• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Current book(s) you're reading?

About halfway through The Subtle Knife, book 2 of the trilogy I mentioned above (His Dark Materials). I have a really lovely boxed set that I found at some bookshop someplace at some time, and which seems to no longer be available, but of course there are other editions out there.

subtle_knife_philip_pullman.jpg

Finished His Dark Materials...The Amber Spyglass, while it had moments of arresting beauty, was ultimately disappointing...kind of what I remember from when I initially read it way back when, in fact.

Right now I'm reading a children's book called Mockingbird, whose protagonist (and first-person narrator) is a young girl with Aspergers. It's funny, because I was shelving new acquisitions today (I work in a bookshop, for those who don't know), and I came across this one and decided to buy it (yay employee discounts!); and, another book I shelved was one with the same title, only it was a biography of Harper Lee. But I love children's books, and I've never actually read a book whose protagonist is autistic (though I understand there are a good many out there now).

I have a few on the go -
The autobiographies of Simome deBouviour (on the second- there are 4)

A book on U2 called (surprise!) U2 by U2

How the Irish Saved Civilization

Christ of the Celts

Crime & Punishment

and a few others that have gotten 'colder' than my current ones. Also a few more I plan to stsrt in the next few days. I have always read about 10 books at a time since childhood.

I'm currently reading 4 (well, mostly re-reading, technically.) I often will switch back and forth depending on my mood at the given time or if something I've just seen or read online triggered more interest in one over the others.
1. The Road to Middle-Earth - Tom Shippey
2. De Vita Caesarum - Suetonius
3. Lord of the Rings - JRR Tolkien
4. Rhetoric - Aristotle
Your book choices are closest to what I would like. I would read all of those. (Read LOTR 2 years ago - awesome!)

My aspergers is still very new to me...(2 months). Recently, I've been reading books about aspergers written by females. Temple Grandin, Jean Kearnes Miller, Rudy Simone... etc. Influential authors who are very new to me. I'm trying to raise my own awareness, and learn to understand myself better.

I got this from the library yesterday, I've been meaning to check out this writer's work for a long time:

Stealer%20of%20Souls.jpg

This is a song based on Elric with lyrics co-written by Moorcock:

I realized there are so many books that I started and, in the midst of a major depressive episode, forgot about, so I've finally resumed Paul Offit's Autism's False Prophets. I'm also humoring everyone by reading The Fault in Our Stars.

I've been hopping around between books, but the one I'm currently focused on is Catherynne Valente's The Orphan's Tales: In the Night Garden. I honestly have no idea why she is not more widely known, as she is the most imaginative and gifted fantasy/magical-realism writer alive that I have read.

(My avatar, in fact, is an illustration from a wonderful children's book she wrote called The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making.)

Just read the first few chapters of Le petit prince (in French), which I haven't read since high school. It's lovely.

Finished The Great Gatsby earlier today, haven't decided what book to read next so mostly just browsing my own book collection, but it looks like Walden might be next.

Obama's America: Unmaking The American Dream by Dinesh D'Souza. Recommended reading for anyone who wants to stop the madness. ;)

I'm re-reading 'The Rosie Project', a rom-com about a guy who is probably an aspie, trying to find a partner.

I just finished reading "Uncle Tom's Cabin". It is a good book and very insightful, when you consider when it was written.

New Threads

Top Bottom