• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What effect is the pandemic having on your mental health?

• It is making it easier

Votes: 16 24.6%
  • It is making it harder

Votes: 49 75.4%

• Total voters
Here we've been out of quarantine for a couple of months now and things are actually going pretty well given the circumstances: 1.6 fatality rate and still plenty of hospital beds and respirators available. People respect social distancing for the most part and you have to wear a mask in public transportation or indoor public spaces, or you're not allowed to go inside. Most things have re-opened except for bars or clubs and major public events have been cancelled. Restaurants re-arranged their space and there are no shortages.

My state, Mississippi, is in bad shape for coronavirus. All our hospital ICUs are at maximum capacity and a very good friend of mine is being taken to the emergency department at a hospital in Memphis, TN right now because there is no room for him in his Mississippi home town hospital. His lungs have abruptly deteriorated and he has violently coughed continuously for 36+ hours. I'm very worried about him, he is 54 years old and has an underlying medical condition that puts him at high risk. His wife is driving him there as I type this. I pray they will get there in time.

Do people still think this is a hoax? Or just the flu? Do people really believe that schools can be safely reopened in 30 days? If I had school age children, I'd homeschool them till science provides some answers and useful treatments. Our two daughters who have children are trying to figure out what to do. They have jobs so homeschooling would be virtually impossible for them.

Where l live, l hear everything is put as a Covid death to increase fed funding. Also if you test and re-test to see if you no longer have it- every re-read is counted in stats inflating the numbers of positive tests, again - more funding. But l am not down playing the active covid rates that are in my county. It is alarming. Please just realize all the backstory in the stats we are given every day. And my deepest sympathies to anyone who is having to deal with this.

One thing that increasingly concerns me is the horrendous latitude of this virus in how it impacts individuals, regardless of age or comorbid concern. Some die from it, and so many others can be asymptomatic, or have such mild symptoms that they may actually not even be aware of it.

With no particular way of differentiating one's chances. Yet so many seem willing to gamble on it all. And now we are learning that those who survived the virus have antibodies that last only so long. Making it possible to potentially be reinfected.

And now the federal government has ordered all hospital Covid-19 statistics to go directly to the DHHS rather than the CDC. Not looking good...at a time when everyone should be pulling together to be on the same page.

Where l live, l hear everything is put as a Covid death to increase fed funding. Also if you test and re-test to see if you no longer have it- every re-read is counted in stats inflating the numbers of positive tests, again - more funding. But l am not down playing the active covid rates that are in my county. It is alarming. Please just realize all the backstory in the stats we are given every day. And my deepest sympathies to anyone who is having to deal with this.

It seems clear that money and politics are playing a role in this as far as how things are being presented. To what degree is uncertain.

It seems clear that money and politics are playing a role in this as far as how things are being presented. To what degree is uncertain.

Money and politics are always in question in just about everything these days

Find l have been stressed. It has been difficult to work with the masks. Constantly remembering to wash hands. l work with young people- are they infected? Then you need to uplift the clients who are depressed and afraid to come out. They ask why are we empty? Where is everybody? So people watching is not happening, you then need to talk more to some of them because they are looking for some reassurance during this tough time. In a way, we are grieving. We feel the past is leaving. Our ability to fret about boredom is no longer. We now fret over numbers, over our loved ones, over our jobs, over civil disobedience. We fret about a dreaded phone call of someone close to us. We fret, we grieve, with no breaks in between.

It's interesting. I am tired of living with the pandemic restrictions, but I think I am coping better than most people. What I have noticed is that people who align with extreme far right political ideologies are having the most difficulty coping. I don't honestly know many people who align with an extreme left ideology, so I will not comment on them. The difficulties that I noticed are that Covid 19 restrictions are seen as infringements on personal liberty, and there is not much thought on how their behaviors impact others.

I don't want to make this a political discussion, but the importance one places on individual liberty does impact one's ability to cope during this pandemic.

