• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What effect is the pandemic having on your mental health?

• It is making it easier

Votes: 16 24.6%
  • It is making it harder

Votes: 49 75.4%

• Total voters
I'm finding being on my own most of the time sad and difficult. I used to spend a lot of time with my parents when they were alive. I have no brothers and sisters and have lost touch with Aunts, uncles and cousins. I had been going to the aspergers charity drop-in where I'm registered before covid. (I like to be on my own sometimes but not as much as I have been since the drop-in closed due to covid).

hang in there hopfully things will improve soon, lost my parents and a brother in the last few years. price of getting older, we have been in lockdown since november sucks.

*sigh* Sliding back into more restrictions

Looks like another summer of boredom, likely no major events once again this summer, I predict that many of your/my favourite events may not survive past this summer if they are forced to take a second summer off, then won't be around when restrictions lift... I'm afraid for a loss of culture that I've already seen... And I don't want to know what it will look like in the future

I know artists and musicians who have been decimated, barely hanging on... I think most events have probably already decided to cancel, eyeballing the car show season which won't happen this year...

Just getting hard to stay positive, and I'm seeing lots of fatigue around me... At the same time trying to be sensitive to legitimate health issues and deaths... Just struggling with what seems like a lost year for everything

"Adapting" to change, something my friend always tells me, and told me tonight in light of new restrictions

He seems to be totally fine with everything happening, and he's as single as I am (we both live on our own, he is 75, I'm a mere 49)

I'm struggling, and have all along, with adapting to all the change of the last year... I have missed all the activities of life that kept me going for many years.

And maybe I'm just impatient, and I think I need to ponder what if the future looks completely different from what happened prior to March 2020, how to adapt...

I miss the giant classic car show every September where over 1000 cars cram into a small town for one day, the atmosphere of that... I still think back to September 2019 when car show season ended with a whimper with snow and cold, the last time that show was a large show was 2017, because 2018 was a rainy one with much smaller number, 2019 was a blizzard with apparently 20 cars showing up, I wasn't there

Then instead of a solid start, spring 2020 arrived with major Covid restrictions and cancellations of all car shows and other events that I love, I still feel like I'm trying to make up for that snowstorm 2019 car show, which I never can...

Adapt; Which could also mean being more flexible and perhaps a fear of change as well... And yes, I'm still struggling with all of this.

Have you all gotten the vaccine? Please share our stories!

Have you all gotten the vaccine? Please share our stories!
My husband got his first, since he is 65, and I got my first one (Moderna) last Monday. The worse that I experienced was a sore arm, then a few days later my skin felt weird, like it had been scalded. I go back in about a month for the second vaccine then I can maybe start riding public transportation again (with a mask of course!)

Interesting article on susceptibility to COVID 19.

Quite interesting, thank you for linking it. Spent an hour reading it twice and tripped over the neanderthal gene as the single biggest risk factor, fascinating:

Do Neanderthal genes increase the risk of COVID-19?
The answer is yes. In fact, the presence of a Neanderthal gene is the single biggest genetic risk factor for the novel coronavirus, roughly doubling the likelihood of getting the virus, according to a June 2020 study by researchers in Germany and Japan, Hugo Zeberg and Svante Pääbo.

Also this:
a common but mistaken belief among those suspicious of genetic research is that those who argue that population genetics should play a critical role in assessing disease susceptibility embrace the discredited belief that genes determine outcomes. By this facile argument, if genes are implicated in susceptibility/resistance to coronavirus, they must override everything else.

I'm getting depressed again, it's looking like another lost summer...

The Edmonton Folk Music Festival just cancelled for a second year, all other festivals will fall like domino's now, guaranteed... Yet another boring summer, people need something to celebrate, and it will effect mental health... A computer screen does not come even close to replacing watching live music... *sigh*

Plus the world is on fire, riots everywhere, instability everywhere... I even tend to think that events around the BLM movement is somehow related to the Pandemic...

It's all just depressing me :( And I'm having trouble seeing the light at the end of the tunnel... I'm fearful the world and how we interact has changed forever, will there be any more large shows of any sort, was pre-2020 the last time anything big happened?

Back to the topic of change again... I just don't want a world where that large classic car show can never happen again, or a vibrant street festival, the energy of events like that drive me (I know I'm a strange autistic person for even saying that :rolleyes:)

Last edited:
I live in Ontario Canada region of Peel the worst hit area in Canada. been in lockdown since before
christmas. Things slowly getting worse.

I'm fully vaccinated with Moderna because that is what my doctor had available at the time of my appointment. Had a sore arm for one day from both shots but no other discernable symptoms. The shot itself is virtually painless.

Now that I'm vax'd, I have a much higher degree of confidence that I can survive Covid if I get it.

Tonight I'm attending my 50th class reunion at a huge antebellum mansion in the town where I went to school. One of our classmates died of covid last summer; I posted about her on this website when I learned of her death. I'm sure we will be remembering her tonight, and everyone will be careful not to create a super-spreader event as the world has seen with funerals, weddings, restaurants, parties, etc.

As a female in her early thirties with autism, this pandemic has hit me really hard. I don’t work and don’t get a lot of social interaction with others because my friends have very busy lives. I do see my family, best friend who also has autism and go to church, but I feel like sometimes I am cast to the side. I love seeing people smile and now that we can’t because of the mask I feel unvalued because I don’t see people’s smiles or see people much. I know I am may being a little black and white but can anyone with autism relate?

New Threads

Top Bottom