1. Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Coffee. I want to talk about coffee.

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by the_tortoise, Dec 29, 2017.

1. Bolletje

Bolletje Potato chip wizard V.I.P Member

I’m very sensitive to caffeine so I don’t drink a lot of coffee. However, I work next to an Italian coffee bar, so sometimes I treat myself to a lovely latte macchiato. I also work next to a Starbucks. Sometimes I get one of their seasonal coffees, but I don’t do it too often because they’re calorie bombs more often than not.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. SDRSpark

SDRSpark Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

I make coffee in a tea strainer. (I have a strainer from Teavana, which isn't made anymore, but there's a similar thing called a Finum brew basket which is said to be the best for this.)

Put 2 tbsp coffee in strainer, pour water over, set timer for 4 minutes. Easy peasy. Cleanup takes seconds (just rinse filter. Probably dedicate that filter to coffee only as the oils will stick.)

Everything I read says you can't use plain pre-ground canned coffee for this, it needs to be medium or course ground. I of course, do in fact use pre-ground canned coffee for this. The result is rich and creamy (depending on the coffee - Maxwell House does not in fact get rich and creamy.) with a bit of sludge in the bottom of the cup which I just don't consume (discard the last sip.) Very similar to French Press coffee, without the fragile glass thing. Takes up almost no space on my kitchen counter. Easier even than drip coffee.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Judge

Judge Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

I suppose for so long I avoided drinking coffee on a regular basis as I don't need or want the caffeine. Even went to decaf (Constant Comment) tea. Well, after all these years I finally bought a simple and inexpensive B&D drip coffee maker and compromised with Dunkin Donuts decaf. I like this one as it has its own filter and can accommodate a carafe, tall mug or short mug. And I can add as much coffee grounds as I want.

Easy to clean as well. I'm using distilled water though as our tap water is quite hard. Figured the distilled water will be more forgiving over the long haul. I don't see myself cleaning the device with white vinegar either.

My palette for determining good coffee is pretty simple, and I thought this medium roast coffee tasted quite good. I can only speculate that perhaps the caffeinated version may be a little more robust. I'll probably buy a caffeinated coffee just to compare, though it won't be anything like "Death Wish" Coffee. Don't need my hair to stand on end just for a nice cup of good-tasting coffee. Funny to read so many individual customer reviews over likes and dislikes of coffee. You'd have thought they were discussing politics or Star Wars !

Anyways I actually felt I got what I was looking for with my first coffee purchase. This is good! :)

BLACK+DECKER 5 Cup 4-in-1 Station Coffeemaker - Stainless Steel CM0750S

Last edited: Feb 10, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Rasputin

Rasputin Scholar and World Traveler V.I.P Member

I have two cups of coffee every morning, but none after 8 AM.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Cassiopeia

Cassiopeia Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

I've stopped drinking coffee completely. I quit already before, but tried it again for some months. Doesn't work out for me so now I'm back to Green Tea instead and enjoy that even more.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Judge

Judge Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

Seems to me that once you eliminate caffeine from the equation, drinking coffee isn't much of an issue. Though I suppose for some that may be a huge issue based on taste and overall perception.

Funny how militant some folks can be over their own sense of taste. But then if you truly feel you need that boost of energy every morning, that I can understand as well. It's just that in my case I always pay a price for getting hooked on caffeine. And I no longer need any boost of energy in the morning anyways.

But it is nice for a change to drink a hot cup of coffee on a very cold morning than my usual cup of hot tea.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  7. aspie1w

aspie1w Well-Known Member

Do you like coffee? yes i like
    Do you drink coffee? yes i do
    Are you addicted to coffee? Good Question, i wish to know i am addicted to the Cappuccinos
    Do you have coffee preferences? The Cappuccinos
    Do you have anything at all to say about coffee? just i like the Cappuccinos by the milk foam

• Like Like x 4
  8. Aeolienne

Aeolienne Well-Known Member

I had my first cappuccino
    I had a cappuccino on the evening of 31 January after a vigil to mourn the UK's departure from the EU. What better way to mark my continuing Europhilia? And I'm sold. <3
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. HighFunctioningAutist

HighFunctioningAutist New Member

As long as I can remember I've been sensitive to caffeine. It gives me jitters. I also have a sleep disorder so no caffeine...doctor's orders. Every so often I drink decaf, iced coffee with Splenda and lots of milk. I usually use 1/4 the decaf coffee base on anything I order at Starbuck's for it to be enjoyable to me.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020 at 5:24 PM
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Loren

Loren Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

I like coffee, and drink it on occasion. I use espresso roast in a French press. It makes for a wonderfully full-bodied, rich cup of coffee, without the burnt, or, somewhat acidic flavor that French roast can have. I drink it with heavy cream and, on occasion, cinnamon, iced or hot. When I drink it hot, I like to add a bit of dark chocolate, as well. :herb:

Last edited: Feb 13, 2020 at 2:16 PM
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Aspychata

Aspychata My Art Work

That sounded perfect - My idea of utopia!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. SDRSpark

SDRSpark Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

I'm currently hooked on Wegman's brand French Roast - really awesome coffee for a good price.

• Like Like x 1