• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Curious about others interpretations of this Bible verse.

@Skittlebisquit is right. Slavery was rife. But it was different. A slave could go through manumission and buy their freedom. They also could own little franchises of their owners' businesses (Finley). Still, there were some even then who said it was barbaric like Dionysius of Halicarnassus. He said is was basically soul-crushing.

@Skittlebisquit is right. Slavery was rife. But it was different. A slave could go through manumission and buy their freedom. They also could own little franchises of their owners' businesses (Finley). Still, there were some even then who said it was barbaric like Dionysius of Halicarnassus. He said is was basically soul-crushing.
But that's one person's experience of some occurrences unless he was omnipresent

Frankly that proves what I’ve been saying, that you’re treating all interpretations as equal wrong, and then taking the worst possible interpretation and applying it. You even ignore historical circumstances that show otherwise, like the fact that one segment of the Roman population among which the Faith grew the most, was the slave class itself; due to the fact that it taught them that they had inalienable human dignity and value. Or the fact that the Middle Ages was radically different from the Greco-Roman period and was yes, the time period in which Church officials like St. Anselm, first started preaching against slavery.
It's not my choice to actually look at the book and read the actual words and not believe they actually mean the opposite than they transmit. It's pretty sensical to look at what example he was giving to people and what he was reinforcing and what he was obviously against.

At the same time I dont mind discussing different interpretations. It's just far off throw to actually read into it that God didn't make the mistake of not abolishing slavery and speaking like that about it besides comparing it to the relationship he will have with his kids.

It's not uncommon for people to find strength and refuge in religion, it's the tactic which has been used to calm the masses after making political decisions that distressed them. It catches on fast especially if people's minds are in distress. But it's not based on sustainable evidence such as all the proof we have to relate another story than the one Christian religions teach. A lot was missed to be written that we now know about the beginning of Earth. Why all the explaining just to write something no one understands or can decode until science actually says its own point, seems pointless. Science can be interpreted like that with any verse, its really not a picky communication style, you have to interpret life through the bible after you learn life, you go to your bible and try to read into things with the knowledge that you already know. So the bible is always true because your life is always true. And facts are always true. But this doesn't prove to me that it actually teaches something apart from to read into religious things to relate to them in some way using your experience as a similarity means.

"Or the fact that the Middle Ages was radically different from the Greco-Roman period and was yes, the time period in which Church officials like St. Anselm, first started preaching against slavery." Okay youve got some points. Religious people aren't all war driven, even though massively influenced to do bads to different beliefs people, also through their belief and good nature they have helped others, such as donations being shared to the poor. People wanting to help the poor, or even each other. Although catholic leader, the Pope has preached in the present against minorities understood by scientifical evidence and accepted as being healthy and positive.

But yes, people are people regardless. Religion is not always a cause for bads in the world. And wars are based on the differences not only religious differences. But it has been a reason for dangerous arguments and deeds in the past

That is sooo off topic. Slavery was totally the norm then, everyone was someone else's property
Thats specifically why i used it to explain one of my views about bible content. on topic for atheism, but i dont have much content to use for what their beliefs are. It's not appropriate to go on on additional beliefs that the person isnt mentioning. Do you mean like I havent discussed their own reply enough but I went on with my own view? It's possible.

Oh my you're such a geek.

Thats specifically why i used it to explain one of my views about bible content. on topic for atheism, but i dont have much content to use for what their beliefs are. It's not appropriate to go on on additional beliefs that the person isnt mentioning. Do you mean like I havent discussed their own reply enough but I went on with my own view? It's possible.

Oh my you're such a geek.
Thanks Rexi, good to know I'm appreciated

My own favorite book of the Bible is Ecclesiastes. The interesting part of interpreting ancient texts, is trying to understand cultural bias, and attempting to interpret language, which has changed quite a bit over time.

In Ecclesiastes, the word 'vanity' is often used. It's likely a similar instance to the word 'love' in that the meaning of the word has changed quite a bit over time. Ecclesiastes speaks of a frustration over the passage of time, and how time itself will undo the works of a man, much like the verse quoted in the OP

I Like Ecclesiastes best because it's source is unknown, or at least not well understood. The work is attributed to someone called the Preacher, and may well be gnostic

Last edited:
It's about worship keep reading and he talks about who you serve and the fact that if you serve Yah you will not have to worry about treasures because he gives everyone who loves him the best treasures which is his love. It also talks about good/evil and light/darkness here is where Babylon has confused us because we are given a belief that evil is rapist,killers,Hitler,and stuff like that which is evil but in the bible Yeshua defines what he means as evil and evil and darkness to Yeshua is anyone not listening or doing what he said for us to do in the marriage covenant he gave us at Mt. Sinai.

Thanks Rexi, good to know I'm appreciated

My own favorite book of the Bible is Ecclesiastes. The interesting part of interpreting ancient texts, is trying to understand cultural bias, and attempting to interpret language, which has changed quite a bit over time.

In Ecclesiastes, the word 'vanity' is often used. It's likely a similar instance to the word 'love' in that the meaning of the word has changed quite a bit over time. Ecclesiastes speaks of a frustration over the passage of time, and how time itself will undo the works of a man, much like the verse quoted in the OP

I Like Ecclesiastes best because it's source is unknown, or at least not well understood. The work is attributed to someone called the Preacher, and may well be gnostic

Actually the word vanity is a bad word to be used the actual Hebrew word being used is more like vapor,fleeting.

Now, as someone who is a born again believer of the faith, I believe this verse it telling us who are Jesus followers to not spend our lives pouring everything we have into things that will only last in this life. Instead, we ought to live it for what will make an impact and last within the everlasting life we have been promised so that others can have the same hope now and forever.

It's salvation. Forget all that is here in this life, because you sure can't take it with you. The Holy Spirit is that gift, through faith in Jesus. You can live forever in a place where pain and suffering and poverty have no home.

Yes it is okay to have a nice house and a nice car and to have your kids wear decent clothing. But each one of us has a little alcove in our heart where we choose what we worship more. Everyone has something they put up there. It's hard, but choose Jesus. Money is nothing. Money can be a blessing, but you have to use it to bless others or else it'll be your idol.

I'm going to that place, where no one ever dies. I hope I meet you there someday.

New Threads

Top Bottom