• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What effect is the pandemic having on your mental health?

• It is making it easier

Votes: 16 24.6%
  • It is making it harder

Votes: 49 75.4%

• Total voters
Only difference in my life is in about three days I will be going straight from the toilet to the tub. Ignorant inconsiderate people showing their true colors by hording essential supplies with no regard for anyone but themselves.

Now I have this disturbing visual image in my head.

For me, as I work online from home anyway and don't go out except to go to the supermarket or for a walk for exercise, it's business as usual.

The one thing that happened: l really looked at my life, my feelings and decided l was okay with everything at this moment in time. That there are solutions to problems but we work towards them. Throwing money at problems can backfire, research and make a careful choice, don't be blinded by toilet paper shortages.

Superstore guidelines have changed here in that we're encouraged to visit the stores rather than try to book a home delivery slot.

The home delivery slots are for the vulnerable, at risk, immobile, shielded.

Stores are taking the social distancing recommendations seriously and have employed 'Doormen'/ security to keep order in the queues stretching around the carpark perimeters.

From what I've seen so far, I'm guessing carpark queues are the new 'social' hangouts.
People are mostly polite to each other, share banter, jokes, opinions on news reports and statistics, all from 2m away.
perhaps the social interaction they miss out on while home working, childminding, furloughed, after isolation, redundancy?

It's possible to be stood in a queue outside waiting to enter for 90 minutes at the larger stores. Humans are wired to be sociable. Of course they're going to talk to each other :)

This has affected people - total routine is somehow oblivated and you just want to be released from the wormhole of nothingness.
Or are you finding this burp of life as a way to really look at things, and work towards appreciating all the little things in general?
What earth shattering lessons are you taking in right now?

Positive news from the frontlines:

As COVID-19 infection rates continue to rise in other parts of the region and across the country, our testing data continues to reassure us that COVID-19 is not as widespread in the communities we serve. Social distancing at an early phase has allowed both our infection control experts at UPMC and our counties to track down cases and contain clusters. Hence, the region’s efforts at social distancing and isolation are paying off. On behalf of all our health care colleagues, we thank you for your continued vigilance. Now, more than ever, we must continue these important mitigation efforts.

Late last week, scientists at UPMC and the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine announced a potential vaccine against SARS-CoV-2, the new coronavirus causing the COVID-19 pandemic. A paper on the vaccine appeared April 2 in EBioMedicine. It is the first study on a potential COVID-19 vaccine to be published after peer review from scientific experts. You can learn more about this exciting announcement in the article below.

Finally, we continue to be incredibly proud of the job all our employees are doing in the fight against COVID-19. Each day brings new challenges, and this amazing team remains focused on providing high-quality care to those suffering from COVID-19 disorders and to the many other patients whom we continue to serve across a spectrum

------------------------------------------
Scientists at UPMC and the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine have announced a potential vaccine against SARS-CoV-2, the new coronavirus causing the COVID-19 pandemic.

When tested in mice, the vaccine produces antibodies specific to SARS-CoV-2 at quantities thought to be enough to neutralize the virus. This marks the first study on a potential COVID-19 vaccine to be published after a critique from fellow scientists at outside institutions.

The research team calls this vaccine PittCoVacc, short for Pittsburgh Coronavirus Vaccine.

Scientists also use a new approach to deliver the drug, called a microneedle array, to increase potency. This array is a fingertip-sized patch of 400 tiny needles that deliver spike protein pieces into the skin, where the immune reaction is the strongest.

The patch goes on like a Band-Aid®, and the needles, which are made entirely of sugar and protein pieces, simply dissolve into the skin.
COVID-19 Vaccine Candidate Shows Promise

Positive news from the frontlines:

As COVID-19 infection rates continue to rise in other parts of the region and across the country, our testing data continues to reassure us that COVID-19 is not as widespread in the communities we serve. Social distancing at an early phase has allowed both our infection control experts at UPMC and our counties to track down cases and contain clusters. Hence, the region’s efforts at social distancing and isolation are paying off. On behalf of all our health care colleagues, we thank you for your continued vigilance. Now, more than ever, we must continue these important mitigation efforts.

Late last week, scientists at UPMC and the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine announced a potential vaccine against SARS-CoV-2, the new coronavirus causing the COVID-19 pandemic. A paper on the vaccine appeared April 2 in EBioMedicine. It is the first study on a potential COVID-19 vaccine to be published after peer review from scientific experts. You can learn more about this exciting announcement in the article below.

Finally, we continue to be incredibly proud of the job all our employees are doing in the fight against COVID-19. Each day brings new challenges, and this amazing team remains focused on providing high-quality care to those suffering from COVID-19 disorders and to the many other patients whom we continue to serve across a spectrum

------------------------------------------
Scientists at UPMC and the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine have announced a potential vaccine against SARS-CoV-2, the new coronavirus causing the COVID-19 pandemic.

