• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Curious about others interpretations of this Bible verse.

That's an example of cherry-picking, choosing what to believe out of the rules. More and more rules are dropped because they are dysfunctional but the religion itself still stands as an illusion and is broadly used in many strict religious cults to gain money, to kill, to control. God is very money hungry. Why does he need money if he's omnipotent? Shouldnt prayers do it?
Well, frankly I think it’s the other way around, you’re looking at all the interpretations, without considering the validity of them and considering the possibility that one might actually be true, as opposed instead of viewing all of them as equally false.

As for money, the Church needs money, because the priests need the money in order to live while administering the Sacraments to us, and we need the Sacraments because God made us to be physical creatures as well as spiritual creatures and thus, the Sacraments enable us to physically participate in the life of Christ; the body is considered sacred to us Catholics, as it’s part of our human life which is also sacred. Now if someone is in a position where it is impossible to receive the Sacraments then yes, prayer alone would suffice for that person to receive the graces he or she needs; but the way the Lord wants it is for us to receive the Sacraments He gives and participate fully, body, will and mind, in the Church He has established for us.

Mathew 6:19-6:21
Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal:
But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal:
For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.

What kind of treasure is this?

Hopes and dreams?

I interpret this verse as saying that treasures aren't material possessions, but something immaterial that one possesses, such as characteristics in a person that are generally deemed good - such as being honest and truthful, being kind to others, giving and sharing with others - that type of treasure, and that these good characteristics are what a person should cherish.

Well, frankly I think it’s the other way around, you’re looking at all the interpretations, without considering the validity of them and considering the possibility that one might actually be true, as opposed instead of viewing all of them as equally false.

As for money, the Church needs money, because the priests need the money in order to live while administering the Sacraments to us, and we need the Sacraments because God made us to be physical creatures as well as spiritual creatures and thus, the Sacraments enable us to physically participate in the life of Christ; the body is considered sacred to us Catholics, as it’s part of our human life which is also sacred. Now if someone is in a position where it is impossible to receive the Sacraments then yes, prayer alone would suffice for that person to receive the graces he or she needs; but the way the Lord wants it is for us to receive the Sacraments He gives and participate fully, body, will and mind, in the Church He has established for us.

The validity consideration of them is actually what I'm using as a reason to question that belief. The belief exists, right? How can we prove it's true?

What interpretation is the one you are believing? Are there all interpretations that make sense to you? Can they all be true at the same time? If so, why would you say the version I'm looking at is wrong? Is there one wrong because it's not holding up currently but the rest are still right?

Seems to suggest to avoid focusing on earthly goods and possessions.

This is quite poignant - especially in this day and age where capitalism, consumerism and marketing has people constantly on a quest to obtain more and more things. That indeed is where a lot of people's hearts lie - in obtaining more and more.

Whereas this verse suggests the reader lives a life that would grant you eternal life in heaven would be not only better for you in this life, but also in the afterlife.

Ed

If you never read or researched the new covenant(testament)Yeshua(jesus)says the kingdom of heaven is at hand but when the earth becomes sinless(sin is actually any or whatever causes death(of whatever is able to die) by malice) again what you can take is immortal so before or after search for immortal treasure.

Seems to suggest to avoid focusing on earthly goods and possessions.

This is quite poignant - especially in this day and age where capitalism, consumerism and marketing has people constantly on a quest to obtain more and more things. That indeed is where a lot of people's hearts lie - in obtaining more and more.

Whereas this verse suggests the reader lives a life that would grant you eternal life in heaven would be not only better for you in this life, but also in the afterlife.

Ed
Mm, yes, that's what I was thinking too (about capitalism, specifically).

Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal:
But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal:

Hopes and dreams?

Christ said the two great commandments were to love God and love others. From that, I would guess that the greatest treasures are those that fulfill those commandments - our relationship to God and our relationship to others.

We won't be able to take our money, possessions, or awards with us when we die, but our relationships can persist. If we have fostered a relationship with God, we can enjoy being in his presence. If we have good relationships with others, we can also enjoy being in their presence.

While I very much believe this, I feel somewhat handicapped by ASD. The most fundamental purpose of our existence - developing relationships - is the thing I'm the worst at. I still try, though.

Hopes and dreams?
Wealth, status, belongings, happiness found in "impure" ways such as drink or drugs?

Be good in earthly life as taught by the Bible, and reap far better rewards in the afterlife?

Hopes and dreams?
Just a guess
Role Models
Creativity
Right attitude.

Christ said the two great commandments were to love God and love others. From that, I would guess that the greatest treasures are those that fulfill those commandments - our relationship to God and our relationship to others.

We won't be able to take our money, possessions, or awards with us when we die, but our relationships can persist. If we have fostered a relationship with God, we can enjoy being in his presence. If we have good relationships with others, we can also enjoy being in their presence.

While I very much believe this, I feel somewhat handicapped by ASD. The most fundamental purpose of our existence - developing relationships - is the thing I'm the worst at. I still try, though.

If God gave you these challenges, then he would judge you accordingly, based not on your success, but on how you face these challenges, your resolve and determination to try, despite knowing the odds are against you?

The validity consideration of them is actually what I'm using as a reason to question that belief. The belief exists, right? How can we prove it's true?

What interpretation is the one you are believing? Are there all interpretations that make sense to you? Can they all be true at the same time? If so, why would you say the version I'm looking at is wrong? Is there one wrong because it's not holding up currently but the rest are still right?
No I’m saying that one is true and the others are false, while you bringing a morally undesirable interpretation, seems to imply that you are going by the assumption that all interpretations are equally false.

