• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What effect is the pandemic having on your mental health?

• It is making it easier

Votes: 16 24.6%
  • It is making it harder

Votes: 49 75.4%

• Total voters
I have that same problem with the mask rubbing my lower eyelid.

I'm not sure if they do any good or not. Many experts sure went back and forth about it. But I am willing to go through the motions. Fortunately I am not often in public areas where I have to wear one. And even then my stay in such a place is usually brief.

I have that same problem with the mask rubbing my lower eyelid.

I'm not sure if they do any good or not. Many experts sure went back and forth about it. But I am willing to go through the motions. Fortunately I am not often in public areas where I have to wear one. And even then my stay in such a place is usually brief.

There are many different kinds of masks available now so try to experiment to see which style is most comfortable for you. I have a big stack of cloth masks made for me by a seamstress using the sewing pattern downloaded from the CDC website. She is a friend of my sister and sells them for $5 each. We wear them once, then wash and dry them. I iron them to keep the pleats flat. I like the ones with ear loops but my husband likes the ones that tie behind his head because that is what he wore when he worked at the hospital. All of them are somewhat uncomfortable but we need to wear them when we are forced to be around other people.

My friend says that she knows it's time to do laundry by
the number of masks there are in the pile. She does errands
for a few older people and is out in public often.

My friend says that she knows it's time to do laundry by
the number of masks there are in the pile. She does errands
for a few older people and is out in public often.

Around here people just throw the used ones on the street. They may have even over-taken the Tim Horton's cup for the second most common form of litter. They have a long way to unseat cigarette butts, but it may get to that point. They don't biodegrade and this actually is a huge world issue. I suppose we'll get hysterical about that when the time comes.

Well, it's a new experience to enter a bank wearing a mask with glasses on.

Luckily I've managed not to greet a teller and channel my inner "Butch Cassidy", so I haven't laughingly blurted out, "Manos arriba. Esto es un robo!" But I still think about it... :oops:

Seriously though, at least when I occasionally hear someone sneeze or cough in public, at least it's some relief to see even they are wearing a mask now.

As far as I know, the bank lobbies are closed here. The two banks we use have closed their lobbies. You have to use the drive-through or ATM machine, and the lines of cars are LONG. Not sure if other banks that we don't use are closed to customers though.

As far as I know, the bank lobbies are closed here. The two banks we use have closed their lobbies. You have to use the drive-through or ATM machine, and the lines of cars are LONG. Not sure if other banks that we don't use are closed to customers though.

At my bank they carefully regulate the number of persons allowed inside at the front door, entering and exiting as well as asking what our business is so they can steer us accordingly. Encouraging simple withdrawals to be conducted from the ATMs, with all other transactions done indoors.

Seems like an orderly process and doesn't really take any longer than before the virus. But then I've always tried to avoid going to the bank at peak hours anyways.

Last edited:
TLDR

"You know what's funny about Coronavirus?

Nothing.

But that hasn't stopped people from cracking jokes. Even as 115,000 people have died, and more than 2 million cases have been confirmed nationwide.

'Today's Weather: Room Temperature.'

'Anyone else's car getting three weeks to the gallon?'

'Never in my life would I imagine that my hands would consume more alcohol than my mouth.' "

"...one of the things jokes do is help distance people from the awfulness..."

Coping with coronavirus pandemic: COVID-19 spawns dark humor

Like @Ezra, I try to spend as little time as possible in situations where a mask is necessary, thus greatly reducing my potential exposure.

The banks around here are also limiting the number of people inside, and make customers wait outside six feet apart. Costco has the person who checks ID's at the front entrance keep tabs on the number of people entering with an old fashioned mechanical counter. Wal Mart uses an ipad with special software.

There are many different kinds of masks available now so try to experiment to see which style is most comfortable for you. I have a big stack of cloth masks made for me by a seamstress using the sewing pattern downloaded from the CDC website. She is a friend of my sister and sells them for $5 each. We wear them once, then wash and dry them. I iron them to keep the pleats flat. I like the ones with ear loops but my husband likes the ones that tie behind his head because that is what he wore when he worked at the hospital. All of them are somewhat uncomfortable but we need to wear them when we are forced to be around other people.

I hope that did not come off as whining on my part. I meant it as more of an 'I'm not the only one / me also' observation. I'm mostly a shut-in so I only have to wear one for short periods of time occasionally. And of course like with most things, over a course of time one gets more used to something. Although like many autistics I find many things uncomfortable to wear to a degree; hats, sunglasses, types of clothing, most forms of jewelry etc.

But getting down to brass tacks, it's not like I have a choice about wearing one, when I am where they are required.

