• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What effect is the pandemic having on your mental health?

• It is making it easier

Votes: 16 24.6%
  • It is making it harder

Votes: 49 75.4%

• Total voters
A relative of mine recently had emergency open surgery on the NHS.

Mid seventies, COPD and other health conditions. In short, a likely candidate to contract the covid virus.

After a six day stay in hospital, they were permitted home with the proviso there was a carer to help them in subsequent weeks of recovery.
(me)

Entering week five of recovery. All is well. No sign of covid, no blips in recovery. Textbook smoothness.

I suppose I thought; with the fears surrounding the virus unprecedented nature, they were 'a gonner'
Seemingly perfect candidate to contract this virus.

Big shout out and thanks to all involved. Paramedics, NHS consultants, surgeons, nurses, cleaners, cooks, food trolley attendants.
Home visitors and well wishers observing the isolation protocols and hand washing guidelines.
...and my OCD :)
(I haven't transferred any virus either... although I suppose I would have to actually be carrying it to pose a risk :))

I am doing home exercise today. Kinda of missing all the time off. Nervous about returning to work. What will our customers be like? What will l be like? It's a new page, how will they write about this in the history books???

I kept telling my friend l was really worried about riots. I told her about three weeks ago. And l researched the LA Riots because l truly believed it was going to happen again but this was about 4 years ago.

Last edited:
What items of need did you run out over the last two months? Many stores and businesses have not reopened in the area I live in.

1. Yeast (stores ran out immediately)
2. Flour (eventually restocked in gigantic bags that are difficult to lift)
3. A watch battery, my watch died two months ago.
4. A haircut, it's much longer than usual.

What did/do you miss the most?

1. Eating out at a restaurant

What items of need did you run out over the last two months? Many stores and businesses have not reopened in the area I live in.

3. A watch battery, my watch died two months ago.

What did/do you miss the most?

Ouch. Though under our "phase one", I'd think battery stores would be considered "essential businesses".
Yes- this is no time to have a watch battery die!

I do miss not being able to walk into the retailer of my heart's desire on a whim. Even under "phase two" not all stores or restaurants are even open to do business in whole or in part.

One thing for sure, I won't even go into my favorite restaurant at the present. Not into any enclosed rooms with lots of people and airflow concerns. Instead of Murrieta's, it will have to be Taco Bell at the drive-in window. :(

Last edited:
One thing for sure, I won't even go into my favorite restaurant at the present. Not into any enclosed rooms with lots of people and airflow concerns. Instead of Murrieta's, it will have to be Taco Bell at the drive-in window.

Neither will I, it has a large open area which they hopefully will cordon off in some way. Maybe with plexglass it will mitigate the difficulties at the place I go to once in awhile. Wish there was a taco bell here, there are only burger places.

l6noz2q4bg651.png

Wearing a mask at work sucks. I hate the virus because l spend endless hours wiping down things in the restaurant business. Hope l get cheap rental so l can pay off bills and stay home. And avoid the rat race of no l don't want to go out with you.

I was watching highlights of a soccer game,one player had his thumb in his mouth don't think that was advisable, neither players spitting on the pitch as sometimes they fall on the ground

Sometimes I'm reminded of that old XKCD cartoon where the guy says "There is something WRONG on the internet."

I keep tabs on regional Craigslist community boards because that's the one place that weirdos can't be kicked off from, and some of these guys are so bonkers that I am left scratching my head. One current meme is the "Fake Plandemic", where Bill Gates and his friends at the bioweapons lab at Fort Detrick and/or Wuhan cooked up Covid in order to sell vaccines that supposedly have microchips and cancer causing DNA in them to track and depopulate the world.

Also under Fake Plandemic is the idea that Covid is "just the flu" and that wearing a mask will kill you and/or is a sign that you are an easily lead sheeple who embraces the NWO and who is content living in fear. Then there's the guy who insists that everything the mass media says is "fake" and that consensus reality is fictional and horror movie/conspiracy stuff like vampires and witches and of course Pizzagate and QAnon is the true reality.

The crazy home remedies thing has died down a lot, early on there was the "1-2-3 KNOCKOUT PUNCH" consisting of inhaling hot steam, "aggressive gargling" with hot water, and "aromatherapy", as well as the "sunlight cure" where all you have to do is go outside and let the sun kill off the virus. Another was the idea to turn up the heat in your house to 85 F to kill the Covid particles inside.

