• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What effect is the pandemic having on your mental health?

• It is making it easier

Votes: 16 24.6%
  • It is making it harder

Votes: 49 75.4%

• Total voters
As a small child in a Navy household, I was inoculated in the 50s for well, just about everything. Seriously. Had to move to the tropics. Though no one ever gave me the option of not taking them...LOL.

To date, I have no third nipple, no horns and am in reasonably good health. Somehow I doubt being inoculated for one virus is gonna kill me. Pfizer, allergies and old age withstanding. Ok, ya got me there. Old age stands a fair chance of killing me. What? You wanna live forever? :p

It was the 60s for me and they had a couple of years where they missed many of us with the MMR shots - this does make me nervous since I never got one. Worked at a hospital a few years and was just really careful who’s rooms I went into and how to suit up for the occasion.

It was the 60s for me and they had a couple of years where they missed many of us with the MMR shots - this does make me nervous since I never got one. Worked at a hospital a few years and was just really careful who’s rooms I went into and how to suit up for the occasion.

Mom made sure I got those through a civilian source some years later. Glad she did too.

Mom made sure I got those through a civilian source some years later. Glad she did too.

Wish I could. With age and medical conditions my doc tells me to just stay away from people lol. We have three big dogs, and I like them more than most people I meet in real life lol!

A friend posted this on her social media tonight, she has had a very difficult year as a teacher's aide... I'm struggling with what she wrote, she is a good friend...
Within the last year I have taken some chances, and by my own admission been in some big crowds last year, most notably evening classic car cruise events... It's what kept me going mentally (being single and living on my own, the isolation), and I'm once again staring down a severe lack of events, classic car events, or other events too, for the second summer now? Will they ever come back? It's starting to depress me... But more to the point, I have likely taken more chances than I should have in the last year, but still have been mindful of being careful in the process... At a large enough evening classic car cruise event, avoiding the larger section of the crowd and watching my distance as much as I could, but still being there... Should I have stayed away entirely? That would have depressed me too (not being there), because classic car events was all I had last summer... It just has me thinking a little...

Anyway what she posted...

"Please remember that being vaccinated against COVID does NOT mean:
- you won’t get sick
- you can’t pass it on
- you won’t have to quarantine if exposed.
The vaccines reduce the severity of the disease if you do contract it. So, while you may feel fine you CAN STILL pass it on to others.
I am now in my 7th or 8th isolation (can’t honestly remember). Only 8 school days after schools re-opened. This pandemic is NOT over yet. I do not know the circumstances surrounding the close-contact so I will not judge. BUT for those who are tired of having their freedom imposed upon, etc. the best thing you, and everyone, can do is follow ALL the guidelines and recommendations even after you’ve been vaccinated.
I would love to have a summer! Heck I would have loved to have been able to watch our son graduate in person this year instead of via Zoom. I get this is “hard”. We all have to continue to work together to keep this pandemic from dragging out any further.
You want proof that early easing of the restrictions doesn’t work ... just look at our case numbers 3-4 weeks after an easing or after a major holiday.
ritain, Australia, and New Zealand had a significantly stronger and longer full shut down and as a result are already hosting live concerts and sporting events. We have to be willing to delay the gratification for this fight to be successful.
Mental and emotional health has been talked about a lot lately, well imagine the mental amd emotional struggles of a kid and thier family or any one working in education who never really knows when they will be going back online or not. If they will finish the school year with their friend’s or not. Or, now because they have to be at home to watch their isolating student how they are going to work and pay the bills. This is STILL, and always should be, a time when we consider others.
I am sad to be missing my son’s graduation presentation at church with a friend he has known since he was 6 months old. But at least I can work from home amd still support my family. AND I have an AMAZING hubby amd kids who are (unfortunately) so used to me isolating that they know the return and how best to keep me smiling.
1f495.png
"

A lot of people take off and put back on a face mask touching it with their hands that they haven't washed or used hand sanitizer on

Have you had covid-19?
If so, describe how it was, and did you get the vaccine?

Now before anyone says anything because I asked how it feels, then yeah. I know it sucks. But I just wanted to know from someone who has had it. :openmouth:

I never actually got it... as far as I know... but I very likely was at least exposed to it very early on. When the crazed Toilet Paper Rush of 2020 happened here in the US, I went out to various stores to stock up on things like TP and soap. And stood in slow-moving lines. This was before masks were really a thing.

Not one of my brighter moments, really.

My nephew (age 2) did get it though. You know, toddler day-care sorts of places, basically germ factories, so he catches basically everything. But he was fine, it didnt seem to hit him hard.

I did get the vaccine later on, as soon as I could. The kid is the only one without it right now (because he's too young).

I had it early on. Actually, it moved through my whole house a couple of times. The first round was the worst for me. A slight fever that lasted about 12 hours, kind of flu-like, but actually felt like I had hard, glass-like areas in my lungs. Still, I was able to take care of it in a week at home, no serious issues. Kicked it in 2 days the second round, and was exposed a third time with no illness. I did get the J&J vaccine a year later (March this year), and had a nice response to it, so I figure I'm well-protected now. Still, I know it won't affect me too harshly, and I know how to kick it, so I'm not too scared for myself at this point.

Both my son's had it. One son has an auto-immune system disease... he had a pretty high fever, cough, stomach problems and some breathing problems, but it was early when the virus first came and no one had any testing kits, so the hospital tested him for the flu and for pneumonia and sent him home and told him to isolate for two weeks. He didn't get back to normal for about 3 weeks.

My other son had it and had a mild fever some coughing and stomach problems but no trouble breathing and was over it in only a couple of days. He got tested and it was positive. He did lose his taste for about a week.

None of us have taken the vaccine.

One of my friends told me that he was in a pub and although the bar staff touch the glass to our and to place the glass onto a try, they demanded he lift the glass of the tray, why?

Some have blossomed I hope to see bees and birds soon. I also enjoy feeding pigeons seeds. I feel sad if I see a pigeon with an injured foot and want to help them. It's cool as some recognise me now as I go most days.

First time in the stores l spoke up and told people to give me some personal space. Forced me out of my comfort zone and to speak up when we were on the 6 feet thing. So now l feel better in the stores, l know l have a voice and stand up for myself.

From a combination of my own experience and from people telling me, I don't believe everyone is staying at home if they have a continuous cough. Even if it wasn't times of covid, I would like people to stay at home unless for essential reasons as not to spread the cold.

From the perspective of a health care worker, I know my co-workers spent the better part of a year horribly overworked, stressed, wearing all that miserably hot personal protective equipment, the daily deaths, knowing that whatever they do might not matter,...it is written all over their faces, their body language, the talk or the lack thereof in the break room at change of shift. We are experiencing a "mass exodus" of staff members,...like greater than 20% have left for less stressful jobs,...and there aren't enough replacements,...leaving the remainder to pick up the extra work,...and it is not a good environment for anyone. We were short-staffed going into this pandemic,...it's critical right now. That's what is happening "on-the-ground" right now. The US health care system is in a precarious position,...the calm before the storm if the flu and/or coronaviruses hit again in the Fall,...it could just collapse the system as we know it. Plenty of beds,...not enough health care workers.

Other than wearing masks and not being able to go out like we normally did, travel, etc....things really haven't changed for us other than being "inconvenienced". That said, our children are adults and we don't have the extra burden of finding child care, transitioning from work at home to work at the office again, etc.

New Threads

Top Bottom