I have discussed with others when is this ending? Or has the landscape changed forever? It's like freefalling but you have no landing pad. There is no final answer to the possible outcome. I deal in facts, l deal with knowing situations, and speculating outcomes. But the negatives seem to outweigh the positives in everyway.

upload_2020-7-20_14-21-22.png

Ideally I’d like to start working out at a gym, but my area is requiring face masks and the inexpensive cloth one I have really bothers me. I have a lot of sensitivity towards uncomfortable clothing (only wear sweat pants/shorts and v-neck t-shirts unless I have to wear something else), so maybe that’s part of it.

Anyone have a suggestion for a comfortable option?

Unfortunately I just lost my bicycle in storage auction so that option is out

I’m just not doing very well right now at all and trying to get exercise seems like a good option, but the mask I have drives me crazy after about 5 minutes just walking around

l agree with you. l hate wearing them. l went to my gym today and no one had them but some places require them. There is a plastic shield you can order online attached to glasses or baseball cap.

l agree with you. l hate wearing them. l went to my gym today and no one had them but some places require them. There is a plastic shield you can order online attached to glasses or baseball cap.

Unfortunately masks are not optional wear I live, there is a department of health mandate

COVID-19 Update: Face Coverings to be Required in High-Risk Counties

I don’t require glasses or find baseball caps comfortable, but I’ll check this out

I am just not happy about anything, including my health, I would gladly risk the virus and get out and do something positive

Went for a interview yesterday in a warehouse and during a tour of the building within my group i was the only one who social distanced and that included the two staff members doing the tour, health and safety notices were in present throughout the building, i social distanced and expressed my disappointment that during this pandemic the company displayed this behaviour, i need a job but within a environment that has good practice, i walked away from that 'opportunity'

What I don't get are the extremes in mask wearing. From someone not wearing one in a store full of people, to someone wearing one while walking outdoors and there is no one else anywhere near them. I have even seen people wearing a mask while driving their car alone.

What I don't get are the extremes in mask wearing. From someone not wearing one in a store full of people, to someone wearing one while walking outdoors and there is no one else anywhere near them. I have even seen people wearing a mask while driving their car alone.

I find that stuff bizarre too. It must make them feel better or maybe they think a corona virus is airborne. We only have about 100 or so active cases where I am, mostly all in nursing homes, and I still have to wear a mask to enter public spaces. The chances that I've encountered anyone with the virus is extremely low (nearly hit by lightning low). To this point, I still have not heard of anyone who knows anyone who has the virus outside of the news.

The thing that bugs me about cloth masks is how wet the inside gets from my breathing. Wearing a mask is ok by itself, but when it gets really damp inside I go nuts and sometimes take it off if I am having a long conversation with somebody or something like that, if so I try to social distance. Also, masks tend to slide up on my face after a while and start rubbing on my lower eyelids and that feels awful too, I am constantly pulling down the mask. Also if I am doing anything strenuous the mask will get so wet that I have to take it off because I can't catch my breath with it on. Masks are mandatory in California of course.

I find that stuff bizarre too. It must make them feel better or maybe they think a corona virus is airborne. We only have about 100 or so active cases where I am, mostly all in nursing homes, and I still have to wear a mask to enter public spaces. The chances that I've encountered anyone with the virus is extremely low (nearly hit by lightning low). To this point, I still have not heard of anyone who knows anyone who has the virus outside of the news.

You're lucky that you have not been personally affected by Covid-19. My brother-in-law and niece in North Carolina survived it and describe it as one of the worst illnesses they have ever had. My son's girlfriend's grandmother is in the hospital right now, very sick with Covid. I don't know anyone who has died from it but it can be a horrible illness for many people, not something I want to contract.

Our major retailers - Target, Walmart, Kroger, Home Depot, etc. - have a mask requirement to shop in their stores. We have to take care of ourselves.

New Threads

Top Bottom