• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What effect is the pandemic having on your mental health?

• It is making it easier

Votes: 16 24.6%
  • It is making it harder

Votes: 49 75.4%

• Total voters
As a child I can’t begin to tell you how much of a big deal eating was. It was probably the most major issue I faced on a daily basis with my family and socially. The hypersensitivity to textures in food (among other things), has been a huge problem in my life. And continues to be so occasionally.

Recently at a social gathering the idea was to order pizza for dinner. Both couples we were having dinner with known about my autism. The issue came when ordering.

I can only eat your basic, boring, cheese pizza from a shop. At home I can make my own with more ingredients because I put things on that aren’t normally considered pizza toppings.

If something goes into my mouth that is not texturally acceptable, I will quite literally throw it up or spit it out. I have no control over this. It has happened while eating out at restaurants, having dinner at someone’s house, parties, weddings, basically every place you don’t want it happening.

As a child and teenager it caused a LOT of problems, particularly with my mother, who would verbally abuse me and shame and guilt me for hours each night for refusing to eat certain foods (peas, anything slimy feeling, like tomatoes, eggplant etc.). I can’t tell you how many times I fell asleep at the table because that’s where I had to stay until bed time if I didn’t eat what was on my plate.

So back to dinner the other night. I actually stopped the entire conversation and said quite clearly that part of autism is a strong and immovable aversion to certain tastes and textures, and that no, you cannot train yourself to overcome it.

One of the ladies said “It’s not all about you.” to me. To which I replied, “I know, but you all keep harassing me about what I will and won’t eat, so I’m telling you why so you don’t do it anymore.”

It stopped everyone in their conversation. My wife was very supportive of me and backed me up.

Of all the issues autism has brought me, food has been one of the most difficult. As a child there were many times I would not eat because the texture and certain flavours of food meant I was physically unable to consume what was on offer.

Thankfully my wife is a tremendously good cook and makes virtually every meal texturally perfect. She has been a great blessing in my life.

Autism is part of you. It’s as immovable from you as your skull. The issues it brings are daily and life long. Being misunderstood is something you must deal with your entire life.

I often leave a social situation/interaction wondering if I said the right things. If my posture and facial expressions were right. Did I talk too much about a topic. Did I make them bored. Did I appear involved and interested.

I know people notice the odd behaviour. My wife often tells me that people ask her about me and why don’t do certain ‘normal’ things.

Dunno, guess I’m just venting a little. I’m sick and tired of people treating me like a second class citizen sometimes because I’m not neurotypical.

They now call it a Feeding Disorder. Many have them on the spectrum and it can be disabling. You are so lucky to have a spouse to help you.

I feel you, you simply put forward a clear dietary need and got insult and presumption, often this kind of things leaves me feeling 'why bother' the response often from N/T people if i share my 'differences' is to express their view that i'm making clear selfish choices, and are unable to accept that i'm just being me.

Order what you want to eat. Others can order whatever they want. Sheesh, why must everyone kowtow to others? You were more polite than I would have been if someone criticized my food order.

Order what you want to eat. Others can order whatever they want. Sheesh, why must everyone kowtow to others? You were more polite than I would have been if someone criticized my food order.

Another issue comes when there is only one cheese pizza ordered and suddenly everyone wants a piece. I kinda look like an asshole when I hold the box closed in front of me because I can’t just eat some of the other pizzas on the table like everyone else.

Order what you want to eat. Others can order whatever they want. Sheesh, why must everyone kowtow to others?

Yes, this is important.

DO NOT just do things simply because others are doing things. Down that road lies madness.

Simply order something else from the start. There's a reason why restaurants ask each person individually what they want. If the others dont like it? Well, bloody tough... that's why it's YOUR order, not theirs. If they INSIST on ordering as a group? DONT GO IN THE FIRST PLACE. They dont like that? Well, maybe they should learn to not be total snot blobs, then. Once they're done learning how not to suck, THEN you go with them.

Or do as I do and go "LOL NOPE" every time someone asks about the idea of a restaurant. I've never understood the concept. "eating time" does not equal "talky talky time" in my mind. It equals "get the heck out of my room, I'm trying to have a meal" time. I dont get why people must be around others and blab their stupid heads off while shoveling rather distressing things into their mouths.

Dont worry so much about what others think. Dont worry so much about trying to be the model student, so to speak. BE YOURSELF, simple as that. And if they dont like that, well.... maybe they're not friends to begin with.

