• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What effect is the pandemic having on your mental health?

• It is making it easier

Votes: 16 24.6%
  • It is making it harder

Votes: 49 75.4%

• Total voters
They aren't specifically designed to prevent transmission, but that doesn't automatically mean they won't. I've read it's just not known yet how it will work; you might be vaccinated, pick up the virus and it takes your immune system a day or two to kill it off and you might still be able to pass it on to others for just those couple of days.

But it's not like it won't slow the spread. On average it take 5-7 days to develop symptoms, sometimes as long as 14, and you're still spreading it before it becomes obvious that you have it! It WILL provide protection to others, we just don't know for sure exactly how much just yet. It's a new situation. ANY vaccine has the chance of lessening a sickness instead of 100% preventing it, depending on your immune system.

But if 70% become vaccinated, it will be enough to tamp down the pandemic. The whole idea of a vaccine is that it pre-engages your immune system so it doesn't have to build up its own response all by itself. And that makes you less dangerous to others once you're exposed, because you're fighting it off much more effectively.

A question (of sorts) for anyone reading this, because I have a wrestling match in my head...

I've expressed on here before (this thread) about how much I miss going to events related to the arts scene, or even events in general, festivals of sorts... One year ago I would have been thinking of heading over to a local cafe to catch the open mic, get myself out of the house, listen to some music, chat with some people I know there, etc... Right now, effectively one year later I'm stuck at home, writing this post, because there is nowhere to go!

And last year (this same weekend) was a large downtown winter event that I went to, just simply something to celebrate, have fun at, one of the last big events I was at period... And this year, nothing...

Point being, there was something to celebrate

On the flip side, I am fully aware of the health toll of Covid and the deaths, and even how much it has had an effect on everyone, and even the possible (probable) need for degrees of lockdowns, yet as time passes more and more into basically one year now, I'm getting more and more depressed from doing nothing, nothing to even celebrate

My feeling is that many have drawn comparisons to past wars, even some that are fairly current, none of them had practices that kept people apart, you could still shake a person's hand, or hug a friend, even in the midst of war... There is so much coming out that is drawing concern to the increased mental health concerns of isolation, having nothing to do, and even no one to see, which no war has ever demanded of us

Plus my concerns over the economy, related to health effects this might sound selfish, but how long will a favourite coffee shop or restaurant survive for, and I am looking for work, so yes concerned about finding work

And then I hear on the news about concerns over the new variants, some in the media talk about a third wave in the spring, just in time for when some outdoor events could maybe happen

With due respect to the health issues, which are real, the world needs celebrations soon, another summer with no festivals would devastate many people, I suspect many festivals might not survive two summers of closure

My thoughts bounce back and forth a lot, and I do try to respect the health impacts, but I'm getting weary of having nothing and not even having an outlet to celebrate anything

Just to illustrate (not to pimp my photos :rolleyes:), but this was one year ago the last big event here, which was about four weeks before we locked down, will this ever happen again like this? I'm not so sure right now... I know some of you are cringing at this scene, but this is me in my element...

GLOW Festival 03.jpg

Attachments

• GLOW Festival 03.jpg
    GLOW Festival 03.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
^ I agree with you, Sherlock. Whether Covid was of natural origin or not, the stark fact is that Covid has ruined our lives as we've known them. If it wasn't of natural origin then there are perpetrators to be blamed for ruining the lives of all people on the planet; but that's a topic for another thread.

Like you, I've been thinking about this too. For example, freedom comes in many forms. Even if masks become the "new normal" and people resume celebrating together but with masks on, is that being as free as we once were? Would such celebrations feel as "free" as they once did? Or, would the visible mark of a mask hiding smiles damper our ability to revel completely in celebrations?

^ I agree with you, Sherlock. Whether Covid was of natural origin or not, the stark fact is that Covid has ruined our lives as we've known them. If it wasn't of natural origin then there are perpetrators to be blamed for ruining the lives of all people on the planet; but that's a topic for another thread.

Like you, I've been thinking about this too. For example, freedom comes in many forms. Even if masks become the "new normal" and people resume celebrating together but with masks on, is that being as free as we once were? Would such celebrations feel as "free" as they once did? Or, would the visible mark of a mask hiding smiles damper our ability to revel completely in celebrations?

