• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Coffee. I want to talk about coffee.

@Benjamin Dover: what are the different temperatures for different teas?

@LucyPurrs: That is an awesome and much appreciated suggestion but I have not because I have a big problem with the plastic taste (and plastic smell) from coffee machines (also plastic kettles).

I once considered trying to use the stainless steel k-cup pods to steep coffee but they are not sealed at the top and I woud prefer something I don't have to alter (at least not when I'm paying like $30 for it) in order to completely submerge it in hot water and swish it around.

I tried using a tea ball once.....The coffee tasted great, but almost all of the grounds came out of the tea ball and so the sensory experience was unpleasant. (I shall try again if I ever find a really fine-mesh tea ball.)

@Sid Delicious and @Gritches, is it the flavor in its entirety or just the bitterness?

@Gritches, I have both accepted and extended invitations to "go for coffee" and then had something other than coffee at the coffee shop. (Maybe this is weird and I have never noticed, but it has never been a problem for me :) )

For all the tea drinkers, does anyody else like loose leaf teas? I don't always drink loose leaf tea (convenience) but I prefer the taste of it (no paper flavor and the oils are left in).

Also, does anyone who drinks loose leaf tea have a tea steeper shaped like something interesting -- a "fun/creative" tea steeper? I would possibly be a collector of fun/creative tea steepers if I could justify spending money on them ..... mine is shaped like a little teapot. I have many hours just looking at pictures of interesting unconventional tea steepers.

@SusanLR do you ever mix mint and white tea?

@vangelis, @Streetwise what kind of decaf? (unknown vs. solvent-based vs. swiss water process vs. carbon dioxide?) Do you find it tastes different to regular coffee? (I don't know if I have ever had decaf coffee.....can't recall, so if I have I probably wasn't aware it was decaf.)

@Flinty, I used to quite like coffee crisp -- was never my favorite chocolate bar but it was good. (Can't eat it anymore, probably would still enjoy the taste.)

@Sherlock77, I also grind my own beans. It used be just because its cheaper but I have come to appreciate having control over the coarseness of the grind and I've gotten it into my head that the whole beans will not go stale as quickly (to me, rancid coffee is worse than rancid peanut butter, and in order to be able to afford the coffee I like I stock up when it's on sale). I will drink whatever is available in a pinch, though.

I don't go out for coffee often but I am ever going out for coffee in Calgary I will keep your suggested coffee shops in mind (I also like to support the local independent shops).

@OkRad: I have had energy drinks but they are not my cup of tea (is that an accidental play on words there?).

@Chance, Naked Blue Machine juice sounds delicious.

@WereBear, is half-calf a mix of decaf and regular coffee?

I find coffee quite calming. When I have to do stressful, anxiety-producing things I have a cup of coffee to steady myself. Not sure if there is an inverted-U effect for this where if I had too much the effects would reverse.....not really keen to experiment, though.
Wow! This is one of the most informative posts ever!! You answered everyone! Thank you, Tortoise.

And did I mention my coffee grinder, a vintage 1960's Braun KSM1 coffee grinder, considered to be the first electric grinder ever made... A flea market find, mine is yellow... Is that hard core enough for you? :D

A gif photo I found...

Braun-1967-KSM1.gif

A History of Braun Design, Part 4: Kitchen Appliances - Core77
when I saw your coffee grinder it reminded me of the terrible scene in city slickers when Billy Crystals character operates an electric coffee grinder and starts a stampede.

I have about 3 cups of dark roast in the morning, with a little sugar and milk. Days are rare when I don't drink it. Coffee is one of the things I feel very fortunate to have.

Tortoise you might like Costa Rican coffee- you use a bag called a chorreador or a bolsa (https://www.amazon.com/Ticoland-Col...=1514678915&sr=8-1&keywords=chorreador+filter) put coffee finely ground in it and pour the water over it. The coffee has to be almost like powder it's so finely ground. The only cleanup is to invert the bag over the sink and rinse it out (without soap). Bag is made from linen like fabric. This is the best coffee I've ever tasted- Costa Rica is famous for its coffee and sometimes you can get the beans in places like Costco or a good supermarket. But you'd have to have a grinder I guess and don't know if you'd want to invest in that. Anyway just a suggestion.

This is really cool, I am going to try it someday (the bag is something I could make, too) :)

(Also woulx like to try the metrios coffee that @Ambi mentioned, that sounds interesting -- although I am not sure I could drink a lot of it because of all the sugar.)

I do have a grinder, I grind the beans for my pot of coffee every morning. Actually I have 2 coffee grinders because I wanted one for a dedicated eggshell grinder when i started making my cat's food.

Wow! This is one of the most informative posts ever!! You answered everyone! Thank you, Tortoise.

Not everyone, but I did read everybody's posts and all of them made me happy :)

@Goldtiger, do you put a lot of butter or just a little bit? I can see how that would taste really good -- I sometimes buy unhomogenized whole milk for my coffee and the extra cream in the first cups (since the cream floats to the top most of it ends up in the first few cups) is awesome....I also enjoy watching the lumps of cream melt and form little globules at the top.

