• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What effect is the pandemic having on your mental health?

• It is making it easier

Votes: 16 24.6%
  • It is making it harder

Votes: 49 75.4%

• Total voters
This social distancing is giving me cabin fever. I miss hanging out with people. We do group chats but it's not the same as being there.

I think social distancing is just a thing for more depression as the numbers are going up not down, and it's making people more stressful.

It's still bizarre to drive around and see things closed. Sometimes l can't believe it. The whole economy is at a standstill.
Please - stay a distance so that we both stay healthy. I really don't think l should have to explain this. It surprises me that more men catch it and have more severe complications but they don't know why.

Last edited:
I looked at the US statistics on the Coronavirus this morning, and was shocked that almost as many people have died as have recovered. The number of reported cases has not peaked, and it is estimated that 100k - 200K people may eventually die from the Coronavirus.

Fauci: U.S. Could Have 100k to 200k Deaths from Coronavirus

There is no way that people will be returning to work by Easter. I am thinking working from home might be a permanent change for me.

Last edited:
I looked at the US statistics on the Coronavirus this morning, and was shocked that almost as many people have died as have recovered. The the number of reported cases has not peaked, and it is estimated that 100k - 200K people may eventually die from the Coronavirus.

There is no way that people will be returning to work by Easter. I am thinking working from home might be a permanent change for me.

Honestly, you'd think if people and companies were serious about "going green" we would've done this a long long time ago..
No more people driving to work, no emissions.. A lot less/no office space required, companies win on lease payments.. And employees don't have to waste so much time commuting.. It would seem the world, companies, and employees would all win.. But.. rationality does not appear to be humanity's strong suit...

This social distancing is giving me cabin fever. I miss hanging out with people. We do group chats but it's not the same as being there.

I think social distancing is just a thing for more depression as the numbers are going up not down, and it's making people more stressful.

I think the numbers will go up for 2 or 3 weeks, because there's an incubation time, so the people in the numbers currently were infected before social distancing started. We will have to wait in order to see the effect of the social distancing, the numbers won't go down at first, but reducing the rate of infection will bring numbers down, and make a very significant difference.

20200330_101557.jpg

We are all in this together :)

I usually try to keep extra prepared food in the freezer for when I have shutdowns and can't prepare meals, so I'm not too worried that way. This just gives me an excuse to avoid grocery shopping, and try to eat more traditional food. However I am having a hard time adjusting to all the changes of plans. I'm having to re-write my thesis research proposal so that all my research can be done via interviews and focus groups conducted online. There isn't really the same options for participant observation and "deep hanging out", and having to change everything is stressing me out. I'm also really feeling the isolation. Grad school is isolating to begin with, but I'm realizing now how much seeing people once a week at support group or council meetings, and going in to seminars a couple times a week, was filling my social needs. I'm finding this a surprising revelation about myself as I don't really consider myself as social. I have one class still meeting on zoom, but there is less talking between students, and I miss having people to talk to about both research we are passionate about, and about dealing with some of the minutiae that comes with academia.

I looked at the US statistics on the Coronavirus this morning, and was shocked that almost as many people have died as have recovered. The number of reported cases has not peaked, and it is estimated that 100k - 200K people may eventually die from the Coronavirus.

In Italy 10 000 died, 13 000 recovered. I knew they lied about the death rate.

If they told us the truth, it would cause more panic on a stressed out medical system maxed out already. People out of work, out of money, and you can't really say guess what: you have a 50/50 % chance of surviving this and as your gov, we really can't do anything to help the odds. It's better to lie and keep the peace. Keeping 6 ft apart also prevents or deters mob riots slightly reminsent of Los Angeles. It really is crowd control, we all need to cooperate and get along right now. I am happy l left LA. I am thankful that it didn't turn violent and people didn't mob because l have Lysol and tp and or cash. But l immedately gave up my work hours to the long-term employees.

Last edited:
In Italy 10 000 died, 13 000 recovered. I knew they lied about the death rate.

Most countries at this point don't have the testing capacity to test anyone except for those that end up in the hospital due to serious symptoms. And since those are the serious cases, you're going to see an artificially higher looking death rate.

Even if there were enough respirators, there aren't enough wall outlets and techs to monitor them. But they need something more upbeat like* keep it 6 and have more kicks. * Like hire a PR team, get some catch slogans going. Don't kiss me- just miss me 6ft away. Find the time, hang back in line and you'll be fine. Who has a catchy slogan?
Want no effects- then disinfect.

Last edited:
If they told us the truth, it would cause more panic on a stressed out medical system maxed out already. People out of work, out of money, and you can't really say guess what: you have a 50/50 % chance of surviving this and as your gov, we really can't do anything to help the odds. It's better to lie and keep the peace. Keeping 6 ft apart also prevents or deters mob riots slightly reminsent of Los Angeles. It really is crowd control, we all need to cooperate and get along right now. I am happy l left LA. I am thankful that it didn't turn violent and people didn't mob because l have Lysol and tp and or cash. But l immedately gave up my work hours to the long-term employees.
The whole situation is overwhelming and I'm just scared of what might come. I hope you're right that the death rate is significally lower. Most countries don't have enough tests. In Germany there are queues in front of the hospitals who want to be tested but most won't get tested for that very reason.

View attachment 61265
We are all in this together :)
For those that didn't fully understand this, it is not a meme, it was one of my random acts of kindness where I placed a roll of toilet paper in my mailbox with the instructions to pay it forward with another random act of kindness.
That is my mail with my name blocked out to protect my privacy in my mailbox.
My postal carrier in turn left me a thank you note to show me that my act was appreciated.

None of it was meant to be funny, it was to display how I'm doing what I can to ease other's worries in our shared difficult time.

What I would like to see is more of us doing things to help each other, because "we are all in this together".

I think that laughter is always advised during stressful times, for some of us, it's a coping mechanism. I completely gave up double shifts to help my co-workers.

For those that didn't fully understand this, it is not a meme, it was one of my random acts of kindness where I placed a roll of toilet paper in my mailbox with the instructions to pay it forward with another random act of kindness.
That is my mail with my name blocked out to protect my privacy in my mailbox.
My postal carrier in turn left me a thank you note to show me that my act was appreciated.

None of it was meant to be funny, it was to display how I'm doing what I can to ease other's worries in our shared difficult time.

What I would like to see is more of us doing things to help each other, because "we are all in this together".

I thought someone had left that for you until you posted the thank you note, then I realized it was something you had left for someone else..

It's very cool you did that, and I'm glad they appreciated it. :cool:
We are all in this together, and I hope everyone is doing what they can to support those around them and those they are close to..

It's still funny to see a TP roll in a mail box though.. :p

I hope this virus ends soon and life can go back to normal. I don't see it happen. When I put the news on the numbers are going up, they are telling people to distance themselves more, and I am becoming a hermit more. I do chat with three people from the Church texting What's App and we do virtual chat with the life group but it is not the same as face to face interactions. There is no personal interaction. It is more like wait your turn to speak next.

So far this has been going on for 3 weeks and it seems like an eternity with no end in sight. I am starting to get cabin fever.

Last edited:
Are you pursuing your doctorate in some field?
I'm in a MA program in anthropology. I was going to apply to transfer to the PhD stream in August, but that was contingent on completing my first summer of fieldwork, and proving to the admissions committee that having a disability that effects communication won't prevent me from engaging in ethnographic fieldwork, so now I don't know what the timeline is.

New Threads

Top Bottom