When tested in mice, the vaccine produces antibodies specific to SARS-CoV-2 at quantities thought to be enough to neutralize the virus. This marks the first study on a potential COVID-19 vaccine to be published after a critique from fellow scientists at outside institutions.

The research team calls this vaccine PittCoVacc, short for Pittsburgh Coronavirus Vaccine.

Scientists also use a new approach to deliver the drug, called a microneedle array, to increase potency. This array is a fingertip-sized patch of 400 tiny needles that deliver spike protein pieces into the skin, where the immune reaction is the strongest.

The patch goes on like a Band-Aid®, and the needles, which are made entirely of sugar and protein pieces, simply dissolve into the skin.
COVID-19 Vaccine Candidate Shows Promise

New "players" to this game are always welcome. :cool:

Pitt isn't exactly a new player, in fact, I have UPMC as my medical coverage.

No, I didn't mean that in a literal sense. Only that they are recently joining what appears to be a list of organizations of very talented people dedicated to successfully creating a vaccine.

The more the better. Though I do wonder just how long- or short this list actually is. No doubt such entities will be highly experienced with vaccine development, such as Johnson & Johnson.

No, I didn't mean that in a literal sense. Only that they are joining what appears to be a list of organizations of very talented people dedicated to successfully creating a vaccine.

The more the better. Though I do wonder just how long- or short this list actually is.
Mercy Hospital is a part of UPMC.
Mercy was where they patched me back together after my TBI

I have total faith in UPMC's abilities :cool:

Mercy Hospital is a part of UPMC.
Mercy was where they patched me back together after my TBI

I have total faith in UPMC's abilities :cool:

Works for me. That's a helluva endorsement. :cool::cool::cool:

This is a war. We are hearing about all those on the front lines, but those behind the lines are just as important.

Last edited:
That's good news about a potential vaccine, and I like the idea of a patch to deliver it, made of sugar and protein baby needles. Hopeful.

Thanks @Nitro for the update. We just keep moving forward. This was truly a big test presented to the world, and we all came together in the end. I am just glad l didn't have to make life or death decisions in the hospitals.

I've been on lockdown for 5 weeks now, only venturing out for supplies or exercise. It's the shops that I find
most unnerving tbh, for example. Last week whilst a waited at the till queue I suddenly smelt the funk of
bronchial something & it was strong. It was a smell that I recalled from years back when my dad had the flu.
I thought about running..., i thought a lot at that moment but kinda gave up on that idea held my breath as
best I could, paid & got away from there. Then on getting home I proceeded to out of fear gargle some strong
mouthwash for a good 2 minutes. Making sure that some splashed around the back of my throat. I was a bit
of a fool here because i allowed it to go up the back of my nose... ouch yeah rough, not ever again. I
then spent the evening ruminating my timing & my stupidly inspired disinfection.

I'm kind of lucky that where i live it's very rural & quite easy to generally keep out of the way of others.

If you want to do something & have an PC you could try looking at Folding@Home. There's a major world
wide project to utilise PC's in a distributed network. It's a major part of the "COVID Moonshot" program.
They are at the 2 Exaflop level currently & the progress on the issue is astounding. Another astounding thing
is how bloody hard it is for the computational models to crunch the folding of proteins etc in time to be of
any relevance.. ie- One slice X 1 PC = say 100 years..

Here's a link to something interesting on Folding@Home.
Capturing the COVID-19 Demogorgon (aka spike) in action
Capturing the COVID-19 Demogorgon (aka spike) in action – Folding@home

There are guides on how to setup the client (use Google if stuck). Its easy to register for just watch out if
you run only on a CPU as it will get very toasty using up a fair bit of electricity. I'm only using my nice new
5700xt graphics card & not the 6core 12 thread CPU as the heat in my room was too much with both + Slight
concern for my electricity bill using the CPU as it'd use more for a lot less return compared to the VGA card.

It helps to take some control & this is one way to help the world if you can spare the resources.
It's made me feel very good being part of this massive collaboration in this time of need.

Stay safe & well everyone, best wishes to all.

Last edited:
This isn't over, but the positive news stories are good to read.

This morning I was called by the Nebraska Medical Center and was told that I was in the high risk category. I was told to stay home for the next two weeks. I was told that the virus is expected to get very bad during the next two weeks.

Good news for all concerned. I managed to score another month worth of toilet paper & was able to get all the supplies needed to make Lucy's dog food. Will update when I have cookie making supplies.

Local medical authorities are saying that our "curve" may not level off for another 40 to 60 days. Ugh.

But then no one really knows for sure what the long term situation may look like. All I know is that hunkering down indoors and not venturing outside is easier said than done. I don't socialize, but I miss my personal freedom. But in this case it's freedom that might potentially cost me everything, even though I can mathematically rationalize the possibilities to my advantage.

What a weird spot to be in, though I'm not alone in it. :oops:

New Threads

Top Bottom