Sorry it took me so long to reply, I’ve been busy trying to build my website and running into issues because of it. I’ll try to discuss more tomorrow.

No I’m saying that one is true and the others are false, while you bringing a morally undesirable interpretation, seems to imply that you are going by the assumption that all interpretations are equally false.

Sorry it took me so long to reply, I’ve been busy trying to build my website and running into issues because of it. I’ll try to discuss more tomorrow.
I think everything can be interpreted to mean whatever else than was intended to be transmitted, but words are indicative of the meaning. It's written so because slavery wasn't regarded as wrong by the God and "savior". Do you have any reason to believe he's against slavery, especially since he expects blind trust, constant worship and subservience, creates and tempts, even guides and then kills and punishes for it instead of even a 21st century decent relationship? When he believes women should be owned and done anything desired with by men? Sure sounds to me like this God is very into the mindset of middle aged writers rather than possessing and bringing anything that actually helps humanity be guided in the right way. Humans did way more on their own, without religion, even atheists did. It seems to me like if he didnt exist, humanity could have made it just the same because whats taught there hasnt brought any great benefit or positive change to humanity, quite contrary, it has specifically brought war in the name of religion and their gods. Had churches back then, have churches today. What did the bible really change? is more so a story of those times but even religion cant go on with most practices that were being taught and done then for long-term.

[its ok if it goes slow, people normally dont always have the time or mood to discuss]

Last edited:
I think everything can be interpreted to mean whatever else than was intended to be transmitted, but words are indicative of the meaning. It's written so because slavery wasn't regarded as wrong by the God and "savior". Do you have any reason to believe he's against slavery, especially since he expects blind trust, constant worship and subservience, creates and tempts, even guides and then kills and punishes for it instead of even a 21st century decent relationship? When he believes women should be owned and done anything desired with by men? Sure sounds to me like this God is very into the mindset of middle aged writers rather than possessing and bringing anything that actually helps humanity be guided in the right way. Humans did way more on their own, without religion, even atheists did. It seems to me like if he didnt exist, humanity could have made it just the same because whats taught there hasnt brought any great benefit or positive change to humanity, quite contrary, it has specifically brought war in the name of religion and their gods. Had churches back then, have churches today. What did the bible really change? is more so a story of those times but even religion cant go on with most practices that were being taught and done then for long-term.

[its ok if it goes slow, people normally dont always have the time or mood to discuss]
Frankly that proves what I’ve been saying, that you’re treating all interpretations as equal wrong, and then taking the worst possible interpretation and applying it. You even ignore historical circumstances that show otherwise, like the fact that one segment of the Roman population among which the Faith grew the most, was the slave class itself; due to the fact that it taught them that they had inalienable human dignity and value. Or the fact that the Middle Ages was radically different from the Greco-Roman period and was yes, the time period in which Church officials like St. Anselm, first started preaching against slavery.

@Wolfsage you probably already received this information from other posts on here, but I’m reading a Catechism called My Catholic Faith and in it, there is a passage that might apply to this:
2. Many people spend their lives in a vain pursuit of riches, honors, and pleasures. But these never satisfy the heart of man even on earth. Besides, they have to be left behind when the hour of death comes.

“For when he shall die, he shall take nothing away; nor shall his glory descend with him” (Psalm 48:18)

I'm not sure if this is any help to you at all Wolfsage but, whenever my unconscious refers to 'money' or 'wealth' its always referring to wisdom or generally speaking, 'knowledge of all the things that happen that the mind misses but the brain still sees' for lack of a better way of describing it. My perception is that it is the unconscious that connects to 'heaven'. Because the mind loves itself more than god it has been cast out just as Adam and Eve were cast out of Eden. There are parts of the brain however that still connect to what is described as Eden. This is where the true treasure lies. I'm not a Christian but I still see value in the religion. For what it's worth, my suggestion is to explore the frontier that lies within you rather than the frontier that lies within the bible. Doing so may lead you to a better understanding of what the bible tries to communicate.

I've been considering the wording carefully. What a treasure is to the heart. It's not in money or wealth. It's hopes and dreams we have. Set up for yourself treasures in Heaven. I don't believe the wording indicats this a reward for works we do on Earth. Since it says to set up for yourself treasures in Heaven. I believe this is hopes and dreams each of us carry. Maybe you can pray to God and ask for it to be fulfilled in Heaven. So long as it is not sinful or goes against the commandments and Bible. Just my thoughts.

I've been considering the wording carefully. What a treasure is to the heart. It's not in money or wealth. It's hopes and dreams we have. Set up for yourself treasures in Heaven. I don't believe the wording indicats this a reward for works we do on Earth. Since it says to set up for yourself treasures in Heaven. I believe this is hopes and dreams each of us carry. Maybe you can pray to God and ask for it to be fulfilled in Heaven. So long as it is not sinful or goes against the commandments and Bible. Just my thoughts.
One really nice way to meditate upon a passage in philosophy is to write it out, as lettering practice. Also when I studied the Bible I got this software from cosmi it had several different translations to compare to. Some folks get uptight about that, that there is only one version that's ok to read or something. I like the new oxford annotated, great shield reads the modern English catholic study bible, a Baptist will I think insist on king james(?)
Here's a favorite
" Hide thee not thy light under a bushel basket.... " I think it's fun to compare a favorite verse through different translations

That is sooo off topic. Slavery was totally the norm then, everyone was someone else's property

New Threads

Top Bottom