There is a political Covid thread elsewhere on here for all that, I just hope my post wasn't deemed as political

I was just shouting about 'normality' with a test centre employee yesterday.
(I go for a weekly test)
I would have had a quiet conversation with them but I was 2m+ away so we both had to shout through our masks and visors.

It concerned my grandson who only arrived on the planet in late 2019.
Mask wearing loners, test centres and empty streets are a completely normal sight to him.
He's growing up without seeing groups of people as the norm'

No rowdy playgroups or germ infested Parent & Child groups to attend and build up his immunity.
(The shared toys were always covered in mucus, saliva and varicella zoster, as were some of the children) :)

He wont care much about it all because he knows no different. And if I'm honest, I'm not sure things will 'go back' exactly how they were anyway.

I think this pandemic has shaken loose a change in many people.
I think we'll all move forward from where we are now. Not back to where we may have once been.

I was just shouting about 'normality' with a test centre employee yesterday.
(I go for a weekly test)
I would have had a quiet conversation with them but I was 2m+ away so we both had to shout through our masks and visors.
I think this pandemic has shaken loose a change in many people.
I think we'll all move forward from where we are now. Not back to where we may have once been.

I just need live music, arts shows and museums to keep me going... Still not liking this virtual world we have been forced into, and I suspect most people don't (I could be wrong)...

I hope you are wrong @Gracey But maybe...

I'm so disappointed! The weather has deteriorated here so I doubt we will be able to get our Covid vaccinations on Tuesday. This winter storm has shut down everything. The roads are icy and too dangerous to drive on. The sleet has been coming down for many hours now, making it hard to walk outside. I have to steady my old German Shepperd so he won't slip on the ice when he goes outside to do his business. The cats don't want to go outside at all. We'll probably lose electricity soon as trees get weighted down with ice and start falling on power lines. Hubby had to reposition a heat lamp over the chickens' water to prevent it from freezing solid and to break the ice in the livestock water troughs for the horses and donkeys. Our state is totally unequipped to deal with snow and ice because it is so rare here that the expense of maintaining snow equipment or putting salt or sand on roads is not worth it.

I hope we can get new appointments for the vaccinations very soon. It was so hard to get appointments to begin with, and now this weather delay will make it even harder.

So I got the vaccine. And about bloody time, really. Well, I guess everyone can say that bit once they get it.

Anyway, I'm sorta posting this in the hopes of maybe helping out with any anxiety that some of you might have over it. Just to talk about the experience. Because if you're anything like me, you go into this sort of thing after a series of panic attacks.

Well, AS USUAL all that panicking was pointless. Seriously, you'd think I'd learn after the first 34948 times, but no. Always panic.

The thing really wasnt that bad. The shot is very likely to leave your arm in a good bit of pain (that sort of dull long-term pain as if you ran into a wall kinda hard), but... ehh. After all my nerve/tendon problems I've had WAY worse. It's mildly annoying at best. Countered with Tylenol pretty well.

Other than that, uh... nothing. Nothing at all. Well, no, some residual anxiety due to fears over side effects manifesting, but if you're going to get any, it'll be pretty darned soon after getting the shot. I'm well past that point now.

My father and stepmother also got it, and while they did have side effects, it wasnt anything scary. My stepmother felt real tired for a time and went and took a nap, and then was totally normal the rest of the day. My father felt a good bit of weirdness.... but he was also coming down from a VERY strong prescription dose of Tramadol due to recent surgery. His theory, which is likely correct, is that the wierdness wasnt from the shot, but was from that medication (seriously that pain med is strong enough to knock out an elephant and it's gonna do some funky things if you're being weaned off of a prescription of it).

So... yeah. That's been the experience for everyone in my family so far.

AKA, really nothing to worry about (even though I bloody well did worry).

Now granted, the whole thing can be different for everyone. But everything I've heard from those in the extended family who have gotten it is all super mild stuff. So that's good.

Anyway, uh... yeah, that's that.

Also this is with the Moderna one. I'm not too clear on what the differences are with the other brands. But hey, the info is out there for those that might want to research.