Black, with sugar and mostly as just an after-dinner/dessert drink.

Keeping it desirable and affordable. :)

Coffee is okay but I prefer tea. I drink coffee every so often. I like coffee either black or with a little sugar, I don't like milk or cream in coffee.

This is really cool, I am going to try it someday (the bag is something I could make, too) :)

(Also woulx like to try the metrios coffee that @Ambi mentioned, that sounds interesting -- although I am not sure I could drink a lot of it because of all the sugar.)

I do have a grinder, I grind the beans for my pot of coffee every morning. Actually I have 2 coffee grinders because I wanted one for a dedicated eggshell grinder when i started making my cat's food.

Not everyone, but I did read everybody's posts and all of them made me happy :)

@Goldtiger, do you put a lot of butter or just a little bit? I can see how that would taste really good -- I sometimes buy unhomogenized whole milk for my coffee and the extra cream in the first cups (since the cream floats to the top most of it ends up in the first few cups) is awesome....I also enjoy watching the lumps of cream melt and form little globules at the top.
Oops...I think I got it wrong. You can get the Greek coffee with no sugar, medium sugar, or lots of sugar. I think with lots of sugar is where it's equal amounts coffee and sugar. But medium/metrios would be with half the amount of sugar. It is amazing to me, though some others say it's like drinking sludge, lol :)

Oops...I think I got it wrong. You can get the Greek coffee with no sugar, medium sugar, or lots of sugar. I think with lots of sugar is where it's equal amounts coffee and sugar. But medium/metrios would be with half the amount of sugar. It is amazing to me, though some others say it's like drinking sludge, lol :)

Like sludge? This puzzles me....

Like sludge? This puzzles me....
So, the coffee beans are ground to a fine powder, then are poured right into the water - so the coffee contains the coffee grinds. Other than people who grew up in cultures that drink it this way, I don't know of many who enjoy it, but I love it. I like the Greek way - with just sugar added. I have had a different middle-eastern style that had spices included, maybe cardamom? I didn't like that kind as much - just sugar for me :) Also, it is black - no milk or creamer added (that I've seen, anyway).

Early 2017 I started drinking a lot of coffee. Found out after a few months of it I was having bone and leg pains. Long story short, I quit drinking coffee and the pains went away.
I had a similar but much worse problem 5 years earlier from drinking excessive amounts of diet mountain dew. Maybe it's something to do with the caffeine?

McDonald's large coffee black. One or two a day, every day. Nothing added.

Maybe they would have Plantation Mint in Arab? I don't think they're worried about being offensive over there.

Oh yeah, same here. This is my favorite, but I have to mail order it because not a single store in Huntsville carries the stuff because the name is offensive:

For an offensive product it's easily obtained here as well. Apart from being in my cupboard. :p

So, the coffee beans are ground to a fine powder, then are poured right into the water - so the coffee contains the coffee grinds. Other than people who grew up in cultures that drink it this way, I don't know of many who enjoy it, but I love it. I like the Greek way - with just sugar added. I have had a different middle-eastern style that had spices included, maybe cardamom? I didn't like that kind as much - just sugar for me :) Also, it is black - no milk or creamer added (that I've seen, anyway).

Hmmmmm.....not sure how I would find the texture of that. Might be good if it is smooth enough....or it might be like a liquid version of powdery apples (which I have a lot of trouble with).

I make my coffee with the grounds poured right into the water, but they are ground up coarsely so they don't get swished up into the liquid as easily once they've sunk to the bottom of the pot (and then cup).

@Sportster and @Judge: the "Plantation Mint", it is curious to me that they don't just market it under different names in different places; Don't big companies do that with their products all the time based on marketing data?

@Butterfly88: Yay coffee jokes! But I feel sad for the little anthropomorphized coffee mug...

Last edited:
Here's a generator that will tell you which coffee beverage is most like you.
Generator Land: Which Coffee Beverage Are You?

All you have to do is click the button that says "espresso yourself."

That's all you have to do. :)

Yes, over to the left it does say Login.
Ignore that.
It is not pertinent.
Any one can access these generators and there
is no requirement to Login/Register/Sign Up...etc.

If you don't feel adequately represented by the result you got, click again. :coffee:

Here's a generator that will tell you which coffee beverage is most like you.
Generator Land: Which Coffee Beverage Are You?

All you have to do is click the button that says "espresso yourself."

That's all you have to do. :)

Yes, over to the left it does say Login.
Ignore that.
It is not pertinent.
Any one can access these generators and there
is no requirement to Login/Register/Sign Up...etc.

If you don't feel adequately represented by the result you got, click again. :coffee:

I kept clicking it and clicking it till I saw the one I liked go by.

Yes, I drink coffee, and I'm addicted to it. Milk and no sugar. If, for some reason, I can't drink it, I get a headache after a day or so. But that's all. I drink 3 cups a day. I prefer filter coffee, but I can't be bothered to clean all the bits of the coffee machine and I always forget to buy filters, so I usually have instant.

New Threads

Top Bottom