• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Coffee. I want to talk about coffee.

I’m very sensitive to caffeine so I don’t drink a lot of coffee. However, I work next to an Italian coffee bar, so sometimes I treat myself to a lovely latte macchiato. I also work next to a Starbucks. Sometimes I get one of their seasonal coffees, but I don’t do it too often because they’re calorie bombs more often than not.

I make coffee in a tea strainer. (I have a strainer from Teavana, which isn't made anymore, but there's a similar thing called a Finum brew basket which is said to be the best for this.)

Put 2 tbsp coffee in strainer, pour water over, set timer for 4 minutes. Easy peasy. Cleanup takes seconds (just rinse filter. Probably dedicate that filter to coffee only as the oils will stick.)

Everything I read says you can't use plain pre-ground canned coffee for this, it needs to be medium or course ground. I of course, do in fact use pre-ground canned coffee for this. The result is rich and creamy (depending on the coffee - Maxwell House does not in fact get rich and creamy.) with a bit of sludge in the bottom of the cup which I just don't consume (discard the last sip.) Very similar to French Press coffee, without the fragile glass thing. Takes up almost no space on my kitchen counter. Easier even than drip coffee.

I suppose for so long I avoided drinking coffee on a regular basis as I don't need or want the caffeine. Even went to decaf (Constant Comment) tea. Well, after all these years I finally bought a simple and inexpensive B&D drip coffee maker and compromised with Dunkin Donuts decaf. I like this one as it has its own filter and can accommodate a carafe, tall mug or short mug. And I can add as much coffee grounds as I want.

Easy to clean as well. I'm using distilled water though as our tap water is quite hard. Figured the distilled water will be more forgiving over the long haul. I don't see myself cleaning the device with white vinegar either.

My palette for determining good coffee is pretty simple, and I thought this medium roast coffee tasted quite good. I can only speculate that perhaps the caffeinated version may be a little more robust. I'll probably buy a caffeinated coffee just to compare, though it won't be anything like "Death Wish" Coffee. Don't need my hair to stand on end just for a nice cup of good-tasting coffee. Funny to read so many individual customer reviews over likes and dislikes of coffee. You'd have thought they were discussing politics or Star Wars !

Anyways I actually felt I got what I was looking for with my first coffee purchase. This is good! :)

BLACK+DECKER 5 Cup 4-in-1 Station Coffeemaker - Stainless Steel CM0750S

Last edited:
I've stopped drinking coffee completely. I quit already before, but tried it again for some months. Doesn't work out for me so now I'm back to Green Tea instead and enjoy that even more.

Seems to me that once you eliminate caffeine from the equation, drinking coffee isn't much of an issue. Though I suppose for some that may be a huge issue based on taste and overall perception.

Funny how militant some folks can be over their own sense of taste. But then if you truly feel you need that boost of energy every morning, that I can understand as well. It's just that in my case I always pay a price for getting hooked on caffeine. And I no longer need any boost of energy in the morning anyways.

But it is nice for a change to drink a hot cup of coffee on a very cold morning than my usual cup of hot tea.

Last edited:
Do you like coffee? yes i like
Do you drink coffee? yes i do
Are you addicted to coffee? Good Question, i wish to know i am addicted to the Cappuccinos
Do you have coffee preferences? The Cappuccinos
Do you have anything at all to say about coffee? just i like the Cappuccinos by the milk foam

Although I like the aroma of coffee I've never liked the taste of it, apart from as a flavour in cakes and puddings. This all the more odd considering that I have an Italian surname, am of more recent German ancestry and look Scandinavian. Something obviously went wrong with my genetic inheritance!
I had a cappuccino on the evening of 31 January after a vigil to mourn the UK's departure from the EU. What better way to mark my continuing Europhilia? And I'm sold. <3
XQXSUSY5oQoVcK5p7

Last edited:
As long as I can remember I've been sensitive to caffeine. It gives me jitters. I also have a sleep disorder so no caffeine...doctor's orders. Every so often I drink decaf, iced coffee with Splenda and lots of milk. I usually use 1/4 the decaf coffee base on anything I order at Starbuck's for it to be enjoyable to me.

Last edited:
I like coffee, and drink it on occasion. I use espresso roast in a French press. It makes for a wonderfully full-bodied, rich cup of coffee, without the burnt, or, somewhat acidic flavor that French roast can have. I drink it with heavy cream and, on occasion, cinnamon, iced or hot. When I drink it hot, I like to add a bit of dark chocolate, as well. :herb:

Last edited:
I like coffee, and drink it on occasion. I use espresso roast in a French press. It makes for a wonderfully full-bodied, rich cup of coffee, without the burnt, or, somewhat acidic flavor that French roast can have. I drink it with heavy cream and, on occasion, cinnamon, iced or hot. When I drink it hot, I like to add a bit of dark chocolate, as well. :herb:

That sounded perfect - My idea of utopia!