I have the same problem, to a lesser extent. Unground meat can be difficult to eat, which caused my mother gray hairs when I was a kid. I also have difficulty with different porridges, and fruits like oranges and pineapples.
And it's always the texture, never the taste.
Oddly enough, vegetables have never been a problem.

l say order 2 cheese pizzas. One for you, one for obnoxious people. Then you won't feel bad, or supersize it.

Last edited:
I would just order something for myself and let them order what they want, and tell them I can't eat what they are having. It's not up to other people to tell me what I should and shouldn't eat. Sensory issues like this should be respected and accommodated, in the same way as, for example, a nut allergy would be respected.

Textures are the problem. I was never scolded or told it was bad when I got something in my mouth
that needed to come out when eating at home.

Other people came up with all sorts of remarks at my eating techniques.
I hate celery. Get a dish with bits of it cut up in it, immediately I start taking it out with my fork
or spoon. Same with pieces of red stuff in it. Like red peppers.

In my teens, eating lunch with other kids, they started making fun of me making noise chewing,
how my mouth looked crooked as I ate, it wasn't always shut. Their's wasn't either when they were talking away.
Well, that stayed on my mind and I started practicing to do differently.

The person I live with now gets onto me all the time because I don't eat the plate clean.
Always leave bits and pieces of food on it. To try and eat it totally clean is somehow sickening to me.
I won't sit there and scrap the plate clean with the fork.
And if I leave a sip of whatever I'm drinking in the bottom of the glass or bottle... it's a terrible thing.
He's finally stopped saying so much about it. But, I know the thoughts are there.

I get it. I can thing of plenty of foods I can’t physically swallow (salmon ) pair that with have Coeliac Disease (I have to be on a gluten free diet). My options are limited and people can be awful. I dread going to restaurants with some people because feel need to comment on my food choices. Yes I would rather have nachos then a steak. I steak may be gluten free but I still want to eat it. (I don’t eat that many different meats because of the aversion to the texture and taste so people think I’m vegetarian. I eat chicken and pork thogh).

In Scotland, some regions are lucky to have one stop shops where before lockdown there were drop-ins and more services, I just emailed the health and wellbeing co-ordinator of one and the manager and support worker, about if governments try to make a vaccine mandatory, the health and wellbeing co-ordinator doesn't beleieve it will happen and
the manager thinks the staff

could help a service user make a good case as to not have a vaccine, regardless even if the UK or Scots Government say people have to I am not getting it.

Last edited:
Ever since this virus insanity started months ago, I have been explaining to people that all these shallow, moronic edicts haven't changed my life much at all. I always kept distance and never liked "going into town" or being around people anyway, right? Fortunately, I have a solitary job which will never be deemed "non-essential" so pretty much nothing has changed much for me.

The problem is, it has changed for everybody else and this is awful for everyone. Ever wish people could understand how life is for you, us, being autistic? Well that wish has come true folks and it's a nightmare. Everyone is always either frightened all the time or angry.

Every store or government building has their own rules for where to walk, protocol for when, where & how to wear that Petri dish a.k.a. "mask", special dangerous-colored tape, lights and icons on the floor to direct where to walk and stand (which makes sense ONLY to the "genius" who dreamed it up), and even when you do your best to follow all of it, there are pearl-clutching hall monitors there ready to bark at you about still not doing it correctly.

I know there are some of us who have been around long enough that life has smoothed out a lot compared to when we were younger, but I think most of us had at least some period of life, maybe way too long a period, when getting through your day was kind of like this - always tripping up here & there and struggling just to not screw up easy stuff.

Hopefully there will come a day when we get past this and if someone is curious enough to wonder aloud what life is like for the autistic of us, you can now say "Remember how you felt in 2020? well it's kinda like that for me all the time.". I have reservations about whether we will ever get past this honestly, but we'll see.

Now that I'm an old man and worked out how to get by a ton easier than I used to (yes, over time we can indeed get better at coping) I feel like I'm actually better equipped at handling these recent stresses than NTs are. After all, I'm an experienced hand at it now and this is all completely new to these unfortunate souls.

Anyways, I wouldn't wish this crap on anyone and the sooner we are past it, the better. I am not often inspired toward empathy for NT folks, but I sure do feel for (many of) them lately. I still have reasonable contempt for the half who seem to be causing all the problem in the first place, but there's that whole other half who seem to just be swimming in fear, frustration, anger and a bunch of other suffering they didn't ask for. And I feel that in the end it will have been not completely, but mostly for no good reason, because no matter where you stand on the issue, there's no denying it has gone way overboard and off the rails. Some common sense and faith in our fellow humans would be such a relief right now.

