watch how you speak, or look at people... I said they don't have to understand my voice, I smile, say thanks and tip.

We returned just in time to see on the news, how the top Sinovac researcher died of Covid, and yet a good 50% of expats in Mexico have received Sinovac and walking and partying like they are now free.

Makes me wonder much. I think I shall remain masked, for who needs to help this thing mutate further, even if we are lucky and were asymptomatic.. count me out on that!

Lol, ok. If that's what you were going for with the spreadsheet, I totally agree! :D

I sort of figure once the majority of people have both their vaccines, we should just reopen all of North America at least.. There'll probably be another wave where ~2% of the unvaccinated will die off, and then we can all just move on from there. This slowly pulling off the band-aid approach I find counter-productive.
Going to stage 3 tomorrow, will watch my statistics the ubvaccinated will start to mix big time with the delta vatiant should see results in a a blip few days.

Remain unvaccinated and risk death. Still a matter of choice, though not a very good one.

Seems things have gone from impassioned pleas to get vaccinated, to emphasizing your next of kin.

Last edited:
Like I tell people numbers do not have opinions, information is power. I really get off using statistics a very rigorous branch of mathematics to do basic analysis. very powerful.

I was just curious how you have dealt with social interactions with family during the COVID-19 pandemic.

My wife and I met members of her family for dinner at a brewery, and then went to a bar on July 30th. No one was masked or social distancing. It was the only time I have been out in probably a year, and I knew better. My brother and his wife became symptomatic for the Delta variant within three days, and we’re probably already contagious when we met. My wife and I became symptomatic three days later, and tested positive the next day. I developed a moderate/severe case that lasted 14 days. My oxygen level fell into the mid-80% range, andI feel lucky to have survived.

My wife’s family is defiant to prove that the pandemic will not stop them from socializing. They were back at it last night bar hopping, but we stayed home. I can not even comment about her family’s behavior around my wife, because she feels her family can do no wrong. Instead she calls me a “weird hermit”. How do you deal with such conflicts? I am afraid to be in contact with anyone from her family, and at times I am afraid to be in contact with my wife. It seems like the world has gone mad!

Interactions with my family result in a meltdown/shutdown response so in that respect I am guess I am lucky because it is not an issue I need to deal with.

The hospitals are only open to those that had Covid vaccination? Why are they in the hospital then? Just to comingle with other strains of Covid?

I was just curious how you have dealt with social interactions with family during the COVID-19 pandemic.

My wife and I met members of her family for dinner at a brewery, and then went to a bar on July 30th. No one was masked or social distancing. It was the only time I have been out in probably a year, and I knew better. My brother and his wife became symptomatic for the Delta variant within three days, and we’re probably already contagious when we met. My wife and I became symptomatic three days later, and tested positive the next day. I developed a moderate/severe case that lasted 14 days. My oxygen level fell into the mid-80% range, andI feel lucky to have survived.

My wife’s family is defiant to prove that the pandemic will not stop them from socializing. They were back at it last night bar hopping, but we stayed home. I can not even comment about her family’s behavior around my wife, because she feels her family can do no wrong. Instead she calls me a “weird hermit”. How do you deal with such conflicts? I am afraid to be in contact with anyone from her family, and at times I am afraid to be in contact with my wife. It seems like the world has gone mad!

I hear you... I'm on the fence on this one

Where I live in Alberta things did open up over the summer, starting July 1st, things were going well and even some of the things I enjoy started coming back, music, culture, events in general... I am fully vaccinated since back in the spring, but so many other people (enough of them) won't get vaccinated at all, and I feel like I'm being held hostage by those people...

And I'm afraid of more restrictions yet again, killing any hope of any return to normal, and the events I enjoy... I am a person who just can't sit inside all day, I would go crazy...

And I'm afraid that something as simple as a small concert at a tiny cafe will never come back properly, and (even as an Aspie) face to face conversation is so important to me, I don't mean over a computer screen (ugh!)

Our local camera club and another club I belong to tried to bring back live meetings for this month, instead rising Covid numbers caused us to go back online yet again... *sigh*

I just don't want five years of this kind of lifestyle, constantly living under restrictions, and I'm afraid that's what the future looks like... *sigh*

I just hate how much the world has become polarized and divisive in the last couple years of Covid

As I passed through an anti-vaccine passport protest on the weekend, saw at least one person I know fairly well, surprised to see him there... We had a discussion about his views on the topic... Yet I sometimes feel like I'm on pins and needles whenever the topic comes up, am I going to offend someone in the process? Especially with people I know... Am I going to offend them enough that they won't talk to me anymore?

I'm a person who tries to respect other people and their beliefs, and it has become so much harder to do that now...

Screw this pandemic.
I used to go to several 12 step meetings a week. The telemeetings are a parody of the face to face meetings. I need face to face contact. But this (insert favorite explitive here) pandemic has hampered that. I feel more than just a bit lost here in this era of Zoom and telemeetings.

I am annoyed by this.

Are there government restrictions preventing you from going to places you want to go? Or is it personal beliefs that are stopping you?

Ed

So the meetings are all online still? There's still a lot of the virus circulating and the vaccinations programme is still underway I think? The deaths have been high and will continue until the virus is brought under control by vaccines and other measures. Even then of course as we know from flu and other viruses it'll still be dangerous. However seems like your country is getting to grips with it.

Things are better than they were, a lot of progress has been made. It's frustrating you can't go to 12 steps in person though. Do they have mentors or phone contact options? What more personal support and contact could you get? Are there socially distanced walks with a mentor for example? I know a lot of mental health appointments have gone online here. Physio appointments seem to be happening in person. In UK we do have some indoor meetings starting to resume.

How can you get more contact and support?

So the meetings are all online still? There's still a lot of the virus circulating and the vaccinations programme is still underway I think? The deaths have been high and will continue until the virus is brought under control by vaccines and other measures. Even then of course as we know from flu and other viruses it'll still be dangerous. However seems like your country is getting to grips with it.
Note that the United Arab Emirates, the most vaccinated of all major sovereign nations, has a population of over 9 million and recorded only 79 new cases today.

Hang in there! You are doing great so far. Don't allow this frustration to become an excuse to back slide. Are there other outlets you can participate in?
What about suggesting to your group to meet somewhere you can doing your meeting socially distanced? Can you meet outdoors or is it too cold? Maybe a school would let you use their gym? Or a church?

I used to go to several 12 step meetings a week. The telemeetings are a parody of the face to face meetings. I need face to face contact. But this (insert favorite explitive here) pandemic has hampered that. I feel more than just a bit lost here in this era of Zoom and telemeetings.

I am annoyed by this.
Love you man.

Keep reaching out. This too shall pass. The Spanish flu killed millions and it only lasted a few short years without any intervention measures hardly at all. Time to start training again! Home gym time homeboy! Barbells are the little ones, I work out on an old mattress, it's great for situps and lifting too

New Threads

Top Bottom