Well, there are so many crazy people not taking any precautions at all around here, no masks or anything, that I prefer to just stay inside and amuse myself with Covid conspiracy theories. The infection rates in California are shooting back up and health authorities are blaming private parties like birthdays and graduations and just general private dance parties ("house parties" in the US) and probably some Corona Parties still in the mix where young people try to get deliberately infected to make themselves immune. (Disease parties were common when twentysomething zoomers were kids, under the theory that getting the actual disease was better than getting the vaccine.)

Our area went green a few days ago and my next door neighbors threw a loud party in their back yard, setting of fireworks until nearly two a.m. I had the worst meltdown in years.

People are immediately going and having giant parties once any sort of loosening is announced, then a week later every single partygoer is fighting for their life in the hospital, intubated on a ventilator, near death from covid. People don't seem to realize that you can't have a social life/job if you're dead. Dying from covid is absolutely horrible, you basically suffocate slowly, but the thing is, once you're dead you're dead. No more parties, no more watercooler gossip, no more binge watching Netflix, no more listening to Billie Eilish on your phone, your life is literally OVER, GONE, no more second chances. A lot of people don't seem to fully realize the finality of death. You are dumped in a hole, topped off with a brass plaque, then simply forgotten. They don't seem able to calculate whether the fun of a big mask removal party is worth their dead meatsuit in a hole in a forgotten cemetery being gnawed on by rats.

Wearing a facemask for extended periods makes you rebreathe your CO2, and that causes brain cell death.

"It is common for surgeons and other scientists or health care workers to wear face masks, particularly N95 respirators, for prolonged periods of time.

Neither the CDC nor the World Health Organization has issued warnings suggesting the use of surgical face masks would result in dangerous oxygen level depletion within the general public."

Fact check: Wearing face mask will not cause hypoxia or hypercapnia

People are immediately going and having giant parties once any sort of loosening is announced, then a week later every single partygoer is fighting for their life in the hospital, intubated on a ventilator, near death from covid. People don't seem to realize that you can't have a social life/job if you're dead. Dying from covid is absolutely horrible, you basically suffocate slowly, but the thing is, once you're dead you're dead. No more parties, no more watercooler gossip, no more binge watching Netflix, no more listening to Billie Eilish on your phone, your life is literally OVER, GONE, no more second chances. A lot of people don't seem to fully realize the finality of death. You are dumped in a hole, topped off with a brass plaque, then simply forgotten. They don't seem able to calculate whether the fun of a big mask removal party is worth their dead meatsuit in a hole in a forgotten cemetery being gnawed on by rats.
Very well put. I wish I could make this billboard size and place it on my street.

I'm not trying to get people to not wear face masks

Good to know. That was my concern. Though I thought this was about COVID-19- not other illnesses like cancer. As tight as an O2 facemask might functionally be, no doubt there's a very minor retention of CO2.

Of course a non-medical grade or even N95 mask for the pandemic shouldn't involve such concerns. Without any fear of significant and harmful CO2 retention (hypercapnia).

Last edited:
It is about covid, but because of covid I have to wear a facemask in the oncologists office and at the hospital 24/7. That's how I know the different readings.

I only wear the cheapie paper masks they hand out, or cloth ones.

I see your point, though I'm thinking in terms of context. Not about just wearing a mask, but rather those conditions that evoked consideration of a minor amount of CO2 retention.

You wore a cheap face mask just to enter the hospital. In Nevada we have to wear them everywhere now in public. However in using a different mask for oxygen, that process was the one you mentioned involving minor amounts of CO2 retention that involved cancer treatment- not treatment for the Coronavirus.

In 2002 I had to wear an oxygen mask for a time as it was suspected that I might have had a heart attack. Turned out it was just a side effect of the meds I was taking. Whew, that mask was on tight too. No doubt I was getting some of my own CO2 at the time. But under monitored medical conditions I didn't expect it to become troublesome.

Let's just hope none of us gets the virus where it leads to both oxygen, intubation and being hooked up to a ventilator. Where at that point, yes the issue of CO2 retention becomes very real, though medically monitored.

I can't handle math. Can someone help?

If 224,000 people in California have the virus and there are 39 million people, what percentage of people have the virus?

Also, if 6,000 people have died from the virus and there are 39 million people, what percentage of people have died from the virus?

New Threads

Top Bottom