For those of you who are going to be getting it... good luck. I hope you're able to do it sooner rather than later.

Just came off having Covid myself. Glad your vaccinated Misery. Had you around for two weeks. Which it wasn't so bad until I lost my taste. That and the muscle aches.

I'm able to get it but the pharmacist asked me to wait so they could save them for the really old people. :eek:

It seems to be different in different areas, which I've found to be a bit odd.

I'm specifically in Illinois, near Chicago. Around here the elderly have been getting the shots for quite awhile now, and distributors and all those guys are gearing up for this giant place where they're planning on dishing out some ridiculous amount of doses per day, to lots of categories. Some super crazy number that sounds bloody impossible to me, but then what the heck do I know? The "group" that I fit into became eligible a few days ago. But it seems to have already gone past that even. My brother, who has no disability or anything, is set to get his later this week.

Yet in other areas, it seems like the progress is still very slow. Which I imagine must be amazingly frustrating. Hard to say WHY it's like that.

Well, here's hoping you'll be able to get a proper opportunity to get it sooner rather than later.

I will say though, that it is very good that the elderly have been able to get theirs sooner rather than later. My grandparents on my stepmother's side are... not doing so well, so they NEEDED this... and it's a relief for my grandmother on my mom's side to get it too. We'd all been worried about them for... well, this whole blasted year.

Just came off having Covid myself. Glad your vaccinated Misery. Had you around for two weeks. Which it wasn't so bad until I lost my taste. That and the muscle aches.

For the record, I would just like to state that muscle aches suuuuuuuuuuck. Doesnt matter what the cause is... it sucks. Granted it depends a bit on just what hurts, but... yeah. Sucks.

I had Covid back in April last year, so I've been waiting for the J&J to become available since I can wait thanks to natural immunity. Since I'm "high-risk" I'm eligible for any vaccine, but due to my medical profile I'm angling for the J&J over the others as I think its safer with my issues. Personal preference...thankfully I have some contacts in the medical field, so I can weasel my way in somewhere. My family are all anti-vaxxers, and I'm usually not one to willingly get a vaccine (I have medical exemption from all vaccines due to autoimmune issues), but I'm around other high-risk folks in touching distance on a regular basis, and I want to be able to hug my therapist without the stupid sheet between us again, so I'm gonna get this one shot.

It just seems like the socially responsible thing to do.

I think I caught it back in July and got a nasty fever that lasted for 4 days. Anyways, I got tested in august and although I did test negative for the virus. I did test positive for the antibodies. So at this time, I think I can hold off on getting the vaccine for a while since I may not need it at all and I would prefer that people that really need it can get it first.

I'm in UK and got my appointment yesterday for next week, AND my second appointment, for late May! I have to go to a big sports stadium. My friend's had it with no ill effects except a headache, that's the Pfizer one. My mother had it a while back, she's in her 90s, and she had no effects except a bit of tiredness. She had Pfizer too.

I've had the vaccine too. It was the AstraZeneca one.

It was just an injection in the arm, and I did not feel unwell afterwards, or had any side effects. However, some other people where I live have had flu like symptoms for a few days afterwards.

My mom got the Pfizer vaccine already and she was fine. I have a cousin who works in healthcare so she was first in line and she said that she felt "like lead" after the second shot but the feeling only lasted 24 hours or so. I will get it whenever I am asked, my medical clinic is scheduling people via a computer program that tells them when a certain patient is eligible.

I'm going to hold off a while on it, like a couple years most likely. Some of it by choice, some of it because they aren't even vaccinating anyone other than medical personnel where I am. I'm still skeptical of the whole thing since I haven't ever seen it. Maybe it will bite me in the ass, if it does so be it I guess. I know it's real, but I also still think it's overblown and devious. Maybe I'm just an idiot, I don't know. But one thing I do know is I refuse to live my life in fear or to do something because everyone else is doing it. I'll wear the mask and remain sanitary for as long as need be. I'm a cleanly person anyways and the mask helps me from having to fake smile all the time too.

I hope you remain in good health.

I'd rather get covid than rot in a nursing home, flu is referred to as the 'kind killer' in age care, ugh no vaccine for me. might be ok for the young if you don't plan on having kids.

New Threads

Top Bottom