I've been surprised before, but I won't hold my breath.

Thought the same things here.
Everybody seems to be having mental issues having to live life differently.
But, it hasn't been much of a change for me either.

The inconvenience of the masks and marking of the floors in places is different.
But, it doesn't really bother me that much.
For their own sakes, it's ashamed they have such a drive to have to congregate.
Like bars, meet and greets, public gatherings, etc.
IF they didn't feel such an urge and were like us, it wouldn't bother them that much.
But, it does and the must have gatherings are only making it all the worse.

You are correct. As we age we learn better coping or some things just get easier.

Yes same here, it hasn't changed my life much at all in terms of what I d normally do, except I liked going to the library and browsing, and to shops as a goal for solitary walks. Also I liked going on trains to places near or far, but I can do other stuff.

Yes I had a while getting things wrong in shops, I seem not to see the signs, or misinterpreted them, as normal for me. Agree it's aggravating watching half the NTs break the rules, and sad watching the other half suffer.

Hope they learn from it, gotta feeling they won't, based on the fact it's already happened a million times in history without lessons being usefully learnt. Probably there'll be a big party to celebrate in 2 years time when it's more or less under control, with street food to celebrate. Hey was that bat flavoured pangolin I just ate? So yummy!

it's aggravating watching half the NTs break the rules, and sad watching the other half suffer.

Funny.. My perception was the opposite, i.e. the ones blindly submitting to any proposed rule are dealing with it that way and the other half feeling more of the suffering. Arguments either way, but to me it seems flipped.
There's reasonable caution and there's no argument people should take much more care for a while. But just to take masks as an example, they are likely helping IF the mask itself is sterile and you don't handle it over & over. But once you walk through clouds of expulsions meanwhile touching things 20 other people have also handled, then putting a mask on and taking it off ten times a day and using the same mask for a week, which is all exactly what 99% of everyone is doing, then it brings the effectiveness down from "likely helping" to "almost certainly worse than nothing". But the rule is simply "you must wear a mask in here" so it is reduced to a security blanket. To be hygienic like what is necessary to help, such as what they mostly are trained to do in hospitals, takes knowledge and a bit of training - something all in power have dropped the ball on in favor of simplified edicts.
I guess that's what I've hated to see - over all this time, I feel it would have been waaay more effective to plaster educational and useful PSA things every ten minutes on every channel so people will learn what actually helps. Instead, we've been ordered to fear each other, tear each other apart and in some cases forced to make loved ones die depressed and alone.
Not exactly genius thinking.

I've thought the same thing, that NT's are finding out what being autistic is like and they are literally going insane. They are gorging on comfort food and gaining 30 pounds, they are still gathering, the first thing they did when restrictions were eased a little was go out with their friends. Looking at the rant boards on Craigslist, there are all sorts of weird conspiracy theories floating around, all of them decrying the impact on people's social lives. NT's, especially millenials and zoomers, have such a need to be social and always be validated by a posse of friends that when it was taken away they couldn't handle it. There was even a period where young adult female zoomers were sending naked selfies to every male on their contact list! Talk about insane! It's rather pathetic how young NT's literally can't be by themselves at all.

I've thought the same thing, that NT's are finding out what being autistic is like and they are literally going insane. They are gorging on comfort food and gaining 30 pounds, they are still gathering, the first thing they did when restrictions were eased a little was go out with their friends. Looking at the rant boards on Craigslist, there are all sorts of weird conspiracy theories floating around, all of them decrying the impact on people's social lives. NT's, especially millenials and zoomers, have such a need to be social and always be validated by a posse of friends that when it was taken away they couldn't handle it. There was even a period where young adult female zoomers were sending naked selfies to every male on their contact list! Talk about insane! It's rather pathetic how young NT's literally can't be by themselves at all.

Idk, isn't it the same for us? When what we have been wired for gets disrupted don't we also start going bonkers? Imagine if the situation was reversed and you had to stay within a social gathering all the time for weeks on end. I'd be wanting to jump out a window to get away from it and be alone.

A fair number of shops and bars have remained shut in Scotland anyway since the start of covid, I presume they fear anyone catches covid, I know there's the economy but the least amount of social interaction at this time can only be good

New Threads

Top Bottom