I've got a coffee machine. Thankfully it takes ground (non-instant) coffee. It makes a lovely espresso.

Problem is, I'm greedy and when I make one I fill the espresso cup all the way. It fits 6 in total.

So I call it a hexspresso.

AuKJlVF.gif

Ed

Despite caffeine usually being a stimulant it has the opposite effect on me. It can either just relax my nerves or make me quite tired. My reflexes become slower and I react with less speed in conversations. Everything becomes rather mellow and my mind is less sharp / more at rest and fuzzy when I've had coffee. This is why I avoid it unless I know that I can afford to be in that state of mind for the rest of the day. I've tried having coffee in a variety of ways to test whether it was just the heat or milk making me tired. However, regardless of how I have coffee the end result is the same. This has been particularly jarring when I've been in a hyperactive state, and I've suddenly ended up feeling tired after having coffee.

I like the smell of coffee; I find it calming. Apparently some people find it energising but personally when I smell coffee I feel chilled out. I avoid coffee if I need to concentrate, be creative, or otherwise be particularly mentally sharp.

When I have something with quite a bit of sugar and caffeine in...things get strange. I get hyper from sugar quite easily. Sometimes the sugar and caffeine balance each other out. However, there are circumstances where I'll have something with quite a lot of sugar and caffeine in then I'll see-saw between feeling drowsy to wanting to run around manically. During this state I can't really focus on anything and my thoughts seem to blur into each other in a confusing mush as they collide and squash together.

Although I like having coffee, I can only have it when I'm taking a day off, otherwise it ruins my progress since it makes me want to have a nap or zone out and stare at the ceiling for an hour or so. I usually only have it once every couple of months.

Last edited:
I do not like coffee. It tastes bitter to me and had a bad after taste. However, I understand why people like it and how it can help people get through the day.

I do not like coffee. It tastes bitter to me and had a bad after taste. However, I understand why people like it and how it can help people get through the day.
I've found that European style coffee is both bitter and over-roasted. But it's a style some like. I prefer much less bitterness if at all, such as Dunkin Donuts or McCafe coffees. Recently tried Gevalia's Expresso dark roast, but that's the one I found overly bitter and burnt. Wouldn't buy it again.

I have a chance to purchase some "Death Wish" coffee...at a smaller cost and packaging. I should probably do that just to see if their ratings match my own taste. At a time when I'm able to stay up for maybe 96 hours at a stretch...lol. Then again my metabolism may not handle that much caffeine. I have no idea....but for it to be allegedly so good-tasting has my attention.

I still need to try "Eight O'Clock" coffee as well. Another moderately priced coffee that's supposed to be quite good. But without shocking amounts of caffeine I really don't need.

I do enjoy coffee. Though because I am being more mindful about caffeine. I will drink decaf more often, than not. I don't touch creamers and sugar with coffee anymore.

I do enjoy coffee. Though because I am being more mindful about caffeine. I will drink decaf more often, than not. I don't touch creamers and sugar with coffee anymore.
Yep, that's why I try to keep some Dunkin Donuts Decaf around. Good tasting, but without the "zing".

Do you like coffee?
Do you drink coffee?
Are you addicted to coffee?
Do you have coffee preferences?
Do you have anything at all to say about coffee?

I like coffee -- the caffeinated variety. I am mildly addicted to it.

I prefer percolated or french press coffee, but I currently make it in a regular cooking pot on the stove -- "cowboy coffee". (This is to minimize the amount of dishwashing I have to do, since percolators and french presses, with their many parts, are a pain to wash.)

I dislike dark roast -- it just tastes burnt to me. I like medium or light roasts.

I put milk in my coffee, but no sugar unless I am also adding cocoa, vanilla, or mint.
I have to be careful about caffeine sometimes I feel violently ill from it
But sometimes I really like it too, the taste and a little buzz
I di not really like iced coffee, I tried it and it is not my favourite
But I like a latte or cappuccino occasionally other than that I would not drink coffee, I do not think but tea particularly I like green tea.
But I had a latte the other day I liked it just like when I was younger a small one
I think coffee beans of a good quality taste better but often I find coffee in general a bit bitter.
Also this as well those coffee making machines and froth machines they use are the reason it tastes so bad in this day and age, if they have proper more old fashioned coffee machines in would taste better for those that really enjoy it
Those stupid machines make it taste like poison
You really feel like vomiting on the first sip

New Threads

Top Bottom