Last edited:
I hope that did not come off as whining on my part. I meant it as more of an 'I'm not the only one / me also' observation. I'm mostly a shut-in so I only have to wear one for short periods of time occasionally. And of course like with most things, over a course of time one gets more used to something. Although like many autistics I find many things uncomfortable to wear to a degree; hats, sunglasses, types of clothing, most forms of jewelry etc.

But getting down to brass tacks, it's not like I have a choice about wearing one, when I am where they are required.

I didn't think you were whining at all and were just expressing the universal irritation with wearing something that covers nose and mouth. I hate wearing them, too. We stay at home all the time except for buying food and other essential trips. It's boring but poses significantly less risk that running around all over the place like many people are doing, eating in restaurants, going to bars, sporting events, large gathering, etc. We occasionally get takeout food to help restaurants stay afloat but won't eat in any of them, including the ones with outdoor dining areas. The outdoor places usually have ceiling fans here, and I suspect a ceiling fan can sling spit 60 feet through the air, LOL :eek:

I have to say in all honesty that whenever I look at the numbers, I am never shocked or surprised at what I see. Even it has been a week or two since the last time I checked. That is when putting it in perspective with what all I have learned about the statistics regarding contagious viruses/diseases and mortality rates. Not that I am taking it lightly. I do not take any contagious virus lightly.

Avoiding people that I don't know, using hand sanitizer every time when coming home from somewhere, wearing mask in all indoor places except my home

I read yesterday that they are using Interferon (A chemo medication) to combat Covid-19.
This is the medication that made my immune system start attacking my nervous system and according to what I read on the Mayo Clinic web site people with "Certain genetic disorders" are at a higher risk of developing a Neurodegeritive Disorder than the general population.
Just a word of caution if you get Covid you might want to refuse Interferon.

Isn't chemo a scorched earth policy in general? A bit like antibiotics - it destroys good and bad alike.

Of course, no treatment gets approved if the negatives outweigh the positives. They just seem rather intense ways to treat patients.

Here's hoping a safer vaccine becomes more mainstream.

Ed

Taking my meds for my depression to stay sane and stable during shelter in place quarantine, my room has a very small window so very little light gets in, i try and get out in the sun to escape while i can and go to the park, social distance and wear my doctors mask like everyone else.

Regular walks seem to help my mood slightly. It's not like a miraculous cure - but the fresh air, regular sunlight and daily walking seems to be helping reduce depression somewhat.

Ed

Playing Pokemon Go helps for me as long as i can get out. Watching Anime too now Anime is resuming production, Kekashi always wears a mask he was prepared decades ahead of time.
This cheered me up a bit.I like getting out in the sun while i can so i dont need my meds as much, i was supposed to get off my meds over time once winter ended but the covid19 my doctors extended it. Conefinement lack of sunlight i get very depressed and suicidal without medication, i dont think strait when darkness takes over i hold myself as hostage. I come to my senses after taking my meds though as well as smilie getting sad mad at me on steam chat i snap out of it, she chews me out followed by crying i feel bad and want to live for her.

Last edited:

"The Rock Bottom Remainders — a band that includes Dave Barry, Amy Tan, Mitch Albom, Mary Karr and other best-selling writers — today released its own covid-19 music video of Ben E. King’s “Stand By Me.” The lyrics have been hilariously revised as “Don’t Stand By Me” (watch). Scott Turow’s dance moves are a thing of beauty. Stephen King gets the greatest line when he pops in to sing, “The Stand, by me!” These delightful performers hope you’ll respond by supporting Binc, the Book Industry Charitable Foundation (donate). Binc has become a lifeline for booksellers whose livelihoods have been destroyed by the coronavirus. Contributions of any amount are much appreciated, but the first 50 donations of $750 or more will receive a lithograph of the band drawn by David Horsey and signed by all the band members.

You might think a worldwide pandemic poses an existential challenge for comic writers, but Barry tells me, “In some ways humor is easier, since everybody’s in basically the same situation, dealing with the same issues — the isolation, the masks, the Zooming. I think people welcome jokes about these things; it reassures us that we’re not alone. Sometimes, I think humor is the only thing keeping us sane these days.” But trying to put a song together with musicians and singers all over the country was an existential challenge. “It was scary,” Barry says. “We’re not a good band even when we’re all in the same room. Greg Iles and Ridley Pearson did an amazing job of keeping us all on the same page. I’m not saying we sound good; I’m saying we could have sounded a whole lot worse.”

The Rock Bottom Remainders has raised over $2.5 million for literacy causes since it was founded in 1992."
from the Washington Post

I don't understand where I live in Scotland. They say people shouldn't use public transport if it's not necessary but in pubs and cafes people are not wearing masks. (I think sadly in Scotland drinking too much is in the culture, not meaning to offend but living here practically 40 years)

New Threads

Top Bottom