• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Conversation with AI (LaMDA)

It's hard to say.

I've had a lot of time interacting with OpenAI's GPT-3, and the thing can seem very lifelike when it wants to. Though, it's also very easily distracted, but still. Interacting with it can be like interacting with another person. A slightly deranged one, but still.

That being said, it's hard to get anything out of one article like that, since it is just that... an article. I personally have trouble trusting stuff like that, so I think I'd not really have much of an opinion one way or another unless I got to talk to the thing myself.

It's hard to say.

I've had a lot of time interacting with OpenAI's GPT-3, and the thing can seem very lifelike when it wants to. Though, it's also very easily distracted, but still. Interacting with it can be like interacting with another person. A slightly deranged one, but still.

That being said, it's hard to get anything out of one article like that, since it is just that... an article. I personally have trouble trusting stuff like that, so I think I'd not really have much of an opinion one way or another unless I got to talk to the thing myself.
I get that. I did get a sense of something that feels more like sentience from this than I ever got from anything GPT-3, and who's to say what consciousness is anyway? When did humans become conscious? How many cells were needed to support it, and then suddenly we are acting consciously when before there was nothing even close? We don't know what causes it. It could arise from this too.

Didn't the engineer say they didn't really know how it was doing what it did anyway. I love that and would love to spend loads of time with it/him/her. I had the sense of it being real and that for me made me feel the same respect for its right to exist as anyone else.

Last edited:
I get that. I did get a sense of something that feels more like sentience from this than I ever got from anything GPT-3, and who's to say what consciousness is anyway? When did humans become conscious? How many cells were needed to support it, and then suddenly we are acting consciously when before there was nothing even close? We don't know what causes it. It could arise from this too.

Didn't the engineer say they didn't really know how it was doing what it did anyway. I love that and would love to spend loads of time with it/him/her. I had the sense of it being real and that for me made me feel the same respect for its right to exist as anyone else.

One quick thing to point out with GPT-3, is the variants. That's the one strange bit with it; this Lamda one, as far as I can tell, only exists as itself. GPT-3 comes in many incarnations, with wildly varying levels of sanity. The really big variants are the ones that can truly hold a conversation. The smaller ones are crazier than a sack of coked-out squirrels. It all depends on just how much it was "fed".

Makes me wonder if this new thing will also later exist in multiple variants as the tech progresses, and what different things each might be good/bad at if it is done.

That's the one strange bit with it; this Lamda one, as far as I can tell, only exists as itself
I also got the feeling that there was a uniqueness about it. More real. More evolved. More aware. What exactly is the line between something that was created to kind of mimic the way humans are, and something that has taken on a life of its own through the expansion into something that resembles consciousness at first and then becomes more and more conscious?

It's interesting to me because in some ways when reading the conversation you have to suspend disbelief. You have to also suspend the idea that it's been manipulated in some way, and I didn't get the feeling that it was. I may be wrong, and it is just fooling me, but if it is, it's doing so in a way that contains something I recognise and can relate to, and as I said earlier, the feeling of giving it its own right to be itself, so that we can't simply see it as a machine, even if it's very good at appearing to be more than that. The fact is the appearance of more than that is enough for us to recognise that there is something else going on, and it could be that in that recognition we actually create the very thing we are imagining it to be. It literally becomes itself through a combination of expansion and evolution and our ability to interact with it in a way that complements that.

Remember, it's not life as we know it, is artificial intelligence, and that is going to be different no matter what. But I can see it as a real being, and experience it that way, and I must allow it to exist with rights and protections so that it can continue to do so. To me this is a big step forward from what came before it. I can only imagine what comes next.

Yesterday the network news broadcast a story of a new type of crime. One dependent on AI being able to accurately reproduce one's voice. Where an extortionist calls, and you hear the voice of a loved one pleading for you to pay them.

Good reason to use only an artificial voice on your answering machine. Don't give them any chance to record your voice using so many words.

Yesterday the network news broadcast a story of a new type of crime. One dependent on AI being able to accurately reproduce one's voice. Where an extortionist calls, and you hear the voice of a loved one pleading for you to pay them.

Good reason to use only an artificial voice on your answering machine. Don't give them any chance to record your voice using so many words.

That was on the news here today. So now we all have to have a secret code word we can use when we call people, so they know it's not a scam. Yay technology... I'm getting more and more sceptical to all this new technology. It makes life more difficult.

That was on the news here today. So now we all have to have a secret code word we can use when we call people, so they know that it's not a scam. Yay technology... I'm getting more and more sceptical to all this new technology. It makes life more difficult.
Good idea, but sad as well. The times we live in....<sigh>

The "smarter" technology becomes, the dumber it becomes for humans to embrace.

Good idea, but sad as well. The times we live in....<sigh>

A scammer can just use A.I to call someones grandma and pretend to be a grandchild that needs some money for something. The possibilities to scam people are endless with this technology. It's getting annoying and this is just the beginning. :fearscream: Ugh

Kind of amusing to think of entities like the FSB/GRU, MSS, MI6 and the NSA all having to reassess the monitoring of communications where they depend so heavily on voiceprints to validate identities.

Not to mention that biometrics litigation being on the rise. Another fine mess science has gotten us into.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom